aperature sight for a Mauser 98

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Quaticman, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Quaticman

Quaticman AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    What options do I have to replace the original rear sight on a Husqvarna M98 with a peep sight. Is there anything that will fit in the existing dovetail?

2. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Personally I want the longest sighting plane I can get for my aperture sights so would look at a blank in the rear sight dovetail and look at a bridge or bolt mounted sight. Gives you a 200 yd kill capability

ZG47 likes this.

3. Hammergun

Hammergun AH Member

I bought a Lyman 57 SME on ebay. Haven't put it on a rifle yet. It's an all steel, old school sight that mounts on the right side of the receiver.

4. Clodo Ferreira

Clodo Ferreira AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi,

Redfield used to offer a really neat peep sight attached at the rear of their bases, both one or two pieces bases.
    To me this is one of the best solutions because it can be used not only in Redfield bases but in any other. I have mine (I bought in Ebay an old Redfield base for a rifle I haven't only for the peep sight that came with it) and put in the rear face of a Warne base. Perfect. Is incredible such a small piece, with windage and height adjustments, rather elemental but it works! And is unobtrusive even with a scope in.

5. tunatoy76

tunatoy76 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I got a swedish version of the Lyman 57 from eBay, guy had a bunch off m98 target rifles, cheap , steel and mount on the "right" side

ZG47 likes this.