Any thoughts on the new Blaser R8 Ultimate X?

I’m definitely an R8 fan. But I don’t see myself buying this model of R8.
The thumbhole stock works wonderfully on my R8 ultimate. This X model looks similar in ergonomics, but appear to require an extension of some sort to move the scope back.
based on my experience with Blaser, I’m sure it is very well made. I just don’t have a need for a 10 shot magazine. I also don’t own an AR.
The video above was well made, but the guy didn’t need a 10 shot magazine. For an extra few hundred you can just get another trigger group on a regular R8 and get extra ammo ready to go.

I do want to try their new bipod, though.

I shoot some precision rifle competitions, and currently use a Sako TRG, I'm very curious about this rifle, anybody have any information or further reviews? Curious about pricing and release date in the US.

2022-05-06 21.57.08.png

I pretty much hate all of this tactical nonsense. Probably comes with a vintage copy of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. I am sure it will appeal to some of the wannabe crowd with deep pockets.
Exactly!

Hi all,

received the following announcement in my mail from Blaser. An funky looking R8 with a 10 shot capacity...
View attachment 427458

they put some kind of intermediate piece between the action and the pistol grip, to allow for the longer magazine.

Seems to me it removes a lot of the advantages the R8 was known for: being short, well balanced, unlooseable magazine. I also wonder what it does to the triggerpull...
@Vertigo
Hers a picture of my 10 shot pre R8 Blaser
Works every time even in the harshest conditions. They have just reinvented a 10 shot rifle. You wouldn't need to add weight for recoil help with 10 458 Lotts in the mag. Ha ha ha
Bob
20210401_110242.jpg

It ain't pretty or a Blaser but it is 10 shots and works well

Hi all,

received the following announcement in my mail from Blaser. An funky looking R8 with a 10 shot capacity...
View attachment 427458

they put some kind of intermediate piece between the action and the pistol grip, to allow for the longer magazine.

Seems to me it removes a lot of the advantages the R8 was known for: being short, well balanced, unlooseable magazine. I also wonder what it does to the triggerpull...
@Vertigo
Hers a picture of my 10 shot pre R8 Blaser
Works every time even in the harshest conditions. They have just reinvented a 10 shot rifle. You wouldn't need to add weight for recoil help with 10 458 Lotts in the mag. Ha ha ha
Bob View attachment 465225
It ain't pretty or a Blaser but it is 10 shots and works well
I am a tactical kind of guy, I really like my AIs (Accuracy International).

This R8 does not appeal to me at all. It reminds me of a Savage.

I have really looked hard at an R8, it would not be this one.
@Inline6 The Savage at least exhibits a bit of class and taste and doesn't pretend to be something
it isn't unlike that thing
Bob

I’m an R8 guy with 2 to my name and one more for Mrs BeeMaa. This new tactical version goes against some of the very reasons I have R8’s. Specifically the magazine sitting on top of the trigger to make everything shorter. Not a fan of this at all.
@BeeMaa
I don't believe it mate next you will be saying your going back to a normal bolt action.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

It's one of those even if you drink 12 beers it will still look ugly :D Cheers: :E Happy:

Yes, it's never going to be remembered for being pretty or having classic styling.

I wonder if sales are meeting expectations?

Hi VertigoBE, obviously for everyone else who have added some comments on the above, here is Chris Parkin's take on this,

I appreciate this rifle has some strong views aimed at it, I think Tra3 had a good point from a hunting perspective you would just buy another normal trigger group?

Oh yes it's expensive, but I suppose there is a market for this style???

Enjoy the video.

Hi VertigoBE, obviously for everyone else who have added some comments on the above, here is Chris Parkin's take on this,

I appreciate this rifle has some strong views aimed at it, I think Tra3 had a good point from a hunting perspective you would just buy another normal trigger group?

Oh yes it's expensive, but I suppose there is a market for this style???

Enjoy the video.
Hadn't picked it up the first time around, but the ten-round magazine eliminates one of the great advantages of the design which is the compactness created by having the trigger group directly under the magazine. This magazine capacity "improvement" also necessitates the goofy rail extension to accommodate a scope. But heck why not. If a prospective buyer is going to hang a suppressor and bipod on the thing, he is long past caring about any utility the rifle might have. Then again, maybe in some minds, it is just the ticket for laying out zombies at 500 meters in their idea of a post apocalyptic nirvana. :unsure:

I’m sure it is a fantastic shooting rifle. Watching the video makes it pretty clear to me that it is really designed for the long range competitions and not hunting.

I don’t like how far the safety is located in comparison to the regular R8. The added space in the stock appears to also equally increase the distance the safety is from the hand when gripping the stock.

... but I suppose there is a market for this style???
Absolutely there is :)

Per previous post, different market segment...
--- on one side of the ledger: law enforcement, military...
--- on the other side of the ledger: internet snipers, 1,200 yards kudu "hunters"...

Likely successor to the R93 tactical...
1632867385194.png

1655092032962.png

On a personal basis, it is my belief, based on experience (I tried!) that confusing hunting and sniping results in just that, taking the hunting out of the hunt, and reducing it to long range shooting. As exciting as long range shooting is (I earned my regimental sniper qualification many decades ago, and I still shoot steel out to 1,000 meters), it pales in comparison to the thrill of the stalk. Tacticool does not work for me in the hunting field...

On a professional basis , if I may say, owing to my connection with Huntershill, I will only emphasize one more time that for every one-shot-600-yard-kill that makes it to Youtube, there are many, many, let me repeat: many, misses - that I do not mind so much - and just as many gut / leg / jaw shots that leave wounded animals all over the landscape, or, ultimate irony!, some animals killed by under-powered paper punchers (e.g. 6.5 Creedmoor) that showed no reaction whatsoever to the long-range shot and die a few hundred yards away unknown to anyone until someone stumbles on them on a subsequent hunt. This does not work for me either...

But this is a free country, so to each our own, but count my two R8 (aluminum insert Pro and steel insert Pro PH), and my wife's R8 (aluminum insert Pro), perfectly adequate for hunting purposes with their 3 shot magazines...

Last edited:
Hadn't picked it up the first time around, but the ten-round magazine eliminates one of the great advantages of the design which is the compactness created by having the trigger group directly under the magazine. This magazine capacity "improvement" also necessitates the goofy rail extension to accommodate a scope. But heck why not. If a prospective buyer is going to hang a suppressor and bipod on the thing, he is long past caring about any utility the rifle might have. Then again, maybe in some minds, it is just the ticket for laying out zombies at 500 meters in their idea of a post apocalyptic nirvana. :unsure:
In all fairness, have shot a lot of PRS style comps. Most stages you have to send 10 rnds down range in 90 seconds or less. Could be at a mover could be 10 different targets at 10 different distances. Distance range from 200 to 1200 yards most comps. Closest shot in comp I have taken was 5 yards out off of a 70' tower longest was 1600 yards. For that game this rifle would have some advantages. The disadvantage for me, when I was running a 6CM I would burn 3 barrels a year. On my AI that would cost me 2400 to replace all 3. This one well, I really like my R8, I would not be happy replacing 3 of these barrels.

In all fairness, have shot a lot of PRS style comps. Most stages you have to send 10 rnds down range in 90 seconds or less. Could be at a mover could be 10 different targets at 10 different distances. Distance range from 200 to 1200 yards most comps. Closest shot in comp I have taken was 5 yards out off of a 70' tower longest was 1600 yards. For that game this rifle would have some advantages. The disadvantage for me, when I was running a 6CM I would burn 3 barrels a year. On my AI that would cost me 2400 to replace all 3. This one well, I really like my R8, I would not be happy replacing 3 of these barrels.
Exactly! Money aside, this is a great application for this type of rifle

The R8 is not what most would consider a good looking rifle by traditional standards. Adding the spacer to allow the magazine to be in front of the trigger turns it into a Franken-Rifle IMO. I said this back on page 1 of this thread...
I’m an R8 guy with 2 to my name and one more for Mrs BeeMaa. This new tactical version goes against some of the very reasons I have R8’s. Specifically the magazine sitting on top of the trigger to make everything shorter. Not a fan of this at all.
It was made for the PRS, Benchrest and all the others disciplines I'm forgetting that are not hunting. I get it...I'm just not a fan. It took Blaser a while but they finally made a firearm I wouldn't buy.

I had a chance to look at one and pick it up at the recent Jagd and Hund 2022 show. For me just to long and unwieldy to comfortably carry, but that is my perspective for woodland hunting or a trip to Africa, not attending a PRS event. My R8 has a short barrel and lightweight moderator in a synthetic stock, designed for its main task of being easy to handle and cycle for someone like myself. I don't have the upper body strength to carry a heavy barreled target rifle around, but somebody else does.
I'm lucky to have a 375 H&H barrel for my rifle, though it is longer and heavier it is still balanced enough for me to be comfortable to shoot, fitting in with the original design purpose.
Horses for courses I suppose but I won't be buying the above as I think a extra trigger until would be good enough ie driven boar shooting.

I had a chance to look at one and pick it up at the recent Jagd and Hund 2022 show. For me just to long and unwieldy to comfortably carry, but that is my perspective for woodland hunting or a trip to Africa, not attending a PRS event. My R8 has a short barrel and lightweight moderator in a synthetic stock, designed for its main task of being easy to handle and cycle for someone like myself. I don't have the upper body strength to carry a heavy barreled target rifle around, but somebody else does.
I'm lucky to have a 375 H&H barrel for my rifle, though it is longer and heavier it is still balanced enough for me to be comfortable to shoot, fitting in with the original design purpose.
Horses for courses I suppose but I won't be buying the above as I think a extra trigger until would be good enough ie driven boar shooting.
I too don’t have the upper body strength to carry a big PRS rifle around all day! I think around 9 lbs is ideal, lighter and the gun doesn’t balance as well and wobbles too much.

I get to shoot my R8 out to 525 yards at a range north of town. It is an enjoyable pastime and it makes realistic e hunting shots much easier. I also shoot my bow out to 100 yards, when I know all my shots will be less than 30, the practice helps and makes it fun.
It sounds like you have an ideal setup for a lifetime of hunting. After I got an R8, I bought one for each of my kids. I wouldn’t buy this new Blaser, I bet it is equally as accurate as the Inés my family already has.
BTW, I blame @BeeMaa for telling me that it was only fair that my kids got an R8 too. He was right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.