Aussie DG, the drop bear

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Don't know what an Aussie drop bear is?. In the simplest of terms it's a carnivorous Koala that drops from the trees onto the head of an unsuspecting passer by. Thylarctos plummetus is one of the many marsupials of Australia, and most native animals are marsupials for some strange reason. Carnivorous marsupials are not rare; the marsupial Lion of prehistoric times, (look them up in Wokeypedia) last century it was the Tasmanian Tiger (old stripey is now extinct - so we're told), and still roaming around and scaring people is the Tasmanian Devil, a dedicated carnivore. If you've ever seen two devils fighting over a carcass you'll get my drift. So imagine a drop bear twice the size of a devil and twice as nasty. The drop bears inhabit the coastal areas, in the bush, and on road signs. We know they like road signs because of the amount of bullet holes in them from local yokels. Drop bears are not related to drop-outs, drop-bys or drop-kicks or other pests, but they are related to the Wombat. I haven't mentioned the Yowie, a smaller version of Sasquatch which is found around Kilcoy in Southern Queensland, because nobody has caught one and we don't know if it's a marsupial or not. Cheers

Last edited:
most native animals are marsupials for some strange reason.

Nothing strange about it. Aussies are a pragmatic bunch, and being able to rear children in a handbag is very practical indeed.

Don't know what an Aussie drop bear is?. In the simplest of terms it's a carnivorous Koala that drops from the trees onto the head of an unsuspecting passer by. Thylarctos plummetus is one of the many marsupials of Australia, and most native animals are marsupials for some strange reason. Carnivorous marsupials are not rare; the marsupial Lion of prehistoric times, (look them up in Wokeypedia) last century it was the Tasmanian Tiger (old stripey is now extinct - so we're told), and still roaming around and scaring people is the Tasmanian Devil, a dedicated carnivore. If you've ever seen two devils fighting over a carcass you'll get my drift. So imagine a drop bear twice the size of a devil and twice as nasty. The drop bears inhabit the coastal areas, in the bush, and on road signs. We know they like road signs because of the amount of bullet holes in them from local yokels. Drop bears are not related to drop-outs, drop-bys or drop-kicks or other pests, but they are related to the Wombat. I haven't mentioned the Yowie, a smaller version of Sasquatch which is found around Kilcoy in Southern Queensland, because nobody has caught one and we don't know if it's a marsupial or not. Cheers
I wanted to add that the common Koala unlike its cuzzie-bro the drop bear, is a harmless vegetarian, one of the few you can cuddle, and is protected and endangered. Koala deaths come from domestic and wild dogs, road kills, but most of all from arsonists. During the summer bushfire season, arsonists kill thousands of them. Rescue teams go through the burned out bush areas and recover whatever they can and special hospitals are set up to save them and other animals brought in. The Koala instinct in a fire is to climb, and the fire gets them in the tops.

Thanks. Believe it or not (not Ripley) I've never seen a koala in the wild in Queensland, but down in northern Victoria along the Murray river near Tocumwal I've seen treeloads of them. They are a lovely animal, in line for extinction at the rate they're disappearing. Clearing native trees for development doesn't help but since when did developers give a rat's rectum.

Here is one in my shed,he sat there for half a day,we had them in our yard trees,RedGums.

koala post.jpg

@Cervus elaphus
Mate there have been lots of reports of yowies down in the Pilliga Forrest as well. Truck drivers will not even pull up in that area to sleep no matter how tired they are.
In the last 25 years the dreaded bloody drop bear has been moving from the coastal areas and can now be found as far west as Gunnedah.
@CBH used to work for the parks dept oround Griffith and may be able to give an update on these bastards. There was a story not long back a bloke in our area had his face savagely ripped open by a drop bear on his way home from the pub.
Those that know him reckon it was done by his missus when he got home pissed. He is adamant that it was a drop bear and said he had a photo to prove it but he lost his phone.
Visitors to Australia are warned about all our dangerous spiders an snakes and crocs but aren't told about dropp bears or yowies.
Bob

Imagine waking up inside a Tassie devil !
@Cervus elaphus
I woke up to a more dangerous animal once.
My 2nd wife when I called her the name of my first wife in my sleep.
A tassie devil had nothing on her.
Bob

@Cervus elaphus
I woke up to a more dangerous animal once.
My 2nd wife when I called her the name of my first wife in my sleep.
A tassie devil had nothing on her.
Bob
Serves ya right.
@Cervus elaphus
Mate there have been lots of reports of yowies down in the Pilliga Forrest as well. Truck drivers will not even pull up in that area to sleep no matter how tired they are.
In the last 25 years the dreaded bloody drop bear has been moving from the coastal areas and can now be found as far west as Gunnedah.
@CBH used to work for the parks dept oround Griffith and may be able to give an update on these bastards. There was a story not long back a bloke in our area had his face savagely ripped open by a drop bear on his way home from the pub.
Those that know him reckon it was done by his missus when he got home pissed. He is adamant that it was a drop bear and said he had a photo to prove it but he lost his phone.
Visitors to Australia are warned about all our dangerous spiders an snakes and crocs but aren't told about dropp bears or yowies.
Bob
Been to Gunnedah, lovely town. Didn't know about the yowies though. At least you haven't got the Bunyip down your way, the lakes aren't safe up here.
Pleased to say there's no cryptids like that in kiwiland, the most dangerous thing is a mainland Chinese tourist in a rental car and they're not rare.

Last edited:
Serves ya right.

Been to Gunnedah, lovely town. Didn't know about the yowies though. At least you haven't got the Bunyip down your way, the lakes aren't safe up here.
Pleased to say there's no cryptids like that in kiwiland, the most dangerous thing is a mainland Chinese tourist in a rental car and they're not rare.
@Cervus elaphus
Mate there are bunyip down the Murray at Murray Bridge, there's even signs up warning about them since a few kids and adults have been taken over the years.
Any tourist that drives on the left hand side of the road is dangerous here. The worst are the ones with 30 cameras outbound there neck, knee high socks, shorts, loud shirts and even louder voices. These voice can be heard in multiple languages but the funniest are those that say:-
Dang Ethel I ain't seen nothin like that at home or Ethel they ain't nothin like us ,where's the oil wells like we got at home. OR the best one wadda y'all call that.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@Cervus elaphus
Bob
For the curious, the Bunyip (well known in Aboriginal folk law and dreamtime stories ) looks like a cross between a Rottweiler and a large Perentie (sand monitor or Goanna). It would eat a Yowie for a light breakfast.

Last edited:
@Cervus elaphus
Mate there are bunyip down the Murray at Murray Bridge, there's even signs up warning about them since a few kids and adults have been taken over the years.
Any tourist that drives on the left hand side of the road is dangerous here. The worst are the ones with 30 cameras outbound there neck, knee high socks, shorts, loud shirts and even louder voices. These voice can be heard in multiple languages but the funniest are those that say:-
Dang Ethel I ain't seen nothin like that at home or Ethel they ain't nothin like us ,where's the oil wells like we got at home. OR the best one wadda y'all call that.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Now ya tell me. I know Murray Bridge like the back of me left nostril. Been down by road and houseboat from Mannum. Spent some time down at the wharf at MB, didn't realise I was in danger. Do you have any caliber recommendations for the average adult Bunyip? I was thinking a .577 minimum and a claymore maximum.
ps Is that warning sign you're referring in a small tin nissan-hut-like enclosure down near the wharf? If so I shoulda read it

Last edited:
Mate, I’ve woken up next to one one rough morning and that was plenty enough for me!
Not ah, sleeping with a Dingo are you?
Happy to knaw your arm off in the morning after.

Serves ya right.

Is it weird that I know what bunyips and yowies are despite being American and never having visited Australia? We've got plenty of dread critters here in the US, though. Two in my area are pretty similar to y'all's, the Skunk-Ape and the Altamaha-ha. But thankfully the Altamaha River is down that way about an hour and a half, so no Altie for me and Skunk Apes favor the swamps, so no worry there either.

And we have quite a lot of tourists here as well, or we used to. They're mostly just a threat to themselves, kinda like koalas and pandas. Not bright enough for their own good, but without the redeeming cuteness.

Is it weird that I know what bunyips and yowies are despite being American and never having visited Australia? We've got plenty of dread critters here in the US, though. Two in my area are pretty similar to y'all's, the Skunk-Ape and the Altamaha-ha. But thankfully the Altamaha River is down that way about an hour and a half, so no Altie for me and Skunk Apes favor the swamps, so no worry there either.

And we have quite a lot of tourists here as well, or we used to. They're mostly just a threat to themselves, kinda like koalas and pandas. Not bright enough for their own good, but without the redeeming cuteness.
All you need now is chupacabras

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieAlo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.