Asking Professional Hunters prices for animals you are going to shoot?

Hello all,

I am heading to S. Africa at the end of July with my daughter for the first time. We are very excited! The package we have purchased is for seven animals and we will be there 8 days. I was wondering if there was some kind of protocol for asking the PH prices for cull animals or animals that aren't on my package list? Is this something that should be done before we go hunting or something that can be done in the field when we come across possible target animals? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
First off welcome to the best Africa hunting site there is. Now to answer your question. Like many above have stated you MUST ask every possible question you want too. I always ask if there will be a possibility of cull, ration, rabies or extra animals. Also I ask in an email, print and take with me on hunt as I do contract. There is no harm in asking a question, even the hard to answer ones, I find it tends to make a better safari. No surprises or as few as can be planned for. Enjoy your safari, its a special time more so taking your daughter.

Have fun, see what Africa offers and be prepared for the addiction to enter your very soul. It is life changing.

MB

Just ask for their price list. They should have already provided this to you or it should be on their website. If they don’t have a price list for you I’d be worried.
Philip

I would also inquire about any permissible substitutions of either equal value or upcharge. Maybe this is build into your contract / package but it never hurts to ask when you arrive particularly if you are open to other animals or see some taxidermy at the lodge you all of a sudden like.

Welcome aboard! As all have said, sort it out day one and enjoy the hunt without worrying. You will know what’s in your budget before you hunt if you ask prior. Then do like I do and exceed your budget and figure out how to pay for it when you get home.lol. The nice thing about having your child with you is rarely will you get your ass chewed for going over budget by the wife when it involves her baby. This also works well for buying new rifles for the baby!
follow me for marital advice at your own risk.

who are you hunting with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross