Are we missing out on the true African experience by blind hunting only

Again i think it comes down to personal preference.
Lets talk bow hunting, if you are in Africa for 10 days and are wanting to shoot 5-7 specific animals you might have to spend all 10 days sitting in a hide, if you are not willing to go home without some of the trophies. If you come to Africa to hunt and take what the bush gives you it might be a good idea to try some spot and stalk or even walk and stalk with the bow. In our area it is very possible to come withing 30 yards of animals as the terrain allows for it. It might not be the animal you are here to hunt but you will get the opportunity to shoot something walk and stalk style in Africa with a bow. So it comes down to what are you expecting from the trip.

Rifle hunts, i like to have a quick lunch and skip the Siesta's and go sit a water hole over the heat of the day and just experience nature. You can lay in your air conditioned room back home but most people come to Africa once a year, why not spend as much time as possible in the bush experiencing what Africa have to offer. Who knows maybe a big old tusker comes around while sitting there :whistle:

So i would not say you are missing out on a experience as you are experiencing Africa in that matter. Sitting waterholes can be fun as you see things in animals and animal behavior you would not necessarily see while hunting spot or walk and stalk, but each method offers its own experience of Africa and hat is the beauty of Hunting in Africa.

Just come and enjoy what you planned to do

My personal best
Gerrit

look close to the first picture of the blind. blinds are great for pictures and hunting in the heat of mid day.

DSCN1969 (2).JPG
DSCN1954 (3).JPG
DSCN2070 (3).JPG
RSCN2066.JPG
DSCN1778.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a lot of blind hunting on my trips, but also spot and stalk while bowhunting and there is no doubt that blind hunting is more successful. But have taken several good trophies spot and stalk, one in particular that I feel was a great was when we spotted a large hartebeest about a mile away and when we got to about 200 yards the PH stayed there and let me pull the stalk off and it went like clockwork with a broadside 20 yard shot. The feeling of accomplishment is greater. One thing I'm sure of is if the outfitter allows rifle hunting from their bow hides the animals are a lot more skittish, I prefer that they have a brush blind or popup at least 75 yards away from the bow hide so the animals don't associate the shot with the hide.

In my 4 trips I've done both blind and spot & stalk with rifle. Blind is great for novice hunters, can see lots of different species. But sometimes blind hunting more like shooting than hunting. Really love spot and stalk, even if don't spot a shooter. Much bigger sense of excitement with stalking, but loved getting my leopard from a blind!

Blind is great for novice hunters,

I have a different perspective. I think blind hunting is great for ANY hunter who prefers to increase their odds at shot opportunity. Spot & stalking with a bow increases the challenge level, while decreasing the opportunity level exponentially. Spending days unsuccessfully stalking on a typical 7-day plainsgame safari may not be desirable or practical for many first-time safari bow hunters who have more than likely saved for years to plan a trip of a lifetime who will most likely never get the chance to return to Africa. Physical limitations may also make stalking with a bow difficult or impractical for many bow hunters.

Furthermore, hunting from a hide may appear to be easy and seem more like shooting than hunting until you consider the amount of time and patience that must be invested into getting a shot at the target species. Not to mention the challenge of remaining calm, quiet, and focused trying to draw on a specific animal often with dozens of eyes sand ears that need to be fooled. Coming to full draw and letting down a half a dozen times because the target will not clear other animals or offer the perfect broadside shot will test the nerves of the most experienced hunter. Add that to the countless frustrating occasions of when I have spent waiting hours for the target species to come into range only to hang up for no apparent reason and then depart offering no shot. Hide hunting is certainly more opportunistic yet, it presents it's own set of unique challenges.

But sometimes blind hunting more like shooting than hunting. Really love spot and stalk, even if don't spot a shooter. Much bigger sense of excitement with stalking, but loved getting my leopard from a blind!

So, was the leopard that you took hunting from a hide any less of a challenging or exhilarating experience because they cannot practically be hunted spot & stalk?

I have a different perspective. I think blind hunting is great for ANY hunter who prefers to increase their odds at shot opportunity. Spot & stalking with a bow increases the challenge level, while decreasing the opportunity level exponentially. Spending days unsuccessfully stalking on a typical 7-day plainsgame safari may not be desirable or practical for many first-time safari bow hunters who have more than likely saved for years to plan a trip of a lifetime who will most likely never get the chance to return to Africa. Physical limitations may also make stalking with a bow difficult or impractical for many bow hunters.

Agreed @BSO Dave... Africa is one of those unique destinations that is a bow hunter's paradise regardless of the individual hunter's goals or level of experience. The most experienced and knowledgeable bowhunting outfitters will be able to accommodate the wide spectrum of trophy goals and desires of their individual guests utilizing a multitude of techniques & set-ups.

From my own personal experiences bow hunting Africa for all these years I know this for certain... Whether it has been from a dugout hide, elevated tree stand, improvised brush blind, or spot & stalking, I have never had a bad day bow hunting in Africa!

Furthermore, hunting from a hide may appear to be easy and seem more like shooting than hunting until you consider the amount of time and patience that must be invested into getting a shot at the target species. Not to mention the challenge of remaining calm, quiet, and focused trying to draw on a specific animal often with dozens of eyes sand ears that need to be fooled. Coming to full draw and letting down a half a dozen times because the target will not clear other animals or offer the perfect broadside shot will test the nerves of the most experienced hunter. Add that to the countless frustrating occasions of when I have spent waiting hours for the target species to come into range only to hang up for no apparent reason and then depart offering no shot. Hide hunting is certainly more opportunistic yet, it presents it's own set of unique challenges.

So, was the leopard that you took hunting from a hide any less of a challenging or exhilarating experience because they cannot practically be hunted spot & stalk?

My post stated rifle hunting. As well that i enjoyed taking leopard from a blind. But if you don't want to spot and stalk or don't agree with what I prefer thats okay, as I respect your right to the first amendment.

My post stated rifle hunting. As well that i enjoyed taking leopard from a blind. But if you don't want to spot and stalk or don't agree with what I prefer thats okay, as I respect your right to the first amendment.

While I certainly appreciate you respecting my 1st Amendment rights, I didn't say that I prefer not to spot & stalk, and I didn't say I disagreed with your opinion. I stated that I had a different perspective.

My post stated rifle hunting

By the way, this thread is in the Bowhunting Africa forum, and the OP was inquiring as to the differences of the experiences bow hunting from hides as opposed to spot & stalk. Hide or still hunting with a rifle is apples and oranges to hunting from the hides as a bow hunter. ;)

I think it all depends upon the circumstances, the game you are after, and physical capability. If ALL your hunting is from a blind/hide, you may miss out on some unique experiences.

Both experiences are unique, in a hide you get to watch animals closely undisturbed and their interactions with each other and different species. Stalking you test your skills and get to see a lot more country unless you just drive around and shoot out of the back of the pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross