ARGENTINA: Nice Hunt With MG Hunting - Blackbuck & Axis Deer

Pedro picked us up at 7A the following morning and drove us to meet a fishing guide on the Rio de la Plata. We loaded into his boat and took a 45 minute (?) ride to our fishing location. The banks were lined with houses of all shapes and sizes. This river tour was worth the ride. Finally we arrived at our location and our guide rigged our rods, baiting them with live fish set on a very large hook! Further there was a wire leader which indicated the fish had teeth... Holy Cow, what are we fishing for! The rods were cast out and it wasnt long and I could tell something was messing with my bait. I set the hook, but it was a missed attempt. I reeled my bait in to find something had bit the tail off clean. Pedro hooked a fish and handed me the rod to reel the fish in. It turned out to be a piranha looking fish, but was not. I was told at least three times what these fish were but cannot recall the proper names. EIther way, we caught about 6 to 10 of these and had a good time doing it. Our target species, the golden dorado remained untouched. We moved to another location to try our luck there. Along the way, Pedro excitedly pointed something in the river ahead of us. I looked and saw a deer swimming the river. They were excited and my wife was telling me to get pictures. I didnt want to take my eyes off the deer but did for a moment and by the time I got my phone up, the deer had disappeared into the tules. This, I learned was the very rare Marsh Deer. They cannot be hunted anywhere in their range and are rarely seen locally. As a former biologists and former game warden, I felt privileged at this chance encounter.

We tried a few more locations but failed to turn up a golden Dorado. The river was what we call in Oregon as "out of shape," meaning the river was carrying silt and debris from a runoff somewhere. When we returned to the dock, the river was 4 feet or more higher than when we left. Not good fishing conditions and clearly outside of the guides control. The river ride was worth the price of admission. Shannon told me this morning that she would like to try this again as she really loved the trip.
20200127_083232.jpg
20200127_081325.jpg
20200127_145714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20200129_150221_HDR.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
As I review where I am at in this story, I realize I have left out several meals and other experiences that have made this a truly memorable experience. Suffice it to say that everything was great to excellent. I will conclude with other photos and what not. I will try to finish up now.

The following day was the last day with MG Hunting. This final day, Pedro picked us up about 1 PM (at our request), and took us to Florida Street for our shopping trip. It was interesting and more purchases were made, including multiple belts (as gifts) for about 6 to 8 dollars US each. They were a hit at home. Some other little gifts and wine were found and it was a nice little run up and down this market place. While driving to and from, we were able to see more of the sights of Buenos Aires and really enjoyed this time.

Once done, Pedro left us at our Hotel and we said our farewells. Shannon and I had booked an additional night and had a full extra evening and day ahead of us on our own.

In this time, we did more exploring by walking from the hotel. We also took a cab to San Telmo for more shopping and lunch, watching Tango while we ate. Then it was off to La Boca district where we picked up more souvenirs and watched even more Tango dancing. During this time we found even more worth exploring but time was beginning to wind down. This was perfect as it left Shannon with a desire to return for more.

Just some notes, odds and ends for others considering this trip:
*Spanish is not necessary but If there is enough time, I would suggest taking a class in conversational Spanish or doing what you can to learn some basic words. I took a few such classes 25 years ago as prep for my law enforcement career and found what little I could remember was useful. I believe we will return again and will definitely take some refresher courses.

* The official exchange rate was about 60 to 1 US dollar. However the exchange rate is better on the "black market." On Florida Street, there were anywhere from 3 to 10 money changers per block yelling out "Cambio, cambio, cambio." I think I heard an exchange rate of 72:1 minus a service fee. Ask around before you go.

*The food was great where-ever we went. Most menus were in Spanish but would have the English translation in fine print or on another page. Food was very reasonable, even at the high end places.

*Shannon wants me to state that the location of our Hotel was wonderful as we could walk about safely and there were places to shop and eat nearby. It was also within walking distance of many local historic points of interest.

*She also says most of the street fairs/bazaars are on the weekends and worth planning around.

Sounds like a great experience. I'd say you took some nice trophies as well as had a great experience. I have wanted to go, but it seems that it's rather costly to get animals back. Would love to know what charges amount to for dip/pack/shipping. Thanks for the report. Congrats.
Bruce

Sounds like a great experience. I'd say you took some nice trophies as well as had a great experience. I have wanted to go, but it seems that it's rather costly to get animals back. Would love to know what charges amount to for dip/pack/shipping. Thanks for the report. Congrats.
Bruce
+1

If you ever considered going, now is a great time. When I first went more than a decade ago, the exchange rate was around 17 to 1. Unfortunately for the Argentine people, they recently have been experiencing a financial crisis with terrible inflation. As a result, everything in the country seems to be at fire sale prices. For instance, last summer, the finest pair of hand made boots in the finest store on Florida St were less than 200 dollars - a decade ago over 500. It is a wonderful destination for a non hunting spouse.

Last edited:
What an awesome report! Thank you so much for sharing! And WOW what a pair of trophies!

Not sure how I missed this report. Fantastic. I didn't see it mentioned and it might have been because I was distracted by the pictures but what did the Blackbuck measure? Both trophies are sensational.

It was a fine hunt and we decided up front that it was photos only. The animals were left with ranch staff. A decision I have since regretted a dozen times or more.

It was a fine hunt and we decided up front that it was photos only. The animals were left with ranch staff. A decision I have since regretted a dozen times or more.
You have the photos and the memories, no better trophy to be had than sharing the experience with your wife.

Look's to have been a great trip, wonderful write up thanks for sharing.

That trip was completed just before the Covid craze hit the US. My thoughts at the time were that to just take pics and be happy with the memories. I had multiple trips planned for Africa, Romania and Croatia. To date, due to Covid and the related problems, none of those additional trips have been completed. My wife glows when she talks about Argentina and longs to go back. Now I wish I had those trophies as a center piece in my home to remind us both of that wonderful trip that happened before the world lost it's mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois