Auction Hunt in Africa?

Doubleplay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunted
SA, Namibia, Argentina, Uruguay, Turkey, Ireland, England,Czech Republic, Hungary, Bulgaria, Canada and all over US
I'm curious to learn about people who bid and won African hunts at auctions for a very low price.
Lately I'm seeing a lot of them going for ridiculously low prices some of them being %100 donations.
Did you get pressured to shoot more animals then on the auction and how was the overall experience?
Would like to hear specially from people who hunted Africa before the auction hunt.

I'm curious to learn about people who bid and won African hunts at auctions for a very low price.
Lately I'm seeing a lot of them going for ridiculously low prices some of them being %100 donations.
Did you get pressured to shoot more animals then on the auction and how was the overall experience?
Would like to hear specially from people who hunted Africa before the auction hunt
My advice would be to carefully read and understand the auctioned item's decription before you commit. Some offers are almost all-inclusive, and the only thing you need to do is basically to fly to the closest airport wher you will be picked up and dropped off at the conclusion of your hunt.

Other offers include the daily rate only, and you will need to pay for any extra lodging, transportation from the airport to the hunting area, import and/or export permits, dip and pack, trophy fees, etc.

Some outfitters have a business model which consists of getting you in camp at a bargain price for one or two animals. Once you get there you may be tempted (or pressured) to hunt other species, and these additional animals' trophy fees will be much higher than the usual going rate. These hunts usually sell for a very cheap price (for a reason).

I would resisit the temptation to do any impulse buying. Look at the auction items in advance, do reasearch on the outfitter and the typical trophy fees in the country/area where the hunt takes place. Check this forum for hunt reports and the internet for other hunters' experience.

If you find the legit companies that donate the hunt to the SCI
They get credits for the dollar value of the hunt.
For example XYZ donates a hunt they want to be auctioned at Nashville. The more they donate. The better booth location on the floor. Some prime traffic locations are given to the largest donors. If you buy a hunt from a legit auction they are usually vetted. But of course do your homework before bidding. There are some great hunts donated.

Thanks for all the advice.
I'm very familiar how the system works and the tricks some outfitters employ.
I've spent a lot of time in Africa as well.
Having said that I'm curious about the first hand experiences and why some of the legit hunts are going for bargain prices with very few bidders.

It may help if you ask if anyone has hunted with the outfit in question.
There's no particular outfit in my mind.
I'm more curious about first hand experiences of the hunters who won auctions..

I had been to Africa 3 times on my own dime, and then went for my fourth trip via an auction hunt that I "won" at SCI. Communication with the operator (Namibia) was very difficult.......I felt that they were not very interested in scheduling my hunt, replying to questions......just fairly unresponsive. Eventually, one of the SCI moguls helped me connect. The stress of this lack of coms during my planning phase was substantial. Having said that, the hunt itself was as advertised......but then, I was able to recruit 2 additional hunters for their camp. Certainly helped them out. I also did an auction hunt in Spain. Went OK. I would consider both again.....for the right price. But as noted above.....study the offer very carefully...........good luck................FWB

My sixth trip to Africa was my first auction trip, and it will be my last. I purchased it with a friend. Take a picture of the auction description - they were literally pulled from the silent bidding tables and changed once bidding closed. I won’t go on another auction hunt or support that local chapter of an unnamed organization.

All too often the outfitters are coerced into donating a hunt to get admitted to the marketing event. They may not have the capacity to give hunts away. There are just too many ways to make things up in fees. It can become a negotiation headache when this is all supposed to be fun.

I’m sure there are reputable outfitters that donate hunts accepting it’s an all-in loss or hole in their seasonal schedule, and plan to make up for it in tips, if at all. They do it for the benefit of the organization holding the event. I think they’re the minority, and apparently the bidding buyer base does too, hence the low prices bid. If you know reliably you are dealing with straight up outfitter, you could get a good deal…

I would make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger on an auction hunt. I have purchased auction hunts in New Zealand, South Africa, Russia, and Turkey. The first two hunts were awesome however I spent a lot more money to hunt other species vs. what I paid for the auction which was my decision.

The hunt in Russia has been canceled three times for Covid and twice for the war. The plan is to go this spring as I can't get over not hunting brown bears in Kamchatka.

The auction for the hunt in Turkey has been a little different story. When I purchased the hunt at the SCI auction in 2022 it clearly stated you had to hunt in 2022 which I agreed to do. Unfortunately, the country Turkey suspended all Ibex tags that year so there was no way to hunt as there were no tags. I stayed in communication with the outfitter abroad as well as the US representative for this company and it was agreed I would be able to go on the hunt when tags were available.

Last year I attended the SCI show and met with the outfitter, and it seemed everything was on track. Before leaving the show I was told if an Ibex tag became available, they would reach out so we could plan the hunt accordingly. Several weeks later I received a message from Turkey that an Ibex tag had been found and they outlined the dates and times that were available. They also added that the hunt would take place with another company (outfitter) and a standard Ibex would be what to expect however they knew of one trophy Ibex and we would try for that one. I reached out to the US representative and after a lot of conversation it was agreed I would wait to get a tag in the area the outfitter normally hunts and that I would hunt with the outfitter that I planned to hunt with.

Several months later the outfitter is sending me all of the documentation for my hunt in December and requested I deposit $15,000 to secure my spot for this year's hunt. I responded to the email that this was an auction hunt and the hunt had been paid for. The outfitter was quick to respond that this was not an auction hunt that they offered me a hunt that I passed on, so I forfeited my hunt. Don't forget the conversation with the US representative where we agreed to wait until this year for the tag.

I reached out to SCI and we are working through the situation which obvioulsly is unfavorable. I am not publishing the outfitters name however if any of you are considering an Ibex hunt in Turkey and want to know so you don't run into the same issue feel free to private message me and I can
give you that information.

I will definitely look to purchase auction hunts however it will be only with the outfitters I have researched and communicated with before the auction.

I wish you the best on your next hunt!

I've hunted Africa twice, both were Auction Hunts from DSC. First hunt was won while in person at the banquet in Dallas and the other online. Both were very successful, above board and great experiences. Both were Cape buffalo with trophy included and included both hunter and non-hunter.

2011 Zimbabwe: Reputable outfitter, well known and long time sponsor, with USA based booking agent
2016 Mozambique: New firm to DSC, but USA agent was well known and long time member of DSC. Firm had previously focused strictly on Europe and was trying to draw a broader customer base.

Everything went great in 2011. Extra species were per published price list and was competitive with other price lists for the area at that time.

2016 had only one hiccup. We were asked to re-schedule from September to early November or the next year. I was uncomfortable pushing out a year and we live in Florida so my wife and I figured we could handle the heat. And, the firm paid all change fees on our airfare and hotel rooms. Everything else went great and once in-country we found out the conflict that occurred on the scheduling and completely understood.

In both cases I would book and hunt with either outfit again.

Personally, I would never bid on a plains game auction hunt in SA. The prices the reputable outfitters offer in the normal course of business for the product delivered are not that high to attempt to save money. I almost bid on a dangerous game hunt this year, but decided it was best to wait until next year. Day rates on that auction went for about 25% of standard rates.

I’ve done both, the auction hunt I bid on was for a roan, at that time it was the only way I thought I could afford such a high end antelope. I went into the hunt not knowing how it would turn out. At the worst I just donated $4500 to SCI. The Hunt actually was outstanding, besides the roan I shot 3 extra animals off of the price list and the outfitter threw in a reduced price antelope and a free antelope.
I haven’t bid on a hunt since but wouldn’t hesitate to do it again if the price is right and I would try to find people that have won hunts before with the outfitter and talk to them while also researching them.
In the end if the hunt doesn’t turn out well I’m ok with the donation to conservation, I wouldn’t be happy but I could live with it.

Never won an auction hunt in Africa.. but have won several international hunts to other places on auctions…

2 different outfitters in Argentina.. 1 in Peru.. 1 in Ireland..

The hunt in Peru left a bit to be desired… great hunting.. but a marginal operation overall… at the price we paid it was still a serious bargain though and I really can’t complain..

All the others were genuinely wonderful… we were treated just like any other clients.. and had no issues.. no fine print surprises…

We do realize the outfitters get stretched pretty thin on auction hunts so we go out of our way to make it worth it to them.. we typically purchase additional hunts/animals.. I post hunt reports here and I tell people about my experiences and refer other hunters to them, etc..

Maybe we’ve just had exceptional luck.. but we’ll continue to buy an auction hunt whenever the opportunity presents itself… they support DSC/SCI/NWTF, etc.. they are a bargain for us.. and since we add on additional game, the outfitter doesn’t get beat too bad either (I’m guessing most end up making a little money)… so it’s a win/win/win..

We just got an incredible deal on an auction hunt in New Zealand last week at DSC… we are super excited about it..

I am a fan of the auction hunts at the major shows. I have done a few, though I no longer bid on the South African hunts. Those are the ones that are usually sold at very steep discounts. The only reason I don't bid on those hunts is that I have an good relationship with an outfitter in RSA that I use all the time.

I think the auction hunts are a great way for a new-to-Africa hunter to get into the game.

The outfitters have to donate the hunts to participate in DSC, SCI and the other big shows. So they are donating the hunt either way. You can usually get into a good hunt at a low entry price, and then save some money and upgrade the hunt by taking a few extra animals. That works out well for everyone: your Club gets the benefit of the auction donation, the outfitter gets a new relationship, you get a well priced hunt and a few extra African animals for the money committed to the hunt.

Go with a good outfitter and you should have a great time.

I won a drawing hunt with Wintershoek Safaris, that I was unable to take due to a miscommunication problem. I gave them some dates and they never confirmed the dates, so I paid another outfitter for a hunt. And when that outfitter picks me up he tells me he’s supposed to take me to Wintershoek’s place for my Safari. Only problem had go back to the USA after my hunt and could not take the one I won.

I won charity auction for an Elk Hunt in New Mexico. The hunt was ok. the archery hunts cleaned up almost all of the large elk. So the one I shot was on the small size. The real problem occurred after the hunt, the local processor had no room to hold the animal refrigerated so I had to drive back home immediately.

Last edited:
I have purchased several auction hunts from the big name shows. The one rule I won't break is I meet the outfitter first and visit with them as a potential client. If I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about them I won't bid on the hunt. That has served me well and I usually add additional animals if quota and time allow. The internet has no provision for gut feelings. Good luck if you bid!

I have taken auction hunts to BC, Argentina, and South Africa. All were great experiences. I have been back to BC three additional times with the that outfitter, and three additional times with the outfitter in Argentina. Great operations and great people. The hunt in South Africa was a terrific experience which included buffalo and formed the basis for an article in African Hunting Gazette.

I have taken auction hunts to BC, Argentina, and South Africa. All were great experiences. I have been back to BC three additional times with the that outfitter, and three additional times with the outfitter in Argentina. Great operations and great people. The hunt in South Africa was a terrific experience which included buffalo and formed the basis for an article in African Hunting Gazette.
Off topic but what issue was your RSA hunt article in? I enjoyed your article about Takeri and would like to check it out if I still have that issue.

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

I have done two auction hunts, one in South Africa, the other in Namibia. Both were outstanding. I had done no due diligence, but the purchase prices ($600 & $1,200) were such that, if after the fact due diligence had raised concerns, I would simply have walked away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeredithSt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.