Animal list for upcoming hunt

The animals most important are the Giraffe and the Blue and Back wildebeests. Would it be better to focus on these animals and hunt the others as targets of opportunity?

Ok, just looked at where you are going. (You have read my hunt report on the Outfitter.)
If nothing much has changed since I was there two years ago, and nothing much should have, here is my opinion from being on the ground.
With some luck and straight shooting and the great support team that is at your Outfitter you could get two out of three of your list the first day. Giraffe and Blue Wildebeest. With some more luck you can find that Black Wildebeest the same day.
Gemsbok, Steenbok, Impala, Burchell Zebra are all there in high to good numbers.
The one you could be pickiest on is the Gemsbok.

There are lots of Eland and I saw Kudu bulls every day.
If you see a good Kudu, take it when Diana smiles on you.

That should take care of most of the top of your list.

Have fun.

In my limited opinion, you are asking too much for 5 days. If you can swing it, 7 or 9 days would be better and more relaxed.

As most have noted, adding some days is going to make your trip much more relaxing. It is good advice.

That is a heck of a list. I think you have gotten great advice. I would talk with the outfitter and see if you can get a separate vehicle to pick up each trophy so you can continue hunting and also take a field lunch. Be the first guy to breakfast and you should be able to get it done. But I think you are putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I would practice practice practice shooting from sticks and getting on a target quickly. This messed with me as a whitetail deer hunter where I usually have time to get the perfect shot. Your ability to be able to quickly drop an animal to avoid long tracking might be the difference between you getting everything or a list unfulfilled.

Should be a heck of a story.

.........I would practice practice practice shooting from sticks and getting on a target quickly. ............

Very good point. Nothing screws up a timeline like wounded game.

telling them your wish list now will better help them make sure you have the right Ph for the job also. It will take the right PH if your sticking to the goal you started with. Not ever ph will even want to do such a hunt but may be forced to and that will end bad for everyone.

Good luck on your hunt and share the pictures!

I,m going to focus on the top of my list, but will take others as targets of opportunity. I,ll need to contact my outfitter and travel agent to see about extra time. Thanks again to all for your information and opinions.

For my next hunt, I am planning on 7 days and have 3 animals as my goal, as I wont shoot the first one which pops up.

Then, if time allows, jackals, baboons and warthogs beware.

I am not quite as far along in the planning stages as you are, still a couple years out. I have loosely planned 10-14 days of hunting and I have a strong desire to shoot a Kudu and a Waterbuck but since this is going to be my first trip I'm not too hung up on any particular animal. I have just decided how much I want to spend on trophy fees and will let Africa decide for me. I started out with a list of 10 animals but it seemed new ideas kept popping up and I just decided to take what comes. After I get the first trip under my belt I can concentrate on filling in the blanks.

Good luck and good shooting!
Bob

I've got 5 animals on my list and 9 days of hunting I might add one or two others if things go good. Seems like way to many for me I want to enjoy my first time and not seem rushed.

After all the helpful comments I have decided to focus on a few of my top choices and take any others as the opportunity permits.

After all the helpful comments I have decided to focus on a few of my top choices and take any others as the opportunity permits.

That will work. Have fun.

I am not quite as far along in the planning stages as you are, still a couple years out. I have loosely planned 10-14 days of hunting and I have a strong desire to shoot a Kudu and a Waterbuck but since this is going to be my first trip I'm not too hung up on any particular animal. I have just decided how much I want to spend on trophy fees and will let Africa decide for me. I started out with a list of 10 animals but it seemed new ideas kept popping up and I just decided to take what comes. After I get the first trip under my belt I can concentrate on filling in the blanks.

Good luck and good shooting!
Bob
Have you decided on an area and outfitter yet??

Have a blast, look forward to the pics and report!

Sure its ambitious but go for it! One think about it is you just never know what's behind the next bush. Just no matter what enjoy yourself and the time spent with your boy. That's what's most important.

One thing about it too is there is generally at least one day out of the trip the hunting gods really smile on you and it seems there's a corker behind every bush. I had to really show some restraint that I didn't know I had because there were a few days I could have really piled some stuff up. I spent about two weeks there and we killed a male lion, cape buff, springbok x2, Impala, zebra, and kudu. Had I not had to watch my budget it would have been scary to think what all we could have brought home. It will be a lot of hunting but hey that's what your there for and I'd be willing to bet you'll get the majority if not all of your animals. An extra day or two wouldn't hurt though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg