Another Bucket List Gun Checked Off!

Very nice! Now, if you could find a carbine rifle to go with it?
I have never personally seen one, but as @TOBY458 suggested my next mountain Lion might fall out of a tree due to a 65 grain bullet out of this pistol!
 
I wonder if most of the Marlin Carbines weren’t rechambered? The contender barrel I bought appears brand new. I know it hasn’t been catalogued as long as I’ve been a contenderaphile! I just paid 200 bucks a box for factory ammo so it isn’t shot by non reloaders for sure. It falls into that cartridge category of cool but there is better ones that are more available out there.
 
I wonder if most of the Marlin Carbines weren’t rechambered? The contender barrel I bought appears brand new. I know it hasn’t been catalogued as long as I’ve been a contenderaphile! I just paid 200 bucks a box for factory ammo so it isn’t shot by non reloaders for sure. It falls into that cartridge category of cool but there is better ones that are more available out there.
No, I would bet Marlin had an original factory chambering for the .256 at some point? Maybe even a Winchester 94? I'm sure one of the lever action gurus on here will know. Where's @sestoppelman!
 
Last edited:
No, I would bet Marlin had an original factory chambering for the .256 at some point? Maybe even a Winchester 94? I'm sure one of the lever action gurus on here will know. Where's @sestoppelman!
Marlin did in fact chamber a gun in 256, I’ve just never seen one or I’d own it! I just wonder if most of them were not rechambered to something more main stream.
 
Marlin did in fact chamber a gun in 256, I’ve just never seen one or I’d own it! I just wonder if most of them were not rechambered to something more main stream.
Maybe, I don't know? Somebody, somewhere must have an original in .256. Just a matter of finding it/they?
 
Exactly, that is the fun of it!
 
You'd be looking for a 1963-1969 Marlin Model 62 Levermatic lever action. I'm sure one of the collectors here has one buried in their gun safe? LOL
 
After years of trying to acquire a Ruger Hawkeye 256 Winchester Magnum single shot pistol, I have one in my hands. The blue book says there were 3043 manufactured in 1963 and 1964 only. Some things I have read say there were a few more than that made. I have seen double digit examples and this one is 3099 which leads me to believe there is at least that many. This model was a very slow seller when it came out, leading to its demise and ultimately its value to collectors. Not being a collector but more of an accumulator of things that I like, this one was priced right as it had no box and such and honestly it doesn’t bother me. I bought it to shoot and shoot it I will.
My good friend @ActionBob brought me some ammo while he was down a few years ago to enable me to pull the trigger on one of these handguns! @Glenn Slaven found me 200 pieces of new brass for it and The Bull Shop in Montana is going to make me 65 grain gas checked bullets to throw out of the barrel. All set and can’t wait to shoot it! Hope it meets my expectations after all this time.
Cheers,
Cody
View attachment 455223View attachment 455224View attachment 455225
@Bullthrower338
Cody a great find hope you enjoy, all you need now is a nice little Sako in 256 to go with it.
 
I would love to have that and the companion Win lever gun (for varmints around the farm!)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,400
Members
169,747
Latest member
nexttanebir1980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top