An African Dilemma......Hmmm....What to Use?

If I may lend a machete to your intellectual thicket, sell half your rifles at a tidy profit, go on three safaris. Just make sure you keep the .375. I have never felt undergunned with mine, and that includes a extremely angry cow elephant at 40 yds, lion at 40 yds , cape buff at 70 yds and kodiak bear at 60 yds. All one shot kills.
Thought about it but those are my babies. Can't bring myself to do it. 3 safari's would be cool though.

Eene, Meni, Mini, Moe, depending on your choice of game, there isn't a "bad" option in the whole lot!! If you had two or three buddies going with you they could each take two. Then you could switch up on a daily basis depending what species were most likely to be encountered.

Take the 375HH and live happily ever after

Keep it simple, although I know it's hard to do, and just take the .375 unless you are after elephant.
Regards,
Philip

I am often asked what gun, what caliber? My standard reply is "choose a caliber that suits the task, with ammo that is readily available, and a weapon that feels good to you.

My choice for all things Africa is also a 375 H&H. A formidable round and you will be hard pressed to find a camp that doesn't have a few laying around, just in case something happens and you need a few spares.

But what about the others????...they'll be sad! Hey how about the 358 Norma Mag that I'm having built...eh...eh? Could be a good choice huh huh?
If I was going to go I would be taking ammo with me. Health challenges are starting to win at the game of life so the opportunity window is shrinking a bit quicker these days unfortunately.
I do agree that the 375 is a good choice but...........the others!

8x68 aren't you messing around with a 35Whelen?

this Saturday (3/18) I'm taking a bunch of rifles for a rangeday with some other instructors- one of the items on the list is to shoot the 404, sighting the open sights for 75 yards with 450 gr Woodleighs and the QD scope (pres a 2-7x Leupold) for 2o0 yards with 350 gr woodleighs. I plan on breaking the rifle in this Fall on elk. We'll see how it works as a switch hitter.

Ray B: This rangeday outing of yours sounds worthy of it's very own report. Please tell us (and show us) more of your 404!

Take the 375 and the 450 and take the scope off the 450. As mentioned the 375 will do everything and would serve as a scoped backup to the 450.

8x68 aren't you messing around with a 35Whelen?
Yes Sir. Actually taking it out to the range Sunday. The temperature is supposed to be not frackin' cold so hopefully I'll get a decent shoot in!

Take the 375 and the 450 and take the scope off the 450. As mentioned the 375 will do everything and would serve as a scoped backup to the 450.
Problem is my eyesight can't line up front and back sight without much blurryness. If something mean and nasty charged me I would have to aim for the lightest part of the animal which I would assume would be it's teeth or eye!

Yes Sir. Actually taking it out to the range Sunday. The temperature is supposed to be not frackin' cold so hopefully I'll get a decent shoot in!
are you loading 225s or 250s,

Problem is my eyesight can't line up front and back sight without much blurryness. If something mean and nasty charged me I would have to aim for the lightest part of the animal which I would assume would be it's teeth or eye!
Ever think about a Peep for the Bruno?

Ever think about a Peep for the Bruno?
Thought about it but I don't think it would have much effect throwing it at a charging meany.
Seriously though I can only focus on the front sight. Anything closer is blurry. I might possible be able to use a Holographic or Scout style scope.

are you loading 225s or 250s,
I've just loaded up 2 different loads (IMR 3031, IMR 4895) with the 225's. Going to shoot a larger 10 shot string a 100yds (to see if original group was a fluke) and them a smaller 5 shot string at 200yds.

Thought about it but I don't think it would have much effect throwing it at a charging meany.
Seriously though I can only focus on the front sight. Anything closer is blurry. I might possible be able to use a Holographic or Scout style scope.

Hi 8x68,

An aperachure or "peep" sight, relatively close to your eye is, if not intended to be blurry, certainly is of little to no consequence that it's blurry.
That front sight is the one that needs to appear "crisp".
And the target should be also slightly blurry, (easier said than done in a charge, no doubt).

My eyes are to the point where the typical tiny notch in "normal" rear sights is very difficult to impossible for me to see in poor light.
But a large aperature, sometimes called a "ghost ring", combined with a white front sight, gives me a usable sight picture, even in not the best light conditions.
Admittedly, a rifle scope is best for me now (My eyes are 64 years old these days), but I can still shoot straight with the above mentioned, over-sized peep sight.

Another rear sight worth mentioning is the wide, very shallow "V" or "express type.
With one of these and a large white front bead, when the rifle is regulated for a "6:O'Clock hold" at - name your distance within reason - with this arrangement, I can shoot pretty well, even with my antique eyes.

So, if for some reason you do not want a scope on your rifle, (personally I don't like them on doubles), the "ghost ring" or the "express sight" could possibly work for you.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I'm glad to see that you are adding a 35 Whelen to your already impressive battery of African ready rifles. My favorite 35 Whelen load is 59 Gr. of 4064 pushing a 225 Barnes or Nosler bullet. The ballistics of that load is awesome. Check it out in comparison to the other calibers you have available. For PG I took it to Africa and left my 375 H & H and 416 Rigby at home. I also took a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for Impala sized game. Your Whelen and 7X 57 will cover any and all PG situations. BTW I think most folks on this website would welcome your dilemma.

I've just loaded up 2 different loads (IMR 3031, IMR 4895) with the 225's. Going to shoot a larger 10 shot string a 100yds (to see if original group was a fluke) and them a smaller 5 shot string at 200yds.
You also might try RL15 with a 57g charge
or Win 748 with a 59g charge
both gave me a touch over 2500fps(2517/2510) and the 748 gave me a touch more accuracy,,good luck with you range day, Some day Summer will return to Minnesota and I can get busy again

Hi 8x68,

An aperachure or "peep" sight, relatively close to your eye is, if not intended to be blurry, certainly is of little to no consequence that it's blurry.
That front sight is the one that needs to appear "crisp".
And the target should be also slightly blurry, (easier said than done in a charge, no doubt).

My eyes are to the point where the typical tiny notch in "normal" rear sights is very difficult to impossible for me to see in poor light.
But a large aperature, sometimes called a "ghost ring", combined with a white front sight, gives me a usable sight picture, even in not the best light conditions.
Admittedly, a rifle scope is best for me now (My eyes are 64 years old these days), but I can still shoot straight with the above mentioned, over-sized peep sight.

Another rear sight worth mentioning is the wide, very shallow "V" or "express type.
With one of these and a large white front bead, when the rifle is regulated for a "6:O'Clock hold" at - name your distance within reason - with this arrangement, I can shoot pretty well, even with my antique eyes.

So, if for some reason you do not want a scope on your rifle, (personally I don't like them on doubles), the "ghost ring" or the "express sight" could possibly work for you.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Thanks Velomeister.
Food for thought. To be honest I've never used a peep sight. Used to use the irons then decided to start using optics as my eyes decided to suck. I've looked through peep sights when I was younger but a scope was "cooler" back then.

I'm glad to see that you are adding a 35 Whelen to your already impressive battery of African ready rifles. My favorite 35 Whelen load is 59 Gr. of 4064 pushing a 225 Barnes or Nosler bullet. The ballistics of that load is awesome. Check it out in comparison to the other calibers you have available. For PG I took it to Africa and left my 375 H & H and 416 Rigby at home. I also took a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for Impala sized game. Your Whelen and 7X 57 will cover any and all PG situations. BTW I think most folks on this website would welcome your dilemma.
Thank you for the kind words. I really would be torn though. The 8x68 would be a "one battery rifle" for PG would it not?
It really is my favourite. Then there's the Ruger RS MKII I just bought in 7x64.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg