Ammunition for Wildebeest

ofbiro

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
RSA Namibia
Next July I’ll do my first and probably last (due to my age) hunting trip to South Africa. For budget reasons I chose a reduction hunt package: 1 Nyala, 1 Striped Wildebeest, 2 Impalas ,1 Warthog.

I possess: 1 Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 7 mm Rem. Mag., 1 Voere Titan in 7x64 and one CZ 550 Carbine (Mannlicher style) in 30.06.

To the best of my knowledge Nyala, Impala and Warthog are relatively light and could be brought down with any of my rifles, or even by a smaller one.
My major concern is the Wildebeest (poor man's buffalo) requiring a bullet with muscles.

I am a bit reluctant to use the 7 R.M., being the rifle accurate but long, fitted with muzzle brake (it seems that PH don’t like the device) and tested only with light bullets (Barnes TTSX 140 grs).

The 7x64 as well is tested only with 140 grs (Nosler Partition and Hornady SST).

The 30.06 is well proven with Sierra HPBT 165 grs, with outstanding accuracy (3 shots one hole at 100 m). Due to bullet weight and short barrel (20 in.) the MV is limited to 760 m/s (2493 fps).
According to the agent the area is covered with vegetation and shots are never taken beyond 200 m.

Questions to colleagues with more African experience.
1. Is the Sierra suitable for the planned game, with special reference to the Wildebeest?
2. If not which other bullet is suggested?
3. Which bullets are suggested for the 7x64 and for the a.m. game?

Many thanks in advance.

All your calibers will work with the correct bullet placement and quality bullets like Swift , Barnes as well as others .

Bring your rifle that you are most accurate with , your PH will most appreciate that !

30-06 Will do the job perfectly. Striped wildebeest, presume you referring to the brindle (blue) wildebeest.

Don't worry about the PH and the muzzle break. If he is aware, he will accomodate you and protect his hearing.
Average weight is 260-290 kg for a blue wildebeast. Unfortunately I can't think of a similar weight animal in the south Tyrol you could compare it too.
All the rifle/projectile combinations you list would work well. In 7mm the TTSX and Partition would be my choices. If travel weight is a factor take the .30-06 as the 165 at those velocities will work very well.
If CRF is an issue for you use the Voere or the CZ550. If the Voere is one of the Mauser '98 models, I would take it with 140 Partitions.

Which is your favourite rifle ? Take that one.

All good advise. Just place the bullet correctly and you will be fine. I killed a blue wildebeest with a 270 with 150 grain nosler partition bullet. Ran 75 yards. Now hanging on my wall!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot my blue wildebeest with 7mm rem and 150gr TTSX.
Hit i a bit to far back but it run about 40m and fell over stone dead.

30.06 w/ 168gr. BarnesTTSX.... 10 PG animals including Black & Blue Wildebeest

On my last trip back home (SA) I shot a blue wildebeest on a farm near Bela Bela - I used my Manlicher 7x64 (pictured below) loaded with 150gr E-tips - it Was standing broadside at 125 yards, I shot it through the heart / lungs, it walked 5 or 10 paces and fell over dead

e50f3367c0ec6617fd585b033a46fd5a_zpsq8veappk.jpg

Attachments

• e50f3367c0ec6617fd585b033a46fd5a_zpsq8veappk.jpg
    e50f3367c0ec6617fd585b033a46fd5a_zpsq8veappk.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
I vote for your 30-06, as it is plenty of gun and it sound like you are most accurate with it. That should give you confidence with it too. I shot my blue wildebeeste with a 300 WM shooting 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt. Nothing fancy about that ammo, but that's what the PH provided (rented rifle and ammo) and it did the trick. Shot the blue at about 100 yards, it was quartering towards me, and it dropped in its tracks.

Any one of those rifles will work. The Nosler and TTSX loads are just fine. I am not a big fan of the Sierra bullets and would prefer Swift/Nosler/Barnes for Africa. Yes the bullets cost more but they are the cheapest part of the hunt and are what actually determines if the animal is put down quickly or even at all. Bullet placement is the most important point.

Reactions: lcq
Hello ofbiro,

I've used the .30-06 with 220 grain round nose softs (Hornady) on blou wildebeest (as well as multiple other species) and enjoyed perfect success.
The rifle and cartridges belonged to the PH and many clients, as well as himself have used this combination for many years with no failures (except of course when a poor shot is placed off the vitals, like any caliber).
The Hornady round nose bullets are getting difficult to find but Woodleigh makes a 220 gr round nose .30 that is even better (tougher).

In spite of the above being perfectly adequate, today if I were loading .30-06 ammunition for thorn bush conditions in much of South Africa, (probably like where you are going) I would choose the Swift A-Frame bullet in 180, or 200, or 220 grain.
Which specific weight would be determined by which of the three that my rifle printed the smallest 3 shot group at the farthest distance I intended to take game at.
In your case, it is 200 yards/meters.
And don't fuss over split-hair target grade accuracy.
If you can hit a soda pop can or typical coffee cup with your rifle/hunting load every time, you should have no problem in Africa.

Buy or make some sticks similar to what your PH will be carrying, then practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hello ofbiro,

I've used the .30-06 with 220 grain round nose softs (Hornady) on blou wildebeest (as well as multiple other species) and enjoyed perfect success.
The rifle and cartridges belonged to the PH and many clients, as well as himself have used this combination for many years with no failures (except of course when a poor shot is placed off the vitals, like any caliber).
The Hornady round nose bullets are getting difficult to find but Woodleigh makes a 220 gr round nose .30 that is even better (tougher).

In spite of the above being perfectly adequate, today if I were loading .30-06 ammunition for thorn bush conditions in much of South Africa, (probably like where you are going) I would choose the Swift A-Frame bullet in 180, or 200, or 220 grain.
Which specific weight would be determined by which of the three that my rifle printed the smallest 3 shot group at the farthest distance I intended to take game at.
In your case, it is 200 yards/meters.
And don't fuss over split-hair target grade accuracy.
If you can hit a soda pop can or typical coffee cup with your rifle/hunting load every time, you should have no problem in Africa.

Buy or make some sticks similar to what your PH will be carrying, then practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Practicing off sticks is very important. I can't stress that enough. BTW, very good advise from Velo Dog.

forget hornady sst they are explosive and only suited for vermin. As others said bring the gun you shoot best off sticks and are most comfortable shooting. they will all work with good quality bullets

I used a cheap rem 783 in 7mm mag with 160gr swift A-frames and one shot kills on a very large zebra and BWB

If you are reaching out a long ways very heavy bullets will necessitate you accurately measuring distance and dialing in the drop

All your calibers will work with the correct bullet placement and quality bullets like Swift , Barnes as well as others .

Bring your rifle that you are most accurate with , your PH will most appreciate that !

What Larry said. +1

The 168 in TTSX is perfect combination in speed & performance/weight.... Just look at the ballistics. Perfect.....

Take your 7 Mag it will do a great job. 30-06 is good if you have close shots but who knows if you'll get the PH that says shoot every time at 300 yards. You must know, especially if this is your last shot at Safari, that more gun is always better in the Dark Continent. I wish you the greatest of adventures and greatly anticipate your hunt report!
Regards,
Philip

Not sure where you are hunting, but this summer I am in the Kalahari, my outfitter suggested I bring my 375. He said there is lots of brush and need a round that won't be turned easy. His other suggestion was an 300 WM for distance. He really did not have a bullet recommendation. I am taking Norma rounds in both woodleigh and oryx. Based on what you have, I would take the 30.06 and if two guns the 7mm too.

I took a blue wildebeest and a gemsbuck with my 7mm mag 160 grain tsx bt. Performed flawlessly. Use that or the 30.06 with 180-200 grains and your good to go. Whichever you shoot better.

If it was me and I had your options I would take the Vanguard in 7mm Rem mag shooting a premium bullet. While the 06 will get the job done you may need to reach out just a little bit further than it will shoot accurately.

A friend of mine took his 7mm Rem mag to South Africa last year and took all of his game animals with it including a blue wildebeast with no problems other than he had a hard time hitting a springbuck , but then that is another story.

What Velo Dog said will serve you well.

But to answer your specific questions.
1. Maybe, but why chance it. The usual advice is for a tough bonded bullet or a monometal such as TSX, TTSX, or GMX.

2. The advice on An A Frame is very sound. If you want to reach farther and lessen recoil, even a 150 grain such as Hornady GMX or a TSX. But for brush busting, hard to beat a heavier A Frame. Others would be a factory load with 180 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, or a 180 grain Accubond. I've seen all the above perform well on large tough African PG.

3. I would think a well placed Partition should do the job.

From your discussion, it sounds like you prefer to leave the 7 MM Rem mag home, and I'll bet with a brake on it, your PH would concur. Hard to find a PH would is not happy with a client carrying a 30-06 he shoots well. And in the bush that 20" barrel may be more advantage than hindrance. Why not just go middle of the road and take the 30-06 with a good 165 to 180 grain bullet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!