Ammunition Holder for Buffalo Hunt Options

Roller

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, RSA, USA
I have yet to hunt cape buffalo, but plan to in the next year or two with a Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag I own. What do you recommend for a ammo holder ( culling belt or belt pouch (?)...leather or canvas (?) , if pouch , open or with flap (?), etc.) ?

I use an Els & Co. webbing belt. The belt holds cartridge slides, knife, water bottle and a small possibles pouch.

Here is my setup. Els belt and open top pouch.

BUctk5kl.jpg

I have two of Dick Murray's leather cartridge belts--one for 375 H&H and one for 416 Rigby. He makes them in 6 and 8 round sizes that slide onto your belt. I bought the one without the cover flap, but I think he makes both kinds. MurrayCustomLeather.com.

I have an ELS open belt pouch, the one that takes nine rounds. But i have an aversion to stuff around my waist, it somehow gets in the way or is uncomfortable, especially if you need to crawl. The exception is my small sheath knife that lives on the right between the belt hoops so it doesn't work its way around. I confess I used the ELS pouch for my buffalo hunt with the four rounds placed only every second slot so they were easy to pluck out. But from now on I will be using the cartridge slots on my hunting shirts, easy to get at, easy to keep an eye on, you can crawl, no negatives. Never liked the idea of butt pouches, spoils the clean uncluttered rifle lines and certainly no easier to access than the shirt slots. Enjoy your buffalo hunt!
EF424287-2C5C-4177-AAC6-50F5796AA2B9.jpeg

I'm planning on getting a Murray C-8 Cartridge belt with leather loops.
Currently I'm using a Galco Safari 5 that I had the top cut off and finished.
I'll most likely end up keeping the wife's ammo in the Safari 5, but on my Murray belt.
When she decides to hunt Buffalo, we can put it on her belt.
Until then it's just easier for me to carry it for her.

FYI - This pouch will hold 416RM, 375H&H and 300WM all with equal tension.
1597089742502.png

I'm planning on getting a Murray C-8 Cartridge belt with leather loops.
Currently I'm using a Galco Safari 5 that I had the top cut off and finished.
I'll most likely end up keeping the wife's ammo in the Safari 5, but on my Murray belt.
When she decides to hunt Buffalo, we can put it on her belt.
Until then it's just easier for me to carry it for her.

FYI - This pouch will hold 416RM, 375H&H and 300WM all with equal tension.
View attachment 362042

Funny, I have a Galco Safari 5 that I was considering using but kind of wanted the flap out of the way too. I think an open top makes more sense for dangerous game based on this and other's input.

All of the cartridges fit snug enough that the rims are above the top leather.
Makes it very easy to grab and pull out in a hurry.
They can also be pushed down a bit more for more tension if necessary.
I prefer the open top style, but to each their own.

My leathersmith did a great job with the Safari 5.
Cut the top & bottom leather off, sanded down, stained and burnished.
Here's a picture of what the top looks like.
1597097286018.png

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations and we have a variety of culling belts, ammo holders, etc. Our site is www.africansc.com and feel free to call me at 419 529 5599 with any questions.

Jim

I have the Murray Ammo belt and it is well made. Used it on my first hunt. Went with a good leather (Murray) belt and the Murray C-2 open shell holder with elastic loops for my second buff hunt and like it better. Holds 6 rounds. Also use a C-3B shell holder on the belt. More flexible set up than the all in one ammo belt.

Simple, basic, and slips on most any belt and accepts cartridges from .35 to .600; made in USA:

Attachments

• 51957_600x400.jpg
    51957_600x400.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 404
Blaser R8 w/Classic Sporter stock

I think the Murray belt is the best quality and most useful design out there. This one has been on several trips that included buffalo.

I do use an ELS and their web belt for Western Hemisphere game - but for Africa and a buffalo, Murray is unsurpassed.

This method works well for me. Take a BDU summer weight top of whatever color/pattern you want and have someone sew elastic ammo carriers meant for a rifle stock to the inside of the lower pockets. Make sure the cartridge holder is attached so that if the cartridges move downward the bottom of the pocket stops the cartridge. If you have occasion to empty the magazine on your bolt gun then it is highly likely that someone else has started shooting.

DSC02687.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.