Animal numbers in Namibia 2021 & 2022?

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I've been curious as to the amount of animals others have seen in Namibia over the last couple years. I ask because the drought seemed to have hit central Namibia very hard from what I experienced last September. I didn't get a shot at an animal until the second morning and then nothing the rest of that day. We tried that very large property again on day five and after no success the PH asked me if I wanted to call it at noon. I said yes. We hunted a large high fenced property the majority of the remaining days. We only saw small groups of animals here. They said they normally have herds of 100 or more oryx but the most we saw were maybe 15 or so at one time. At one water hole my PH said he once counted over 100 warthogs while with a client. The most we saw were a couple at a time. They only had a herd of about 20 hartebeest left so I had no chance at any. The grass was waist high almost everywhere and normally it is eaten down to ankle height.

I hope the rains were heavy this last season.

What month were you in Namibia?

It depends of month, and moon.
For oryx, they told me August is best, when they form biggest herds.
If there is a full moon, animals are more active at night, and during the day stay deep in the bush.

Reactions: CJW
September. It wasn't a matter of weather or time of year. It was just that the drought had killed off a ton of animals. The oryx made it most of the way through but died steadily weeks before the rains came. They were so weak they went under the fences but couldn't stand back up on the other side. The PH was a brother to the guy who owned the land and had grown up on the ranch. He said he had never seen it so bad. 2.5 days on the low fenced property yielded one animal. These were management animals. We weren't looking for trophies. I actually sort of felt like we shouldn't be killing anything.

Like I said, I was told the grass would usually have been eaten down to nothing. It was knee to waist high everywhere. That meant no animals were there to eat it.

Strange, for fenced property.

What actually boosted up animal numbers in Namibia (and elswhere), is water well drilling technology.
Game ranches invest in water wells.

This especially applies to fenced properties.
Where I was, there are at least 5 water wells, powered by wind or solar systems. And waterholes are full 2018, 2022).

So, its not everywhere maintained like that.

Last edited:
This is also new perspective, and additional question to ask outfitter in times of drought, before booking a hunt.

Does he have water holes and wind mill pumps?

Water holes are one thing. Having grass to eat is another. They were making bush feed for the cattle.

Even the low fenced property animals, and we're talking tens of thousands of acres, were few and far between.

I was out in Namibia in May 2019 in Kunene, south of Etosha. The drought was evident then. The PH had us targeting specific species, generally Hartebeest, that were more susceptible to drought conditions.
This year it was difficult to arrange a hunt even though the grass levels were high. The wild animal population will take a couple of years to bounce back.

How many years of normal conditions will it take for animal numbers to bounce back? For trophy quality?

I am not familiar with Namibia and the normal Weather cycles there? I assume some parts are “normal” desert environments? Do these areas take longer to recover?

How many years of normal conditions will it take for animal numbers to bounce back? For trophy quality?
Oryx life span in wild, 18 years, eland 15-20 years.
So, trophy size will be in 10, 12 years.

Can be improved and speeded up by reintroduction from live game farm auctions. (with a bit of an issue, as I think - if I am correct, import of game from south africa is temporarlily banned)

I was in Omaheke in May and south of Gobabis. The grass quality was fantastic. However one farm we were hunting springbok on had experienced 2 very hard years.
it was sad to see a farmer who had spent his life building up his farm to being nearly wiped out by 2 years of drought. He had sold most of his farm machinery and a lot of his stock to stay afloat.
In Omaheke there were plenty of oryx and we saw several superb ones. Zebra, red hartebeest , kudu, warthog were evident.
There were millions of mice !! So a strong jackal population.

I've been curious as to the amount of animals others have seen in Namibia over the last couple years. I ask because the drought seemed to have hit central Namibia very hard from what I experienced last September. I didn't get a shot at an animal until the second morning and then nothing the rest of that day. We tried that very large property again on day five and after no success the PH asked me if I wanted to call it at noon. I said yes. We hunted a large high fenced property the majority of the remaining days. We only saw small groups of animals here. They said they normally have herds of 100 or more oryx but the most we saw were maybe 15 or so at one time. At one water hole my PH said he once counted over 100 warthogs while with a client. The most we saw were a couple at a time. They only had a herd of about 20 hartebeest left so I had no chance at any. The grass was waist high almost everywhere and normally it is eaten down to ankle height.

I hope the rains were heavy this last season.
Yes you have now seen what the devastating drough has done over there. It will take time to recover and some places are better off than others at this point. My 2019 group safari over there was sad in many ways. The places where I had seen hundreds of animals running around years ago where I felt I was in some kind of movie were gone or were starving. Now my sheep rancher friends in the South are cutting hay in their native grass pastures. What a turn around!
Ill be hunting southern Namibia next June and by all accounts the hunting will be very good there.
Regards
Philip

Have been going to Namibia at least once a year for the last 15. Exception was 2018 when we went to Australia for a month touring and a 7-day water buffalo cull hunt and of course 2020 with the Rona lockdowns. The drought started about 7-8 yrs ago. Was supposedly the worst/longest in the previous 130yrs.

In 2017 the game numbers were already noticeably crashing. In 2019, a lot of the high fence farms were cutting their fences and opening their gates in the hopes those few surviving head could survive on their own. It wasn't a matter of water for drinking. There was NOTHGING to eat. Normally, the game farmers could get culling permits to sell meat to the local markets. The govt wasn't even allowing culling permits because the cattle farmers were selling their herds and the prices were crashing and the game meat would compete with the beef. Even the few dairy operations in the NE were selling milk cows because there was not enough feed and what feed there was to buy in, they couldn't afford.

In 2021, it was still nearly no grass. Even the typical baboon troupes you'd always see along the road from the a/p to town were absent. Same for the drive from town to hunting area in the NW. Virtually no game seen along the roads. My wife and I would normally spend a night or two in a blind over a waterhole just to watch and count the game and other animals that would come to drink. In previous years, we'd count several hundred head. The small family groups/heads would be stacked up like airliners in holding patterns, waiting for their turns to come in and drink. In 2019 we counted only a few dozen head total.

I just returned from Namibia a couple of weeks ago after 14-days there. There were a couple of baboon along the airport road, but still nothing along the main roads to the farm - not even donkeys, goats or cows. The only game that seemed to have held up were the springbok and leopard. Even the little rock hyrax that you'd normally see scurrying from the ground up into the kopjes all over were a rarity.

That area has seen nearly normal rainfall for the past two years. This year the grasses were back to mid thigh high, but in valleys you used to drive thru and see dozens to hundreds of head of gemsbok and zebra etc., game was nearly absent. It will take a good bit of time to get the numbers back up and for the serous 40" gemsbok and 60" kudu to be back.

As mentioned above, it is absolutely heartbreaking. Landowners who've devoted their entire lives and treasure to putting in bore holes, managing the game, repairing the destruction the roving herd of elephant would do to fences and wells/waterholes etc. to see it all wiped out due to no fault of their own. In "normal" times, you could go the grocery store and they'd have a section set aside to buy game meats of various types. Was usually a little less than beef. Last year and this, those sections were gone. Those high fence operations are having a difficult time trying to restock because there are very limited game numbers for sale and those that are are "over the moon high". The irony was, the while the majority of the country was suffering from drought, the rivers on the northern boarder and Caprivi strip were still flooding every year from rains to from the north.

All that said, I am NOT advocating avoiding going to Namibia to hunt. Lord knows every operator and every B&B owner and every restaurant desperately NEED income and the support of the hunting and tourist communities. There are hurtable head there and there are species that are only found there, like mountain zebra, dik-dik etc., but, you will have to work for them and make EVERY shot count because you honestly may not have another opportunity.

Last edited:
I just got back from a trip to central Namibia in May. It was my first trip there so I have nothing to compare it to, but we saw a lot of game. It was low fence (maybe 3 or 4 feet tall), but there were a lot of waterholes. My PH acted like there used to be a lot more game, but to me it was still much more than I was used to seeing here in the states. We were able to get some great animals either way, but it was hard hunting. I will add that we did not see a single warthog. The PH said they’re the first to go in a drought.

I just got back from a trip to central Namibia in May. It was my first trip there so I have nothing to compare it to, but we saw a lot of game. It was low fence (maybe 3 or 4 feet tall), but there were a lot of waterholes. My PH acted like there used to be a lot more game, but to me it was still much more than I was used to seeing here in the states. We were able to get some great animals either way, but it was hard hunting. I will add that we did not see a single warthog. The PH said they’re the first to go in a drought.
The kudu were also hit hard. We only saw 2 shootable bulls the over 2 weeks.

I was in Omaheke in May and south of Gobabis. The grass quality was fantastic. However one farm we were hunting springbok on had experienced 2 very hard years.
it was sad to see a farmer who had spent his life building up his farm to being nearly wiped out by 2 years of drought. He had sold most of his farm machinery and a lot of his stock to stay afloat.
In Omaheke there were plenty of oryx and we saw several superb ones. Zebra, red hartebeest , kudu, warthog were evident.
There were millions of mice !! So a strong jackal population.

If a guy wants an oryx in Namibia they can still certainly get a good one. I shot a couple nice ones.

Yes, the jackal were thick. A lot of fun could have been had with a 223 and predator call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashawndaN

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!