Arsenal gaps

Your idea of the 6x45 would also work as well as the mentioned 22 centerfire cartridges, but with the ability to throw a bigger bullet. Depending on the rifle you choose, you may be limited to 85gr bullets due to magazine space. Not a bad thing though, a hunting partner of mine uses the Sierra 85gr bthp in his 6x45 and has handily put down several deer. A 75 gr AMAX may open better and vaporize the birds and monkeys
 
Considering people on nearby properties, I dont understand how a centerfire such as the .223 could be considered safer than the 22 Rimfire. The direction of fire (assuming any direction is safe), would need to be the overridding consideration, IMO.
 
If you handload you will love the 6x45.

With 55gr bullets it has about a 200 FPS advantage over the .223.
With 85gr +- bullets it becomes a viable hunting rifle for game up to 400lbs or so.
A .223 will work too, but it’s sooo boring.
 
If you can get it , l would suggest a .22 Savage High Power , also known as a 5.6×52R. My very first hunting rifle was a gun in this Caliber. It was a Savage Model 99 lever action . One of those older models with the 5 round rotary mags. That is probably the most accurate lever action , l have EVER seen. The gun was a literal tack driver. I used to load the gun up with 80 grain sisk bullets and it was a beauty. Back in those days , you could legally hunt a deer with a .22 centre fire in Maine ( maybe you still can , l don't know. It's been many years ) and l took 14 deer with the rifle and it never failed me with neck shots . It also took down 200 pound Feral hogs , coyote rabbit .
The gun's previous owner ( my friend's dad ) even took a black bear with it using a lung shot ( of course l wouldn't recommend doing that with a .22 anyhow , but it's reassuring to know it can be done ) .
You can find old BRNO combination guns in this Caliber , second hand , online or you might also come across the occasional Model 99. Take it . You won't regret it.
Ammunition ( as of 2010 , as far as l know ) is still made by Sellier and Bellot .
I still regret selling mine.
 
222 Remington using 50 grain Bullets. I have used 40 grain Bullets really stoned up with Reloder 7 (basically terrible)
.222 Remington is a very quiet, under appreciated cartridge. I prefer the .22-250, which if legal in your area, can even take small deer sized animals with 62-68gr bullets. Louder report though.
 
I have a 6x45 in SA, love it. I use 100gr round nose for hunting and 70gr Sierra Blitz for playing around with.
 
A Howa in 6.5 Grendel.... Or something more expensive if you'd like.

And get that cheap Russian ammo.....it shoots OK.

My How's weighs 5.7 pounds and does hold a bit less than an inch with the cheap stuff.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,327
Messages
1,573,007
Members
169,682
Latest member
CarmonWxt
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top