AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Some time back I was showing my gunsmith the 400 Lee Speed I built for myself and he gave me a blank then and there saying that when he got some time to work on his own guns he would barrel a Magazine Lee Enfield action and send it down to have a Lee Speed styled stock made for it. I used a spare action I had to inlet the forestock so that when the B/A arrived it would have a head start as it is easier to then do the barrel channel seperatly. Should get to this over the next couple of weeks. The barrel is chambered for the 270-303 so should be a very good performer on deer.
IMG_20180803_091532.jpg

This apears to be a self made cocking piece aperture sight with no adjustment but that should work well if the propper arithmatic has been done so that zeroing may only require the front sight to be shortened.
IMG_20180803_095413.jpg
IMG_20180803_095503.jpg

Interesting open sights! I wonder how well the gun will shoot?

Provided the sights are zero'd there is no reason that this sight will be any less effective than any other aperture sight which is generally very good to excellent indeed, or at least all of the ones I have and have had were/are.

Was able to make a start on this today. as mentioned I used an action of mine without barrel to do the initial inlet
IMG_20180815_142754.jpg

I was then able to sit barrelled action into the action inlet and mark in the barrel dimensions. Mark them in undersize till the actual fitting reveals the propper finished dimensins.
IMG_20180815_144823.jpg

This is when the smoker gets fired up
IMG_20180815_153318.jpg

This make it so much easier to see where wood needs to come off
IMG_20180815_153414.jpg

And the process begins. I made another scraper from an old file to make scraping small areas more easily done.
IMG_20180815_163819.jpg

Should get this part done tomorrow.

Garry it is great to follow your progress on this new stock building project...After completing all the procedures like bolt lug lapping, truing the bolt face ect I need to build my 8x68 S rifle stock from scratch..I will be visiting previous rifle stock builds that you have done to use as a guide ...(y)(y)(y)

Looking great, I will be following along. Have you done any Ruger No. 1 stocks Garry?

Looking great, I will be following along. Have you done any Ruger No. 1 stocks Garry?
Not for the Ruger Cody, but have done numerous Martini two piece stocks both in the military full length configuration and in sporting style
LSA 577-450.jpg
Photo2452 Martini sporter in 303.jpg

Oh how I wish you were in the states sir!

Too much a creature of habbit to think of being anywhere other than here in my familiar surrounding now Charlie. :D

Understood. You do amazing work sir.

Today saw the barrel channel finished that I started yesterday or as finished as it can be till the forend tip is done.
IMG_20180816_145015.jpg

The Trigger guard needs to be inlet to in conjunction with the action lugs so got that done and the mag well done to the stage that I will have to get the magazine to fit to finish it off now.
IMG_20180816_150814.jpg

This Lee Speed Stock project of yours is moving right along. And to think that it is all being done with hand tools and not a profiler.
This is the way it was done for a very long time so no reason the change what has always worked.

Did some titivating on the trigger guard as it has to have no stress points which effects accuracy so there needs to be a clearance round the edges with just contact at each end then got the ebony cut for the forend tip.
IMG_20180817_155358.jpg

I got out the clamping jig I made to do this job 7 or 8 Lee Speed stocks ago. It ensures that I get propper clamping direction with the forestock held securley in the undercut and with the 20 thou shim just behind the tip as I set the tip 20 thou above the forestock top line to allow for triming to suit.
I dont know why it is, but uploading a picture that I have had to rotate to get proper orientation in my album and then onto the forum takes it back to the original orientation so for those ones I have to upload them via my imgur account

J1nDjLIl.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180817_160452.jpg
    IMG_20180817_160452.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 282
Von Gruff, I'm not familiar with the with the word or actions involved in "titivating on the trigger guard." For those of us that can only marvel at your skills can you please explain what this entails?

Von Gruff, I'm not familiar with the with the word or actions involved in "titivating on the trigger guard." For those of us that can only marvel at your skills can you please explain what this entails?

Titivating is just another word for fussing or finishing Art. When I initially inlet for the TG it is a tight fit but the Lee Enfield action has a few accuracy idiosyncracies that the likes of the 98 action do not, and having clearance round the TG is one of them. When the TG is slid into the locating ears and the pin( I use a pin till final assembly so the fine thread and driving slot of the screw are not damaged by repeated use) is slid into place the TG should be free to pivot into the forestock with about 10 thou clearance right round the mag well (sides and underneath) except for the action screw area which should be a light friction fit.

Spent a couple of hours today getting the forend tip inlet.I do it seperately after the main barrel channel is done because there is sometimes a difference in grain direction that is subtle enough that scraping one way in the channel may go against the grain in the tip and of course the smoke I use to "see" where wood needs removed in the channel is not visible on the ebony so straight edges are the way I check as the channel is extended trhough the tip.
So start with marking in the lines.
IMG_20180821_141710.jpg

You can just see the almost full length support under the tip so there is no stress on the joint as the chiseling gets the main of the wood removed.
IMG_20180821_142329.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg