Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
September 11-17th 2023

I've just returned from the Northern Territory of Australia where we enjoyed a fantastic safari. This is properly remote country, true wilderness seen by very few people. Alex Jagers, from Big Country Safaris, holds the hunting rights to 1.2 million acres of Arnhemland wilderness. No fences, no agriculture, no roads, and no people. It was my second time hunting this area, and the improvements made to camp on a river's edge were notable. It now has a permanent dining area, two bathrooms with gas hot showers, canvas tents with stretcher beds, and an awesome campfire area. Very comfortable, but still wild with a minimal footprint.

I flew into Darwin late and the next morning at dawn we travelled the 10 hours out to the concession. Hunting would commence the next day. Two Polaris 5-seater buggies are used to access the hunting areas, hunting is by spot & stalk, and also by still hunting along creeks and springs. There are a LOT of buffalo in the area, you will see hundreds each day in the search for old trophy bulls.

On day one, we walked a 10km loop, which was a challenge in the heat. My friend Francois took a fantastic trophy Boar, and a nice heavy buffalo bull, his first animals in Australia.

20230912_134340.jpg

The next day we pushed further out in the buggy and looked at a lot of country and animals. My main target was a red Scrub Bull, but when late in the afternoon we found a fantastic buffalo bull, I couldn't resist. After a short stalk, my Sako AV 375H&H hit him very hard, and after two more quick shots, he toppled over dead. A lovely old bull over the 100" mark, with a scarred-up boss and plenty of character I couldn't have been happier.

received_658896129544994.jpeg

On our third full day's hunting, we travelled a couple of hours to another river system where Scrub cattle were more prevalent. Again late in the afternoon my chance came, I only had a small window through thick cover as the bull got nervous, but made it count with a 270gn Atomic 29 bullet hitting the mark. A great cleanskin Scrubber, and just what I was after.

20230914_165906.jpg

20230914_170414.jpg

More to come...

During the rest of the week, my friend @Mark R took a solid boar, and after stalking a lot of bulls looking for Mr. Right, he took a super heavy old management hull, both with his VC double 400NE with Woodleigh Hydros. He will probably be along with more details;)

FB_IMG_1695754624154.jpg

IMG-20230914-WA0011.jpg

Francois also took a big trophy buffalo cow. Let me say, the genetic quality of the cows in this area is ridiculous, there are some HUGE old cows around that make spectacular trophies, albeit not as heavy as the bulls.

I'll finish with a couple of camp photos. I'd highly recommend this hunt if you want a great adventure in true wilderness. Alex is a great guy, fastidious with his gear, a hilarious natural storyteller who never stops working. And above all, he's one of the few operators doing it 100% above board in the NT, with the correct Corporate Licence, land permits and royalties in place. He's a straight shooter who will give you a great hunting experience in fantastic buffalo country. With enough other species on offer to add variety to the hunt. I didn't find myself a trophy boar; guess I'll just have to book again;)

Thanks for reading.

IMG_20230923_070635_878.jpg

20230917_061218.jpg

20230917_061142.jpg

Any corocs in that creek??:oops:

Yes mate there are, but only the freshwater variety this far inland. They stay well fed on buffalo trimmings haha.

Nice haul, good work Tim & Mark!

Also, I like the camp setup. Looks comfortable.

Nice haul, good work Tim & Mark!

Also, I like the camp setup. Looks comfortable.

Thank you mate. It's a fantastic spot, I'd settled in nicely and didn't want to leave!

Congrats on such a fine hunt. Sounds like a blast. Great trophies for sure. Thanks for the great write up. I enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics.

Awesome adventure, Tim and Mark! Well done!

Cheers Benny. I've been lucky to do a few NT hunts now and they're all good, but this one was special ;)

Congrats on such a fine hunt. Sounds like a blast. Great trophies for sure. Thanks for the great write up. I enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics.

Thank you, appreciate you reading.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great trophies, congrats and thanks for sharing !

Very nice Tim. You know any good taxidermist ? :ROFLMAO: How are those bull hides to work with? Thick and stiff I imagine.

Thanks Gents, appreciate it.

Very nice Tim. You know any good taxidermist ? :ROFLMAO: How are those bull hides to work with? Thick and stiff I imagine.

I know a guy, but he won't get to them for about 4 years. And his alcohol bill sucks! ;)

The Buff capes are something else. Over an inch thick and super tough. One must score them heavily to get salt penetration, and it's tough work in the heat. We usually brine them in a salt bath the first night to get them cool, before final preparation and salting.

They take a LOT of work on a fleshing machine but actually tan up quite nicely one property thinned. The Scrub bulls are almost a pleasure in comparison ;)

At least he’s not sleeping with your wife…… or not often :LOL::ROFLMAO:

During the rest of the week, my friend @Mark R took a solid boar, and after stalking a lot of bulls looking for Mr. Right, he took a super heavy old management hull, both with his VC double 400NE with Woodleigh Hydros. He will probably be along with more details;)

View attachment 559862
View attachment 559863

Francois also took a big trophy buffalo cow. Let me say, the genetic quality of the cows in this area is ridiculous, there are some HUGE old cows around that make spectacular trophies, albeit not as heavy as the bulls.

I'll finish with a couple of camp photos. I'd highly recommend this hunt if you want a great adventure in true wilderness. Alex is a great guy, fastidious with his gear, a hilarious natural storyteller who never stops working. And above all, he's one of the few operators doing it 100% above board in the NT, with the correct Corporate Licence, land permits and royalties in place. He's a straight shooter who will give you a great hunting experience in fantastic buffalo country. With enough other species on offer to add variety to the hunt. I didn't find myself a trophy boar; guess I'll just have to book again;)

Thanks for reading.

View attachment 559873
View attachment 559874
View attachment 559875
Congratulations! Looks like an awesome time.

This is on my list for sure - looks like a great trip! Congrats and appreciate you taking the time to share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne847393

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.