Another UK member

@Alistair Welcome to AH. Us brits need to stick together. Go for the 470 its good for everything and works a treat on boar, you could never be over gunned on boar!!

Oh, I agree, 470 is extremely cool. I also agree that it's perfectly suitable for boar. However, as a fellow Brit, you'll know that the FEO isn't always as keen on such things as w are, especialy as my justification in the short term will be driven boar only. The 9.3 might be a bit more palatable, especially as I'd want AOLQ in the UK as well as use abroad. Have you got a 'big bore' rifle? If so, how did the application go down with the Norfolk fuzz?

Hey Alistair,
Welcome at AH.
9,3 is a good choice for driven boar if you like you can check the German official gunsmith page
https://www.vdb-waffen.de/de/waffenmarkt/langwaffen~doppelbuechsen.html?s

They offer several used ones for good prices in that caliber, are you looking for an over and under or a side by side?
Where you are going on a driven hunt?
If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    363.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I agree, 470 is extremely cool. I also agree that it's perfectly suitable for boar. However, as a fellow Brit, you'll know that the FEO isn't always as keen on such things as w are, especialy as my justification in the short term will be driven boar only. The 9.3 might be a bit more palatable, especially as I'd want AOLQ in the UK as well as use abroad. Have you got a 'big bore' rifle? If so, how did the application go down with the Norfolk fuzz?

I’ve got 375 H&H for AOLQ and a 416 rigby double. Getting the 416 was easy but the 375 was a nightmare. What fuzz are you with?? Some of them are a lot better than others. I would put in for the 470 and if they kick It back go for a 375 double. I say that as a 9.3 isn’t really a DG legal calibre.
Keep your eyes pealed on the holts website they always have some nice doubles there.

Welcome to AH!

I’ve got 375 H&H for AOLQ and a 416 rigby double. Getting the 416 was easy but the 375 was a nightmare. What fuzz are you with?? Some of them are a lot better than others. I would put in for the 470 and if they kick It back go for a 375 double. I say that as a 9.3 isn’t really a DG legal calibre.
Keep your eyes pealed on the holts website they always have some nice doubles there.

I'm currently with West Mercia, but will be moving to Staffs in July. Shame really as WM have always been pretty reasonable, if slow. Might try my luck with the .470, gives me some wriggle room to 'settle' for the .375 or 9.3 if they're not keen. What was the issue with the .375? Just the AOLQ?

@Fritz2611, I'm leaning towards a s/s, mostly on the basis of tradition and aesthetic. I shoot both types in shotgun guise on a regular basis and game shoot with an old sbs hammer gun, so I have a bit of experience with them. As for driven hunts, ideally I'd be going Germany with a friend from the club who speaks the language, but Croatia may be an option as well. Just depends on timings really. Thanks for the link!

Al.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm currently with West Mercia, but will be moving to Staffs in July. Shame really as WM have always been pretty reasonable, if slow. Might try my luck with the .470, gives me some wriggle room to 'settle' for the .375 or 9.3 if they're not keen. What was the issue with the .375? Just the AOLQ?

Al.

Yes it was back when you needed AOLQ for expanding ammo. A letter saying that if I come back in a body bag due to the fact that I haven't had enough experience with the rifle in the field sorted it out.

Welcome to the forum Alistair, you are in the right place! Enjoy!

Welcome to AH Alistair! Glad to have you on board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.