Anyone have data for loading light 200 gr. bullets in 9.3x62?

Longwalker

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I just purchased a couple hundred Hawk ( a small USA maker) bullets for my 9.3x62. They are very light for caliber, and my intention is to use them for practise or shooting smallish local game like whitetail deer. I cannot find any load data for any bullet lighter than 232gr. , and Hawk did not supply data.
I was considering extrapolating data from the .35 Whelen/200 grain. I've used IMR 3031 and Varget to propel 200 grain bullets to 2600 fps with no problem in my Whelen. I believe the larger bore size of the 9.3 with larger case capacity should make those powder charges safe to try as a start - Your suggestions/experience?

I don't have a 9.3 x 62 but I do have a number of 35 Whelens. I reload for them using 250 Gr NPs and 225 Gr. Barnes or Accubonds. The only 200 Gr. bullets I used were Hornady Superformance. They worked well on Whitetails, Hogs and Sheep. Without a doubt the 200 Gr. Superformance load is a real attention getter. I would have no trouble using 35 Whelen loads for similar 200 Gr. bullets and go from there. Given the larger case size a grain or two higher wouldn't hurt anything either.

I worked up a load using IMR 3031 powder yesterday, 55 grains gave me a very good group, and apparently mild pressure, and low recoil, but my disappointment was that the stubby little bullets wouldn't feed reliably from my rifles magazine. So that project is finished.

I worked up a load using IMR 3031 powder yesterday, 55 grains gave me a very good group, and apparently mild pressure, and low recoil, but my disappointment was that the stubby little bullets wouldn't feed reliably from my rifles magazine. So that project is finished.
Did you seat them to the cannelure, or to the bottom of the case neck?

I don't have a 9.3 x 62 but I do have a number of 35 Whelens. I reload for them using 250 Gr NPs and 225 Gr. Barnes or Accubonds. The only 200 Gr. bullets I used were Hornady Superformance. They worked well on Whitetails, Hogs and Sheep. Without a doubt the 200 Gr. Superformance load is a real attention getter. I would have no trouble using 35 Whelen loads for similar 200 Gr. bullets and go from there. Given the larger case size a grain or two higher wouldn't hurt anything either.
@Shootist43
Art I have loaded the 200grain FTX and spire point in my Whelen to equal the superformance using CFE223 so I'm sure if long walker started using Whelen data and working up to a SAFE load he should be right. The 9.3x62 has a case capacity similar to the 35AI so he may need to add more coal to the fire to achieve good velocity.
Bob

Since this post was originally written, I have settled on the Lapua Naturalis 220 grain as a light bullet in my 9.3x62. Loaded with a Lapua book max. charge of VV N140, it adds the choice of a bit of range and flat trajectory to my normal 285 gr. / 2400 fps load. A happy coincidence, at a muzzle velocity of 2650 fps it shoots good groups just a couple cm / 1" higher at 100 M than the heavier bullet with its normal sight setting. Perfect for my purposes. Those hawk 200 gr. RN bullets are going to be sold to someone who can use them. Of course Lapua quit making their Naturalis 220 grain, but I know where there are some still for sale and plan to stock up.

@Longwalker

The Naturalis has a good reputation. I would be tempted to look at Fox bullets as I said. 220gr bullet that doesn't need to be driven at crazy speeds for good expansion by all accounts.

I'm planning on trying the 100 gr Fox in my .257 Roberts and I have some 55gr to try in my .223 Rem

Scrummy

Thanks for the recommendation Scrumbag. I wrote a note to Fox bullets, since they do not market their bullets in Canada. I'll see what's possible.

Thanks for the recommendation Scrumbag. I wrote a note to Fox bullets, since they do not market their bullets in Canada. I'll see what's possible.
They are usually quite helpful I've found. Or if you are keen I might be able to send you some.

Scrummy

The 9.3 is not a varmint cartridge. I don't know of anyone using anything lighter than the 232 grain. I would be leery of inducing tumbling with lighter bullets at higher speeds. The 9.3 in not a caliber that needs high speed to perform well. In fact most hunters I know who use it pick it because it is a heavy hitter that kills things dead without kicking you into tomorrow. I wouldn't try to make it something it isn't. Just enjoy it for what it does very well. It has been working that way for 116 years pretty well.

The 9.3 is not a varmint cartridge. I don't know of anyone using anything lighter than the 232 grain. I would be leery of inducing tumbling with lighter bullets at higher speeds. The 9.3 in not a caliber that needs high speed to perform well. In fact most hunters I know who use it pick it because it is a heavy hitter that kills things dead without kicking you into tomorrow. I wouldn't try to make it something it isn't. Just enjoy it for what it does very well. It has been working that way for 116 years pretty well.
@MS 9x56
The 232 grainers would make a dandy varmit vaporizer.
The same goes with the Whelen with 200 to 225 grainers at 2950fps. Might not vaporizer the varmit Burt would be fun trying out to 300 yards. Good practice for Africa but agree does better for what it was designed. Bigger bullets at medium velocity.
Bob

I just purchased a couple hundred Hawk ( a small USA maker) bullets for my 9.3x62. They are very light for caliber, and my intention is to use them for practise or shooting smallish local game like whitetail deer. I cannot find any load data for any bullet lighter than 232gr. , and Hawk did not supply data.
I was considering extrapolating data from the .35 Whelen/200 grain. I've used IMR 3031 and Varget to propel 200 grain bullets to 2600 fps with no problem in my Whelen. I believe the larger bore size of the 9.3 with larger case capacity should make those powder charges safe to try as a start - Your suggestions/experience?
@Longwalker
The Whelen will propel 200 grainers at a comfortable 2,900 fps so the 9.3 shouldn't be to far behind.
Bob

if a 200 gn bullet won't shoot, it will not be because the twist is too fast.
in std rifles you can go too long with a bullet, but realistically hard to go too short.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois