Ammunition for Wildebeest

Sounds like you already know which one to bring, your trusty CZ 30-06 go to gun. It will do well on everything you plan on hunting and it sounds like you shoot it very well. Any well constructed controlled expansion 165 grain bullet should suit your needs.

If you are a handloader, you should be able to get more velocity than that even with a 20" barrel. I would try a different load combination and maybe a quicker burning powder more suitable for the shorter barrel. I don't see why you couldn't get near 2700 fps with a 165 gr bullet.

Happy hunting.

There is so much good advise over here. From my side, bring the rifle you are most comfortable with.
A well placed shot will do the trick. I use Sierre in my 270Win and I have been happy with them. Killed many animals with it. So many people have said that they are too soft. Never had that problem.
Happy hunting and enjoy planning your hunt!

Based on your list, you probably won't be shooting over long distances. So the 30-06 will be perfect, with heavier bullets. I agree with the post above, try find a load with the 180 gr that your rifle likes and use that for everything. You really don't need a muzzle velocity above 2400ft/s. You could also load up the 7x64 with a 175gr and use that, it's lethal. I am, however, very partial toward the brenneke. It's my absolute favorite and deadly as any other. But, as the above said, go with what you find most comfortable and know best and you'll be successful. Put one through the heart and that bull isn't going to go far at all.

Practice, Practice, Practice. Perhaps find yourself a set of shooting sticks and get used to shooting off them at weird angles. Enjoy your hunt, I hope it's as remarkable as you are hoping for. :)

I only have experience with one of the rifles you listed the 30-06, mine is a Ruger #1 and I feed it steady diet of 180 grn projectiles. The 06 with a premium 180grn bullet (partition, A-frame, TBBC or one of the coppers) is all you will need for the brindled Gnu.

Either gun should be fine with 150 g or larger bullet choice using better quality ammo. Best of luck. I shot my wildebeest with a .300 and 180g Federal premium ammo in the neck, he dropped on the spot!

Many thanks to everybody for the expertise.
I am just back from SA, where i brought my CZ stutzen in 30-06. I was with 3 friend going after buffaloes and my rifle looked like a pea shooter among: one Steyr .375 H&H, one Ruger .416 Rem, one Sabatti double in .500.
However my rifle did well, and all animals collapsed on the spot. Only a blessbock ewe required a second shot, but just because the PH was in a hurry to take a photo and pass to the next quarry.
With my extremely limited experience I was deluded by nyala: was I in a special place or is it extremely easy to approach?
Thanks again.

You did good. Congratulations.

I tend to use the heaviest bulletts I can, but in reality with good shot placement any of what you have will work. I would use the 30-06 personally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you