Any minimum calibers for the largest of plains game?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just curious if any Countries or outfits mandate a minimum caliber for any of the plains game species, especially the larger ones ie Kudu, Eland, Zebra, Giraffe etc?

Ive read that most reccomend "your deer rifle cartridge" from back home (7mm, 308 etc) but wasn't sure if any areas or any specific game had minimum requirements?

I'm considering bringing both my 338WM and my 416 Rigby as my two gun battery for my first trip so I'll be covered either way.

200gr bullets for the smallest of PG, 225-250gr for the larger stuff.

Cheers,

Last edited:
No minimums that I am aware off. I use ‘whatever’ since I am typically borrowing guns at this point, but most commonly I am shooting a 375H&H for all variety of PH.

If, stress if, I am doing something very specific, such as Vaal Rhebuck on the open slopes of the mountains, I’ll take a ‘for purpose’ gun/scope/bullet combination, but it’s pretty rare (Vaal and Klippys come to
mind).

Otherwise, it’s the old adage to take the gun(s) you shoot the best. It’s really true. Get lots and lots of practice, off sticks - always off sticks - with whatever gun you want to make safari memories with, and you will be good to go.

Oh, except giraff. Unless you plan to shoot one in the head (in which case they just fall down), giraffe can soak up bullets, so use a big gun.

A deer rifle is fine on a kudu or zebra with the right bullets. It’s fine on an eland too, but a 338 or 375 would be preferred. You might have to pass some shot opportunities with a smaller rifle. On a giraffe the rifle you brought will likely determine the shot you take. Less than 338/375 you will likely be taking a head/neck shot. Why would you take different weight bullets in 338?

Just curious, Why would you take two bullet weights for your 338? Just adding unnecessary confusion IMO. Plus, if they don’t have the same POI, the scope would need to be re-zeroed or swapped out for the different loads. Just use a good 225gr for everything.

+1. Just shoot everything with a 225 gr Swift A Frame

No minimums that I am aware off. I use ‘whatever’ since I am typically borrowing guns at this point, but most commonly I am shooting a 375H&H for all variety of PH.

If, stress if, I am doing something very specific, such as Vaal Rhebuck on the open slopes of the mountains, I’ll take a ‘for purpose’ gun/scope/bullet combination, but it’s pretty rare (Vaal and Klippys come to
mind).

Otherwise, it’s the old adage to take the gun(s) you shoot the best. It’s really true. Get lots and lots of practice, off sticks - always off sticks - with whatever gun you want to make safari memories with, and you will be good to go.

Oh, except giraff. Unless you plan to shoot one in the head (in which case they just fall down), giraffe can soak up bullets, so use a big gun.
"....but most commonly I am shooting a 375H&H for all variety of PH."

I hope the auto correct got you and you meant PG and you don't mean PH. Not if you expect any future outfitter to have you as a client.

:E Rofl:

Yes indeed there are minimums. Namibian example.

https://napha-namibia.com/qa/

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 18.27.28.png

Some countries have minimum energy requirements for all game, usually divided into groups based on size and dangerous/non dangerous.

338 WM will be legal for all plains game everywhere, I’d think. I agree, one load per rifle. 225 gr premium bullets should handle everything you’re hunting. This goes double if you’re bringing your 416.

What Brickburn srared.
Plus RSA and Zimbabwe have regulations on minimum handgun calibers and barrel lengths for hunting.

Just curious, Why would you take two bullet weights for your 338? Just adding unnecessary confusion IMO. Plus, if they don’t have the same POI, the scope would need to be re-zeroed or swapped out for the different loads. Just use a good 225gr for everything.
Custom CDS dials for both loads in the Leupold scope.

But you're right best to just go with a 225gr.

You did not say if you were hunting any DG? .338 Win Mag is a great selection for any PG. I loaded ammo for a buddy in .338 a couple of years ago who went PG hunting in South Africa, he shot quite a few large PG animals and claimed that his .338 performed amazingly and gave serious knock down power. As commented a good brand of bonded bullet would complement the .338 well.

I’d only take a .416 if I was planning on DG hunting but I guess you can never have too much gun.

I’ve shot .338 WM for red stag hunting in Scotland for over 20 years, I shoot lighter, softer bullets, 200gn Nosler ballistic tips, it’s one of my favorite rifles and really allows you to reach out far with amazing knock down power. I was torn about taking my .338 WM barrel or .300 WM barrel as my second caliber for my upcoming DG and PG hunt, the .300 WM won as my hunting partner is also taking .300 WM and we can share ammo.

Custom CDS dials for both loads in the Leupold scope.

But you're right best to just go with a 225gr.
Imagine hunting an Impala with your 200 grain load, then up pops the Eland of a lifetime. Oops…. Hold on big fella…. Let me switch to my 225 gr loads and dial in my scope. lol! Keep it simple!

Your .338 will be fine for any PG.

The .416 would be fine also, but really only needed if DG were encountered.

I like to take 2 rifles, just to have a backup, if necessary.

If you have a .300 magnum, .30/06, .270, etc. you might be better off to take it instead of the .416, if you can shoot it more accurately.

Your .338 will be fine for any PG.

The .416 would be fine also, but really only needed if DG were encountered.

I like to take 2 rifles, just to have a backup, if necessary.

If you have a .300 magnum, .30/06, .270, etc. you might be better off to take it instead of the .416, if you can shoot it more accurately.
416 would be for DG.

If DG doesn't happen on the first trip then I'd just be taking the 338.

My FIL would be bringing a 300 WM so we'd have one of each.

338 WM and 416 is great 2 gun battery if you are hunting both plaines game and dangerous game. I agree with advice given about bringing just one load for your 338. No need to complicate things. Any 225 gr or 250 gr Barnes, Swift A Frame, Nosler Accubond or other bonded or monometal bullet will easily handle the largest plains game in Africa. I have used 250 gr Swift A Frames in my 338 WM for plaines game in Africa and water buffalo in Australia with great results.

Several countries break down PG into categories. I believe Zimbabwe breaks down the Minimum Calibers on PG in addition to DG. Don’t quote me on the specifics but I think what I remember Dr Kevin Robertson saying was something like

Hippo/Buff/Elephant = 375+

Giraffe/Lion/Eland = 7mm (.284)

Leopard/Kudu/Croc/Zebra/Wildebeest, etc = 7mm (.277)

Impala/Warthog/Bushbuck/Reedbuck, etc = 5.6mm

@Northern Shooter,
Question: Are you contracted for DG, Or are you listing DG as an "opportunity animal"?

If your intent is to hunt DG on your first safari then the 416 would be a good choice with 338 as a second for PG.

If on the other hand you are in an area that has DG and you are only hunting, contracted, for PG then I would just stick with the 338, save on the higher DG fees associated with hunting DG to hunt more PG and shoot the DG with a quality camera as I did on my first safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you