AUSTRALIA: Aussie Buffalo Hunt With Mates - & A Few Decent Pigs

Nice! The nine-three did the job. I just scaled up my double from a Sabatti 9.3x74R to a WJ Jeffery 450-400 3" - can't wait to use it on Buffalo!
Hi JCE
Very nice upgrade, all the best and please post pictures of teh new calibre in action Sir.

Thanks
Nembwe
<*{{{--<

Will do! But I'm currently planning a trip to NZ in May next year to hunt Sika Deer, Chamois and Tahr - we'll be taking a couple of Weatherbys for that. Buffalo hopefully get onto Buffalo with the Jeffery DR late next year.

Hello fellow AH followers.

I together with two friends were able to get up into the Northern Territory onto a station where I do some pasture and grazing work, we were able to assist the local farmers with feral pig population control that number into the thousands, not as bad a FNQ just yet but after a season of well over 80" just over 2000mm of rain fall there were many many pigs across the station.

We were a bit early on in the season and there was still lots of water holes around as one would expect after a tremendous wet season, we were very lucky to see plenty of Buff and found some nice bulls, I am not a great storyteller like so many talented scribes on the site, so I may let the pictures do the talking.

We spotted my Bull around 200 meters out and decided after seeing his mass and sweep that my rifle - Krigehoff 9.3x74R- would fit into his spread and that's enough for me, as good as a trophy in anyone's book.

The binoculars and ash bottle were working overtime with a swirling wind and some burnt out cover there wasn't much to hide behind, I managed to get into position at 48 meters and when he stepped out behind a small palm that had prevented me talking my shot and a lengthy stare down - he knew we were there but just couldn't make up his mind as what we were so the usually " you owe me money " stare game was on and patience was much needed, the biting flies - March flies -were also in full swing with day temps pushing 33-35 so with a needle into ones calf every now and then it wasn't pleasant not being able to dispatch those little buggers.

My Bull eventually decided that he had seen enough and stepped out at 48 meters he presented a broad side shot for me, the Krigehoff dispatched a 285gr round at 2180fps and the round landed well, 3 seconds later the 2nd 285gr soft found its mark slightly quartering away from me, he dropped like a sack of potatoes. I made the comment to my fellow hunter - " that's why I shoot a double :giggle: " - while we were still standing and admiring the happenings of the past 10-15 seconds, with the life determination my Bull struggles to get to his feet and turns to see what/who has brought so much pain and who/what is trying to end his life. These, as we know and their African cousins are tough beasts, I had reloaded, and as soon as he spun to look for me, I was able to secure a safe shot behind his ear into the massive neck and this put him back on the ground where we paid our final respects.

What a beast! when one gets close to these impressive bulls you have renewed respect for them and the determination to live, my bull measured just over 100" and as mentioned my rifle fitted between his spread with some extra " either side, his mass was impressive, and we estimated him to be between 10-12 years old. Having grown up in Africa and hunted there for many years it still grabs at one's strings when you approach such an animal and donning one's hat and kneeling down beside him gives me the satisfaction and reward for the sport we love.

I also had the privilege to guide my good friend into his first buffalo and he was able to make a frontal chest shot at around 38 meters which hit home hard, similar rounds were used we were in thick forest a follow up shot put him down and we needed to add another two rounds for insurance.

We were also, as mentioned able to assist with a few piggies, I was able to shoot a boar from 52 meters out and hit him square with the 285grs I think I was a bit close for the rounds to have the full impact however the piggie took off as though he got the fright of its life, there were discussions that I had missed, I even had those thoughts, the pig as mentioned ran like the proverbial bat out of hell, when I got to the shooting site there were two distinct sprays of blood either side of where he was standing, a blood trial a blind chap could follow, so I knew I had hit home, good red frothy blood led us about 50-60 meters then suddenly stopped, we had a few thoughts and I mentioned the volume of blood that this pig has expelled there couldn't be much blood left in its lungs to keep him going, so what now..
150 meters away from the impact shot we found my pig estimated at 80 kg he had an entrance and exit wound of mammoth proportions- see pictures, for him to have kept on running without any blood left for an additional 80-90 meters was unbelieve, and again showed the resilience to live and survive on adrenaline.

Enjoy the pictures and thanks again for an amazing forum where one can share and learn so much.

View attachment 553896
100" nice half moon
View attachment 553897
Krieghoff Classic 9.3x74R fits into the sweep.
View attachment 553908
What neck! solid and impressive strength...
View attachment 553909
Nothing like spending time in Gods creation with mates.
View attachment 553902
"you owe me money"
View attachment 553910
To quote a well-known Aussie " thats not a back strap - this is a back strap."
View attachment 553913
I was privileged to guide my friend onto his first buffalo, a widespread bull indeed ..
View attachment 553904
Nice piggie - tough piggie
View attachment 553905
Tusky :giggle:
View attachment 553906
Entry at 52 Met 285gr @ 2180fps
View attachment 553907
Exit 150met later :oops::oops:

Nembwe
<*{{{--<
Great photos and report Nembwe. Quick question. How easy (or difficult) is it find a Krieghoff double rifle over there in Oz?

Great photos and report Nembwe. Quick question. How easy (or difficult) is it find a Krieghoff double rifle over there in Oz?
Hi Tiger

It can be challenging for us double folks here in Aus, however if you are keen and are prepared to wait for some then they do pop up every now and then, I think there is a 3-barrel 470/9.3/12gg combination that may be available however I don't have a price.

Thanks
Nembwe
<*{{{--<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorinneBro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double