Animal Engraving On a Double Rifle

Another example (a better example of chiseled as it contains the degree of relief typical of chiseled work):

image.jpeg

A touch of gold leaf inlay is a thing of beauty. It's been said that the caliber of the rifle dictates the animal engraving.

Any of these examples would easily run well in excess of $25k (if not double that amount...depends upon the engraver, those carrying a better reputation in serious demand, and therefore, carrying a price tag to suit).

Bulino is the most photo resolution quality but it isn't as durable.

If you want durable beauty deep scroll engraving is going to look great even with heavy wear. Celtic engraving, acanthus engraving would be the two best choices.

Look at best quality Scottish, Francotte and German guns of vintage for examples. It's harder to do but it really holds up to surface wear.

I'd advise you buy an engraved gun instead of engraving one yourself. I had a gun with $4000 in engraving that I sold last month for $4000.

Better to acquire someone else's bad investment than to do that favor for someone else.

For an excellent American engraver that is not outrageous, Google Frank Conroy. He has the bonofides and won't charge you $20,000.

I feel like Congress needs to increase the pay of military personnel so that I can afford a custom engraved double.

For now, I'll just enjoy the photos. Great artwork. I really like the Purdey doubles that @CTDolan shared. Thanks.

thanks for the pictures @CTDolan !

-matt

your closer then you think... Warthog!

the Warthog is easily my favorite African animal and i could think of no other critter id want more to adorn a fine double rifle. the trick now is to figure out what style of engraving id like the pig to be done in. Heym's first suggestion was "Bulino" engraving which looks like a photograph. this type of engraving is impressive with its level of detail but im not exactly sure its what im looking for.

here is the example of "Bulino" engraving (just the animal):

@Matt

View attachment 55967
Oh lordy but that's nice.

Enjoying seeing some of these pictures of amazing work!

While at it, this is my personal favorite (featuring a Jones under-lever with the Webley snap-action patent, coupled with the justly famous Beesley self-opening action, all realized by the justly famous firm of James Purdey & Sons). At $38,000, given the rifle's provenance and make, this is, in my opinion, an absolute steal. I'm sure @cal pappas will agree.

http://www.sitemason.com/page/ciafgA

While at it, this is my personal favorite (featuring a Jones under-lever with the Webley snap-action patent, coupled with the justly famous Beesley self-opening action, all realized by the justly famous firm of James Purdey & Sons). At $38,000, given the rifle's provenance and make, this is, in my opinion, an absolute steal. I'm sure @cal pappas will agree.

looks like Kynoch makes 400/360 NE (Purdey) http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/400-360 Purdey.html

not the most powerful cartridge out there but would work on most PG at close range. recoil would be real soft from a 9 pound rifle.

-matt

The workmanship and design of the rifle is second to none, easily the equal of rifles selling for four times the cost. Were it a 450/400, or some other more popular caliber, it'd long have disappeared.

looks like Kynoch makes 400/360 NE (Purdey) http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/400-360 Purdey.html

not the most powerful cartridge out there but would work on most PG at close range. recoil would be real soft from a 9 pound rifle.

-matt

If I owned the rifle I'd take it to the whitetail woods. I can hardly think of a better experience than to be in the forest of my youth, clutching that marvelous Purdey.

Keep an eye on http://www.holtsauctioneers.com/ if you see something you like let me know I have a few contacts there and pop in on a regular basis for a look at some of the lots.

@CTDolan I've handled a sister gun to the one you showed. The self-opener with the indestructible jones rotary underlever is an amazing combination. The safety on these guns is a bit strange to get used to, however. The price believe it or not is not that far off. The one I handled was in similar condition and went in the mid-20k range but had been rechambered to 9.3x74r from perhaps .360? It was otherwise minty and I played with it for at least ten minutes last August on the East coast.

What I've discovered about DRs is that if the gun isn't a seven pin sidelock with south gates, ejectors, a true magnum rimless cartridge, full nitro proofs, and long length of pull, it is a difficult rifle to move. Odd Brit doubles sit awhile. There is a guy that has a true nitro 470 rigby in so-so working condition that was made in the 1920 era with HAMMERS and a Jones lever (30 years late?) and he's sat on it on a gun auction site at $12k for years. I bet it could be had for mid-$8k range. The point? If the gun is unorthodox the price is lower than you might think, even for a maestro of a best gun like that self opening purdey. (I still want that beesely patent though!)

You are correct, odd calibers and/or features (such as the under-lever) can be difficult to move (certainly Lewis Drake, if anyone, knows how to price a such vintage piece). But, if a person wants a true best-quality gun (not one merely pretending to be), you will not find a better deal. In this regard, the rifle is an absolute steal.

It reminds me of a Purdey 12 bore I saw at a gun show once upon a time (roughly 20 years ago). The serial number placed it in the early 1920's, and it of course had all the lovely features common to a Purdey (the Beesley action, Wem ejector (basically a Southgate), Purdey's house engraving, etc.). The gun was as tight as new, firm on the face and in lovely condition, and the guy was asking only $10,000! This is for a Purdey made at a time when, many would argue, they were turning out the finest of the fine. It was well beyond what I could afford then (still would be) but I asked the guy about the shotgun, and the price. His comment was that it had 2-1/2" chambers so, in his mind, it was useless! I was dumbstruck.

Matt,
What a fun project! I would say Big 5 you pick. I agree it should be simple and classic. If not Big 5 I would pick Kudu.
I really hope you enjoy designing a new double rifle. I hope to get one someday!
Regards,
Philip

Another example (a better example of chiseled as it contains the degree of relief typical of chiseled work):

View attachment 154249

I think this type of engraving is more to my liking then the more "photo like" engraving. I will probably go visit Heym's US location in TX sometime next year to be fitted and discuss ordering. maybe ill go to the Dallas safari show while im at it.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg