ARGENTINA: Has Anyone hunted With MG Hunting?

Devin Callis

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Mex/S.Amer
Hello Everyone,
a friend and myself have booked a trip to Argentina with MG Hunting and we leave in 39 days for red stag, black buck and if opportunity presents its self some other animals possibly. does anyone have any recent feedback on them? I have been to Africa 2 times how does it compare to Africa? looking forward to going and hopefully hear some recent feedback from Argentina.

I hunted with Pedro Gil (owner with his brothers) and Rocket (guide) on a two day hunt last May for Blackbuck and Axis deer on a ranch maybe two hours south from Buenos Aires ( short hunt ranches) I was duck hunting with another outfitter but wanted a quick Big-game hunt to check out these quick short hunts I have read about on AH and other magazine articles.. I did not hunt their main ranch where you will be hunting (15,000 Hectares). It turned out to be a very wise decision. They are great people and I got to top notch animals for such a short hunt. Anyways Red Leg an AH member was my reference and he had previously hunted with them twice. His comment to me was you are “in good hands do not worry about anything “. I second that statement without hesitation. Your going to have a great hunt. Enjoy!!

I hunted with them a few years back. The food and general dining experience is actually better than Africa, if that is possible;) I'm not usually a big drinker, but if you like wine, they will have you well covered. And about anything else you drink. The evening meal is multi course and by the time they bring out the huge beef steaks, I had a hard time finding room. You are fed a big breakfast, go out hunting. Come in for lunch and a nap or down time. Then hunt the evening followed by a huge meal.

The accommodations are very good. Big lodge, dining hall and area to hang out in front with big windows and views to the hunting areas. There is a kitchen area where the family tends to gather. Marcelo is very picky about yhe food and sens to oversee the kitchen closely.. Something different is the hired guides go off to their own area and don't spend a lot of time between hunting with clients. You go to a family member if you want or need anything.

The lodge building has guest quarters down a long hallway. En Suite bathrooms. Comfortable quarters but not large rooms. Clean and well kept. Laundry and all you need right there in one building.

The closest hunting areas you just walk to. Others are a short drive.. Listen for stags roaring and make a plan to stalk them. You will stalk in on many you pass before finding a shooter. Marcelo has annual repeat clients/friends who have come back for many years. There was a very pleasant Chilean Doctor in camp who was on his 13th year running and Marcelo guided him. The doctor had a friend from Panama who referred to himself as the Panamaniac! I think we had 6 hunters in camp, one could hunting together so 5 guides.

I hunted with @ROCKET who's English is very good and he is just a great guy and very fun to hunt with. We enjoyed stalking within feet of roaring stags:) The whole operation is a family affair with Marcelo and his sons running everything.

You should be there in the rut! I hope you are hunting free range which is large cattle ranches that have periodic breaks with cattle fences. It's possible you may catch a stag crossing these areas as they simply hop those fences without much effort. I enjoyed this hunting immensely. I took two stags. If you take a stag early on, negotiate a second or it sounds like you will go after black buck.

For black buck I suspect they will take you to a neighboring property that is high fenced with black buck. If you want an Estate stag. Which is one raised in a high fence and managed to have very large antlers, that is available at a cost. A few people went after black buck and found it very challenging as they are skittish and had to shoot at longer ranges.

Most or all clients used camp guns which were very good. Ruger M77 i think Mark II's which i have many and am accustomed to so almost line shooting my own rifle. I used a 300 win mag. I think they had several. A woman in camp, who's husband bow hunted, used a 270 win which I think was the smallest available. I believe the Dr. used a 338 win mag. Only thing k not prefect on the rifle was a fixed 6x scope. For that type hunting a lower power would be better but it sufficed and was accurate.

Marcel will give an orientation talk and tell you to expect to shoot through some brush. Listen to your guide and if he says shoot. Do your best to quickly find a hole through the brush to a vital area on the critter but don't let a few small twigs stop you from pulling the trigger. It will likely be close range. It can be challenging for the guide to get a decent look at the antlers.

Take rain gear that will not rip in brush. Comfortable water proof boots. It is sandy so not slogging through water, but we hunted in the rain a couple times and got the closest to the stags that way as rain is great cover.

Hunting is mostly on foot but not overly challenging physically. They do even have some enclosed elevated stands but I thoroughly enjoyed the stalking!

I havent hunted with MG.. but we've hunted Argentina twice (with two different outfitters).. Argentina is a wonderful country with excellent bird and big game opportunities.. and MG has an excellent reputation with several AH members that have hunted with them.. I cant see how you could go wrong booking with them..

If you decide to go.. I STRONGLY recommend you plan an additional few days in Argentina beyond what you intend on hunting to see some of the rest of the country.. Patagonia is incredible.. Buenos Aires is a fun city with lots to see and do (and several of the best steak houses on the planet).. the town of Tigre is worth checking out.. etc..

We pretty much do an annual pilgrimage to South Africa.. and then try to go at least 1 additional place every year.. typically we dont repeat other locations (we really enjoy traveling and seeing the rest of the world and experiencing new places, new people, etc).. but as already said, Argentina was well worth a second hunt.. and we've already talked about going back again in a few more years for a third hunt (buffalo and blackbuck being the intended quarry).. We absolutely love it there..

@ActionBob pretty much covered what you will experience. These are great people. Over the last fifteen years or so, I have hunted high volume doves with them once in Cordoba, twice for ducks and Perdiz in Buenos Aires Province, and most recently stag in La Pampa. Below is that hunting report.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/argentina-argentine-red-stag-with-mg-hunting.68915/

One final thing. If you are going that far, be sure and spend a few days in Buenos Aires. It is a wonderful city.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
a friend and myself have booked a trip to Argentina with MG Hunting and we leave in 39 days for red stag, black buck and if opportunity presents its self some other animals possibly. does anyone have any recent feedback on them? I have been to Africa 2 times how does it compare to Africa? looking forward to going and hopefully hear some recent feedback from Argentina.
Hi Devin........I am Rocket from MG Hunting Argentina....guys above said it all allready soo I can only say that We gonna be hunting and having fun in 39 days or so......
We are waiting for you guys......We gonna do a great hunt.......

Regards

Last edited:
Here you can see all the MG hunting reports with people of AH Forum......

I have hunted with MG Hunting and had a nice time. Hunted Blackbuck and Axis deer.
Buenos Aires is a wonderful city and I also would encourage you to spend a day or two there.

Hello Everyone,
Hello Everyone,
I hunted twice with MG hunting. Marcelo took care of every detail and gets an A rating in my book. Have a great hunt!

Marcelo is awesome. Enjoy your hunt!

Thank you @Devin Callis for trusting us.......I think We have done a great hunt........two free range Red Stags in the full rut time, plus a great Blakbuck trophy and a giant Asian Water Buffalo at the end, say it all......I hope you enjoyed the hunt........it was great hunting with you.......

IMG-20230331-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20230331-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20230331-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20230402-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20230402-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20230402-WA0008.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg