Arrow building

Light arrows are part of the problem... Another part is that many of those non-pass thru's are the result of some of these hunters using expandable broadheads. Especially the hunters who are shooting these over-the-top expanadables or giant blades like Rages that cause too much friction eating all the kinetic energy to be ethical or effective..

I know Dries and he has a good group of experienced bow hunting PHs, but I agree with your assessment... For the life of me, I do not know why they allow their clients to shoot these terrible set-ups, and then video the results??

In defense of Mr. Vissers, I assume that these American clients wouldn’t listen if Driess tried to explain their clown shoes archery setup wasn’t optimal. Arguing physics with the average archer that likes fast arrows always ends in a stalemate where your laws of physics and their opinion hold equal weight, with ties going to the home team.

For my buffalo arrow build I used 350 spine and and 450 grains up front including broadhead. 975 total arrow weight. Using a fall away rest I was able to shorten them up enough to get good bullet holes through paper. Penetrated 23 inches, bull went down in 40 yards. 30 yard shot.

Just wanted to share an arrow build update with all of you.

I have a very long draw length, about 31.5". I also like heavy arrows in that 650gr total weight area because it works for everything in North America and almost everything in Africa. (you can shoot on the shoulder, not just behind the shoulder)

I also have powerful IBO rating bows of 340 and 345 IBO.

I looked at the spine charts and found that I wanted to go with a 200 spine arrow since virtually everyone underspines their arrows. I bought Sirius Archery 200 spine arrows cut carbon length of 31-1/4". I had 180gr insert and collar system. I also use 150gr cut on contact broadheads. Total arrow weight of 646gr.

Bottom line is that the arrows would not paper tune. Even after shimming my bows. Even after moving my rests all the way to the right.

To test this theory, I cranked my 68.5lb draw weight down two rotations of the limb bolts and the tear was still there, but reduced by 60%-70%. I believe this is evidence even a 200 spine was not sufficient due to the significant amount of weight up front on a 200 spine, 646gr, 4mm shaft setup.

I then ignored the paper tuning woes and went outside and bare shaft tuned. I got good bare shaft, vaned, and broadhead flight out to 40 yards. However, accuracy at 8-10 yards was inferior to 20 yards which tells me that the dynamic spine is weak and the arrows haven't stiffened out yet.

***Now the rub***. I discussed this with Sirius Archery and they vehemently disagreed with my opinion on this matter. They thought 200 spine was PLENTY of spine, maybe too much spine, and that both my bows had other defects. I then discussed this with a 4x world champion professional archer and he disagrees with them, it is underspined. He then contacted another famous world champion archer to discuss the matter and he too agreed that it was underspined.

So right now the working theory is that long arrows start to get a very problematic dynamic spine, probably worse because it's 4mm shafts rather than 6mm shafts.

First step I'm taking is that I will be putting wraps on the tail end of my arrow that should reduce FOC slightly and put stiffness on the tail. Second, the arrows will be cut down 1" which removes 11gr from the front. (that was added to the back with the wraps). It is my hope that this resolves the problem. If it does not, I will need to think about what .166" object I can glue into the head of the arrow the strengthen the spine near the front of the arrow modestly to create the same effect as shortening the arrow further.

I experience shaft "bulge" w/o using BAR on Easton Axis and FMJ BH's that utilize the HIT insert. With the BAR- no problems experienced.

Make sure to use the correct size BAR on the arrow shaft diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg