Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Keith, Hopkins and O'Neil fame, or OKH as some know them by. A sometimes amusing look back at yesteryear on safari.
IMG_20191231_0003.jpg

Thanks for sharing, love reading old stories like this!

Enjoy!

Great historical African hunting story! I just knew my wildcatted (from .334 OKH) .338 Win Mag could take any game in Africa! Big 5 in Kenya with my .338 is now my goal! Ha! Ha! Ha! Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Too bad Kenya has been close since the late 70's. Likely never reopen again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you sestoppelman, this is awesome.

One wonders what the OKH trio would have thought of the 250 gr TSX and 225 gr TTSX...

I used to shoot the 250 gr Nosler Partition in my .340 Wby (a very close modern version of the .334 OKH) and even the NP had difficulties staying together under 150 yards. I moved to the 225 gr TTSX. Amazing performance...

Last edited:
Too bad Kenya has been close since the late 70's. Likely never reopen again.
I’m trying to stay positive in the face of impossibility! Besides, apparently one can’t hunt DG in Africa with a .338 anyway? Archery and crossbows, but no .338? It is/ will be (depending where you live) 2020 soon, so maybe some positive things will happen in this arena? Who knows? Anyway, thanks for taking your time with this thread! It is a great hunting account from bygone days!

Thank you, thank you, thank you sestoppelman, this is awesome.
Very welcome! (y) A friend send me this by paper copy and I figured the members would get a kick out of it. Brickburn advised me on the best way to present it.(y) How times have changed from back then, a mere few years before I was born!:eek:

I’m trying to stay positive in the face of impossibility! Besides, apparently one can’t hunt DG in Africa with a .338 anyway? Archery and crossbows, but no .338? It is/ will be (depending where you live) 2020 soon, so maybe some positive things will happen in this arena? Who knows? Anyway, thanks for taking your time with this thread! It is a great hunting account from bygone days!
Its been done before with the .338 WM. Not sure the current situation but I bet some country there would still allow a buff or lion hunt with one. I am a fan of it also.

BTW, that .465 in the article looks conspicuously similar to the few (very few) photos I’ve seen of the mythical unicorn .465 H and H Magnum cartridge manufactured in 2003? Hmm?

Thank you so much for sharing this , Sestoppelman. I read it with great enthusiasm . I learnt something new today. I never knew that the .404 Jeffery rimless cartridge was chambered in a double barreled rifle until now.
I am familiar with the .450/400 Nitro Express , which is used in double barreled rifles and ballistically identical to the .404 Jeffery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois