Another straight pull, but this one.... different

mark-hunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Aug 14, 2016
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
14,073
Media
59
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
6 safaris; Namibia: Kalahari, Khomas Highland, Caprivi; Zimbabwe: Doma area, Far East, Croatia
Walther came out with RS 3.
Franz Albrecht is the face of marketing campaign.

Straight pull, bullpup, 3 medium calibers, carbon barrel, proprietary muzzle brake and proprietary silencer. 6 round mags. Barrels non exchangeable.
Buffalo calibers are not (yet) available. :E Shrug:

For me? I dont know.
I still need the time to digest this concept and to decide whether I like it or not.


1769346799396.png
 
Looks like it might be a good hog gun, but I wouldn’t wanna carry something looking like that in Africa. Very European design with that scope mount being really accommodating for their 56mm objectives the Europeans love so much
 
What’s that green tag on the pistol grip
 
It is a different looking rifle, but certainly have some advantages when it comes to compact performance. It is my understanding that creating a quality triggerpulll is usually the issue with the bullpup design, but the video suggests they have solved that issue. Regardless, it is not after my taste, yet.
 
Video here...
 
And it looks like our left-handed compadres will need a completely new rifle for this brand. Unlike the Blaser design that allows changing of the bolt head and bolt assembly on their synthetic models.

But they were able to keep it relatively light at 3.8 Kg (8.3 lbs) and short at 104 cm (41") for already having a suppressor if that's what you are into.
 
Last edited:
Bull pup designs are a interesting study in rifles. It would be a nice driven game or stand/hide kinda gun. Just not sure the physical characteristics would make it a good stalking rifle. But not having handled one that is just a guess.
 
The cocking device is only needed for the first shot and the hand can be away from it for subsequent shots, as the Prince demonstrated on the video. I have heard him say that he is interested in improving optic and gun designs. I know he really values a good trigger pull and bullpup designs are notoriously bad in that regard. I'm not a bullpup fan but you can see it improving in this example.
 
I am going to go and handle one. It's crazy heavy like 8.5 pounds without a scope.
 
I truly love Bullpup rifles and never saw the hate they tend to generate.

With their reduced length, you can have the longer barrel, but still have a compact rifle that so many like in thick cover.

The trigger was always one of the most simple mechanical fixes imaginable. Most had a long push rod that created a lot of friction. You simply convert the trigger from a push to a pull system.
 
Bull pup designs are an interesting study in rifles. It would be a nice driven game or stand/hide kinda gun. Just not sure the physical characteristics would make it a good stalking rifle. But not having handled one that is just a guess.
For stalking it should be quite handy as you would still have the same barrel length as a traditional rifle but it is further into/down the stock so overall length should be shorter.
The standard British SA80 has the same barrel length as what it replaced the SLR.
I’m not a great fan of the bullbutt design they look neat but having the ejector port rattling away right next to your ear takes quite a bit of getting used to.
 
The most interesting part of the design is the interaction between the OAL and the suppressor. A knock on the bullpup design is increased muzzle blast, but the integrated suppressor solves the blast issue.
 
We have had quite a run these past few years here with straight pulls.
  • Anschütz Fortner models (e.g., 1827 Fortner) — 1984
  • Heym SR30 — 1998
  • Blaser R8 — 2008
  • Merkel Helix — 2010
  • Browning Maral — 2013
  • Anschütz 1727 (hunting variant) — 2013
  • Strasser RS14 — 2014
  • Röessler Titan 16 — ~2012–2013
  • Chapuis ROLS — ~2017
  • Schmeisser SP15 — 2019
  • Savage Impulse — 2021
  • Beretta BRX1 — 2021
  • Haenel Jaeger NXT — 2021
  • Strasser RS 700 — 2022
  • Jakele J1 — 2022–2023
  • Dentler DR21 — 2024
Now this Walther in 2026
 
Of all above, I have tried - borrowed - Blaser R8, Merkel Helix, Strasser RS14. Of these three, Merkel Helix had stiff bolt. Blaser R8 and Strasser RS 14, had smooth bolt operation.
 
Of all above, I have tried - borrowed - Blaser R8, Merkel Helix, Strasser RS14. Of these three, Merkel Helix had stiff bolt. Blaser R8 and Strasser RS 14, had smooth bolt operation.
The Strasser and Browning are the most smooth.

Blaser and Savage dominate the accuracy game.
 
This is a neat new rifle obviously built for driven hunts or blind hunts. Is it just me or does it seem to have a very long bolt throw? I hope to see one at SCI
 
Not real thrilled with the "safety" design.
 
The bolt throw in most straight pull rifles is going to be longer than a standard bolt action. The huge amount of camming power and primary extraction when lifting a bolt straight up has to be compensated by distance on a straight pull. The Swiss K31 seems to travel forever compared to a standard bolt action, even though they are wonderfully smooth and well built rifles
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,663
Members
169,811
Latest member
Johnlliamjames
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top