Any thoughts on the new Blaser R8 Ultimate X?

It’s advertised for training, competition, driven hunts. It will do very well there. It also takes flush mount magazines. The ultimate stock is already out there for the regular R8. If you don’t like R8, you won’t like it at all. If you appreciate the R8, you’ll know what Blaser is doing. It’s not for AH. I will likely get one as my third R8 for TX pigs

Not my cup of tea but no doubt effective for its intended purpose.
The changes that make it longer don’t make it any longer than a conventional bolt action would be. As long as the trigger remains excellent, it should be a good option for people in the market for this type of rifle although I’m not seeing the advantage over a conventional stock for driven hunts. Seems to me a handier rifle would be more suitable for moving targets.

It’s not yet clear if an R8 conventional two piece stock won’t work or won’t be offered. It’s the same ultimate stock to the PN. The receiver is believed to be the same as well. It appears what was done is to add an intermediate component with the trigger is all

If I had budget for an R8 it would be something that looks like an R8.
Something with a bit more style than this.
A garden variety R8 looks much better.
Other than functionality we buy guns because we like them.
This one has no appeal for me.
That money might be better spent on doing the driven Boar hunt with an existing rifle.

I'd like to try it first with a flat shooting varmint type of round THEN say how good or bad it is.

I’ve wondered about a blaser w a dbm and rail mounted thermal as an alternative to an AR for night time hog control work. Not a fan of this style of rifle but it might serve the purpose.

It’s not that it’s a bad gun, it’ll be about the same length as any other rifle, have high capacity and assuming it’s built to the usual Blaser standard it’ll be pretty good, but there’s something so “subtle” about these lines, very utilitarian, a bit like a Panzerfaust…

Well, they do make 500 Jeffery barrels and this rifle accepts standard Blaser barrels - got a big elephant hunt planned?

Well, they do make 500 Jeffery barrels and this rifle accepts standard Blaser barrels - got a big elephant hunt planned?
Lol no but I was just trying to envision how heavy and large a ten shot mag for it would be. Have to have magazine bearer .

This is precisely my intended use. With a Thermion pulsar.

I will be very interested in how it performs for you. I use an AR in 6.5 Grendel.

I must agree in the video the rifle does look better wonder why they took off the Bipod when they finally went on the physical hunt.

So my verdict it will only take 6 beers :D Cheers: for me to think about using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg