An Englishman attempts to cross the pond!

Good man Tom sound like fun

Where you headed? My wife drew unit 43 buck antelope and I drew doe tag. You be around there?

Where you headed? My wife drew unit 43 buck antelope and I drew doe tag. You be around there?

Area/Type
NONRESIDENT ANTELOPE - 023-1
NONRESIDENT DEER - C

Reactions: WAB
He'll be north of you quite a ways. Pretty close to where you hunted last year.

This will certainly be an adventure.

Last edited:
Good Luck! I wonder if it'll be like Africa, planning a second trip after the first day's hunt. :ROFLMAO:

This is a great testimony to the core values of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. “Hunting opportunity for all.”
I am very excited for you.(y)(y)(y)

Area 23 has a lot of antelope. The problem is that most of them are on private land or public land that is "land locked", that is not accessible to the general public because its surrounded by private property. Especially after the first couple of days of the season. Most ranchers in the area either lease to an outfitter or charge an access fee.
Has your group arranged to hunt private property? Has someone in your group hunted here before? I know of one group of non-residents that has the onyx maps. They come in a couple of days early and scout the schoolhouse sections that have public access. Opening AM they start where they know there is a decent buck. They may have people on 3 or more properties. They keep jumping from section to section until they fill their tags. What I'm telling you is that there is a lot competition for animals on public land in unit 23. There is some additional public land over on the West side. Never been there so I'm not sure about it. There is a big walk in area on the N side. Usually has 1-2 herds there on opening day.
Good luck.....
Bruce

Area 23 has a lot of antelope. The problem is that most of them are on private land or public land that is "land locked", that is not accessible to the general public because its surrounded by private property. Especially after the first couple of days of the season. Most ranchers in the area either lease to an outfitter or charge an access fee.
Has your group arranged to hunt private property? Has someone in your group hunted here before? I know of one group of non-residents that has the onyx maps. They come in a couple of days early and scout the schoolhouse sections that have public access. Opening AM they start where they know there is a decent buck. They may have people on 3 or more properties. They keep jumping from section to section until they fill their tags. What I'm telling you is that there is a lot competition for animals on public land in unit 23. There is some additional public land over on the West side. Never been there so I'm not sure about it. There is a big walk in area on the N side. Usually has 1-2 herds there on opening day.
Good luck.....
Bruce
All very true, all of the public land down there is crawling with hunters the first couple of days. After that it's not so bad but you have to wait a few days for the antelope to come back after being chased onto private land. Fortunately for UKH he has a member of his group that has a friend down there that owns a rather large ranch. So he has a head start in that respect, but he still needs to able to hit them and that's all on him. It should be quite an experience for him.

Nothing like an "in" to make life a little easier.

Open country hunting without a rangefinder is a challenge for sure.

Very true, the range problem can be mitigated a bit with a good flat shooting rifle though but a guy still has to know his limits.

I'm glad he has an "in". He should have a great hunt and see a lot of antelope and deer. That is the hunt unit that I usually kill my antelope in. Last year my son filled 3 doe/fawn tags by 10.30 am. Every year there are some folks that draw that unit and find all of the antelope have been pushed off of the public land. One rancher, that is a client of mine, tells me that one piece of property that he has usually has 15-30 antelope on it at the beginning of the season. By the end usually 50-60. If I remember right its only 3-4,000 acres. Usually a couple of hunters early on and then no pressure. They move away from the hunting pressure. When the pressure subsides they move back. Sometimes can get a good one towards the end of the season on public. Ya never know.
Bruce

The ranch that I hunt on is the same way, lots of hunters the first 3 or 4 days then after that we pretty much have the place to ourselves. It's funny the way most guys think that you have to get there early to get the big ones.

Antelope hunting without a rangefinder? :eek:
That is like duck hunting without decoys
Or fly fishing without a net!

Well, tags were drawn - Mule deer and antelope. The count down starts!
Congrats on drawing the tags! I am sure you will have a great time. Antelope are just a ton of fun to hunt, and mule deer will make you an addict!
The best of hunter’s luck to you. Don’t forget your camera! And a video camera wouldn’t go to waste either ;)

19 days till I get on the plane... :A Banana::E Celebrate:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

ready_to_go.gif

Only 11 days till I load up the truck and head west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross