Anyone use the .270 Winchester?

@Dr Ray
As much as you like the 270 I think you should give a fast 25 ago. You may end up leaving the 270 at home. A fast 25 with a good 115gn or 120gn leaves nothing to be desired on deer, even reds. A nice 100gn ttsx at 3,400 fps proved adequate for @one day for his plains game hunt.
I will convert you to a 25 cal one day.
Bob

Just bought a 25/06. Putting a Kahles scope on it and will be using 115 grain bullets.
Bought the rifle off my friend Baz.
It’s a Ruger M77 mark 2.
Baz could shoot 5 bullets into a matchbox size target at measured 330 m with this rifle.
Mind you he’s a great shot!
Baz is on dialysis and he has sold off his 505 Gibbs (which he had extensive work done on the CZ 550) and his 257 Weatherby which also had extensive tweaking.

Sorry doc, you lost me on this one. 270WIN to 308 is still not apples to apples. You are welcome to your opinion, I'll hang onto mine.

I like both the 308 and 270 but I use the 308 for target shooting and the 270 for hunting
The bullets loaded on the 308 are target ones are too hard for hunting

Last edited:
@Dr Ray and @BeeMaa got me wondering so I did some math, figuring the energy at 200 yards. (No one hunts off the muzzle) Speer hot core was for figuring the ballistic coefficient of all bullets. Muzzle velocities were top-ish loads out of the Speer manual. I tried to not use a MV that could only be achieved with one powder, and fell somewhat into line with factory speeds.
Here are the results.
image.jpg

I’m getting info on the .270 Winchester.

What has your experience been with it, for those who have used it?

What range of game have you gotten with yours, including African game, too?

What’s the largest animal anyone has taken with theirs, and how quickly did it dispatch the animal?

What’s the longest anyone has taken a big game animal with theirs?

If there is something I may have missed, please let me know about it and the .270 Winchester.

Hawk

No one has ever used it to the best of my knowledge.

shot my 1st big animal moose with 270 wby 160 gr part worked great sold it to a friend havent had one since but always thaught I would get one of those new weatherby light weight ones in 270 wby mag.

Did anyone ever actually answer the questions Hawkeyesatx asked?
In an effort to belatedly help him, I’ll share my thoughts…

It’s a great cartridge that has stood the test of time because it’s a great round.

Lots of stuff ranging from deer, pronghorns, sheep, Mtn Goat, sheep to elk. African game including greater kudu, sable, topi, zebras as well as small animals.

What’s the largest animal anyone has taken with theirs, and how quickly did it dispatch the animal?
Alaskan Bull Moose, it went about 20 yards. In Africa, a couple zebras, one was DRT, the other went maybe 40 yards.

You don’t want to know. Way farther than I should have been shooting at anything, let alone a big elk.

If there is something I may have missed, please let me know about it and the .270 Winchester.
It’s a fantastic cartridge for small to medium game and plenty ‘good enough’ for larger non-dangerous game with some of the great bullets available these days.

Hawk
I’ve taken whitetail, mulies, pronghorn and various exotics with a Winchester 70 270 130gn out to 600 yards. It’s an excellent round for medium sized game in my opinion. It’s flat shooting and easy recoil. I’m a 30-06 man but the 270 will get it done.

Had doe mule deer tags with a nephew recently. I sold him a .270 mossberg patriot that I had put together for my daughter. Too big size wise for her but he really likes it. He had only one day away from law school and we made it happen. His shot was 430 yards off Robertson brand sticks with a boring flat based 130 gr grand slam Speer bullet. It does have a custom turret leupold scope. He hit his right behind the shoulder mid body. It passed through and she ran 30-40 yards and was done. It was really lovely performance. He shot another at 200 ish yards but pass through at the spine so she dropped right there as spine shots will cause-but doesn’t tell what the bullet really did. I was pleased with him and the .270 and it worked great.
My doe was 200 ish yards with a nothing special synthetic/stainless rem 700 .30-06 and 165 accubond-shot her straight on and bullet performance was excellent, she also ran 30-40 yards and done, with a hole through bottom of her heart.
Both rifles and loads were great, the does surely couldn’t tell the difference!

Hawk
When I lived in Texas for 9 years I had a killer Weatherby in 270 magnum that was outstanding on long sendero shots at 300+ yards. It was heavy and I used out of a box blind where I could rest it on the window seal. Killed a lot of nice deer. Hated it in a tree stand both for its weight and length. Can easily see the caliber on PG in Africa

One of my favorite rounds. I haven’t shot anything large, like kudu or elk, with it. I’ve taken several mule deer, antelope and white tails with it. A friend borrowed mine to down a black bear.
IMO, if I don’t think a .270 (or .280 or .30/06) is enough gun, I usually grab a .338 mag or larger.

The .270 Winchester is a fantastic cartridge, both in North America and in Africa. I’ve shot a pile of game with a270, including elk, caribou, Alaska-Yukon moose, kudu, sable, zebras, as well as a bunch of less physically formidable game. With 150 grain bullets it’s a fantastic round for large game.

Killed an Eland at 100 yds facing me with 150 grain hand load from a pre -64 model 70. A second shot on run hit its stomach. Bull ran 200 yds and was lying down when I put one through chest at point blank to end its misery. The bullet was a South African brand equivalent to Barnes TSX . Guide said just as good! My wife shot a Zebra quartering away at a severe angle. 290 meters. Bullet went in behind last rib and penetrated heart such that the base of bullet was visible upon gutting animal. I agree with guide that whatever brand of bullet he loaded it exhibited superior performance on two of Africa’s toughest plains game. Killed kudu and others as well. Conclusion no substitute for shot placement irregardless of caliber!!!

I started big game hunting with a 270 Winchester in a Ruger M77 Mark 1, a long time agotaking numerous white tail and mule deer at ranges of 50 to 400 yards. It never failed with 130 grain handloads. Also took a bull moose with it at 100 yards, one shot, and a great bull elk at 300+ yards, but that took five hits, three into the chest cavity, one in the neck and a final shot into the hip to tip him over. He was only a quarter mile from Banff National Park and heading back that way and I didn't want that to happen. If it wasn't for a broken brow tine ( the other one was 14") he would have scored 400 Boone and Crockette. I was using 150 grain handloads on the moose and elk and after the elk episode I began rethinking the 270 for longer shots on elk. Now it's my oldest grandsons rifle.

I've only needed a finishing shot with the elk down twice killed over 2 dozen elk and more deer, plus 9 black bears with a 270 Win shooting 150g Partitions.

Whitetail, pronghorn, mule deer, elk…. I’ve taken all with my 270…. Haven’t used in a while. However, it’s responsible for much on my wall.

I have one that I've taken a whitetail buck and pronghorn with. (both were pretty close < 90 yards).

My friend used it to kill a pronghorn buck with after it got up and started to walk off into the sunset after it got up from what should have been a lethal shot with a .243.

(All took only 1 shot with the .270)

There is nothing wrong with a .270 Win, but I usually take something a little larger when I might encounter something bigger than a deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg