Apple Air Tags inside gun cases?

Sourdough

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 24, 2022
Messages
875
Reaction score
5,676
Media
36
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WRSA, WSF, TUSK
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, France, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
You guys who are using Apple Air Tags, do they work if placed inside the gun cases? So far I've only used them on the outside of luggage.
 
You guys who are using Apple Air Tags, do they work if placed inside the gun cases? So far I've only used them on the outside of luggage.
Mine did this past year on trip to Zimbabwe. It was cool to see where it was when I was in Doha!
 
You can see if your rifle case & luggage makes the plane and when you land you can check to be sure it arrived.
 
Just used one for the first time Joburg to Bulawayo. Worked perfect. Will always use one now. Bought four.
 
Several of my hunters have used them last year and were happy with the peace of mind. I think this year will be my year to try them. If you stay on one airline the baggage tracking of say Delta is great But the extra reassurance would be nice.
 
I used them inside my luggage on recent trips to Israel and Europe. What an outstanding product!
 
I don’t know, but they may not work if inside of an aluminum case (signal attenuation). They definitely work in pelican type cases. Saw several folks using them on my trip last August.

Note: I did see someone get busted for some off brand version attached to the side of the bag in RSA. ( I think because it used a battery??). The gate attendant made the poor guy take it off his bag right at the check in counter.
 
I've been using them for about six-months now, one attached to my truck, one to a trailer, one to each gun case and piece of luggage so am very well aware of how they work. Just haven't tried them inside a gun case. Glad to know they work there as well.
 
Several of my hunters have used them last year and were happy with the peace of mind. I think this year will be my year to try them. If you stay on one airline the baggage tracking of say Delta is great But the extra reassurance would be nice.
I have not used Air Tags yet, but plan to get some for this years hunt in Zambia. When I flew to Alaska this past September, I was on American Airlines and checked their app to see that my bag and rifle were loaded onto each flight. According to the app, they were. However, my bag didn't arrive in Fairbanks. Several bags were taken off the plane in Seattle, due to a weight and balance issue. I guess the airline didn't scan the bags removed or update the app. There were 15-20 people standing in line in Fairbanks (the very slow customer service line) trying to figure out where their bags were.
 
You guys who are using Apple Air Tags, do they work if placed inside the gun cases? So far I've only used them on the outside of luggage.
It’s a cheap piece of technology that will give you piece of mind, I’ve used them in my luggage as well and I think they are great!
 
I have not used Air Tags yet, but plan to get some for this years hunt in Zambia. When I flew to Alaska this past September, I was on American Airlines and checked their app to see that my bag and rifle were loaded onto each flight. According to the app, they were. However, my bag didn't arrive in Fairbanks. Several bags were taken off the plane in Seattle, due to a weight and balance issue. I guess the airline didn't scan the bags removed or update the app. There were 15-20 people standing in line in Fairbanks (the very slow customer service line) trying to figure out where their bags were.
So you are saying the airlines don't always tell the truth?
 
IMO, no hunter should fly without Air Tags in every bag, or case. I learned the hard way on a recent bear hunt in Canada.

Flying back from High Level, Alberta with the plane over weight, several of us hunters had to choose one bag to leave for a next day flight to Edmonton. I had 3. My bow, clothes/gear, and 2 caped bear. This was an easy choice. I needed to get the hides into another freezer to prevent slippage until the next flight and my bow stays with me so I left the gear. The overnight was in Edmonton and flight back through to Chicago the next day so I figured I'd have plenty time get my 3rd bag for the flight home. The bag never arrived and I couldn't wait for it. The airline agent told me that they would ground ship the bag to me in the states. I spent the next several weeks in communication before they told be it was a lost bag and they were sorry. They could offer me $200 CAN for compensation. Between clothes and gear, I had several thousands of dollars lost. (My personal opinion was the small airline realized a $200 claim is cheaper than a $500+ UPS ground to US.)

Having an Air Tag in that bag would have been incredible. Now, I never travel without, in each and every bag.
 
Do you need signal (Wi-Fi, or cell) for the tags to work?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,456
Messages
1,576,714
Members
170,621
Latest member
Tahlia4073
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top