Ammo case

You do need to worry about the weight. International rules are max 5 kg = 11 lbs of ammo. If case plus ammo is greater than that you will have a problem. Technically it’s ammo only, but you can’t always expect to find someone that will treat is as that. Buy a small Pelican or SKB crush proof case. You’ll have it forever. You can fly to Africa with ammo in your bag, but nearly all internal flights you will be made to check ammo separately. They will just put a bag tag on like any other piece of luggage. Make sure anything you buy will hold up to
Agreed
 
Hey guys, after getting to South Africa and overnighting then heading to Zimbabwe next afternoon i understand you can’t pack the ammo in your luggage like you did going there it has to be in a separate case,
What case are you guys using (for sure I won’t be using TSA looks) and wat experience bad or good did you have,
Thanks
Mike
Technically you should be able to leave ammo in the suitcase on all international flights. In Southern Africa many airlines like Airlink (which is excellent by the way) treat all these flights as regional domestic flights and want the ammo box checked separately. They are not supposed to charge you extra for it so watch that.
Pelican 1200 for PG safaris and the 1300 for DG safaris. Anything else is likely to be a disappointment or disaster. 20 something safaris and counting and these just work. The lock type does not matter as they are likely to get broken so take extras.

Pro tip: on arrival your ammo box becomes your safety deposit box for all valuables.


1759146530960.jpeg
 
Pro tip: on arrival your ammo box becomes your safety deposit box for all valuables.
I drilled the lock holes on our 1200 a little bigger so the locks for our rifle case also fit the ammo box for this exact reason.
 
I drilled the lock holes on our 1200 a little bigger so the locks for our rifle case also fit the ammo box for this exact reason.
Good idea. Then just use the same locks on everything. I've tried to save weight by using very lightweight locks on the ammo case. It's usually ok but you know they can get broken.
 
Good idea. Then just use the same locks on everything. I've tried to save weight by using very lightweight locks on the ammo case. It's usually ok but you know they can get broken.
I’m easily below weight with 40 cartridges of 375H&H, but I imagine your 470NE would be pushing it.
 
Technically you should be able to leave ammo in the suitcase on all international flights. In Southern Africa many airlines like Airlink (which is excellent by the way) treat all these flights as regional domestic flights and want the ammo box checked separately. They are not supposed to charge you extra for it so watch that.
Pelican 1200 for PG safaris and the 1300 for DG safaris. Anything else is likely to be a disappointment or disaster. 20 something safaris and counting and these just work. The lock type does not matter as they are likely to get broken so take extras.

Pro tip: on arrival your ammo box becomes your safety deposit box for all valuables.


View attachment 716929
thanks so much
 
I use a pelican 1200 with TSA locks. Never a problem.
 
I’m easily below weight with 40 cartridges of 375H&H, but I imagine your 470NE would be pushing it.
I always take my big bore now 450 NE and a smaller caliber now 275 Rigby. I take 80 total cartridges mixed between the two and still come in below 11 pounds. I can’t do that with my heavier pelican ammo case thus the very light but hard plastic ammo case. About a third of the pelican weight. just me
 
do you leave the ammo there when your returning home or do you bring it with you?
I don't come home with ammo, but all I usually take is 375H&H. I'll leave it with the PH or someone else. Everyone has a 375... :cool:
 
do you leave the ammo there when your returning home or do you bring it with you?
If you leave with zero ammo from Zimbabwe I’d anticipate a problem. There will be 5 or 6 people in a small room asking you questions, taking photos, and one fills out paperwork.
 
My plan is to get Harbor Freight ammo cans for holding large amounts of ammo. I'll also get some more MTM boxes. I figure I can move ammo to the grid boxes when I shoot, and that way it will be easier to keep count.
I would NOT use the HF ammo cans if checking separate.

I would use the HF Pelican copy “Apache” as an ammo case with some sort of ammo specific boxes inside, MTM slip cases, factory types etc

I have been using the Apache case that would typically used for ammo in construction industry for my laser levels and they get used hard and i also own pelican.Impressed by the Apache.
do you leave the ammo there when your returning home or do you bring it with you?
I take a 375, which is desirable for a PH in most cases, typically for a client loaner gun.

So I have been taking 60 rounds, and I come back with a box of 20 just for the reason above, you'll have a check by several folks in one room asking about ammo counts. I leave anything else not used. I don't shoot much on DG hunts so there's always some left over.
 
My bad, you are correct!
In May, flying a ticket booked through Alaska Air but the international on Qatar, when checking my rifle and ammo in at the Qatar counter, they had me remove my Pelican 1200 case from my checked bag, and then wanted to see inside, which I was happy to accommodate, they weighed the whole thing, gave it back and packed it back in my bag while they got their paperwork together.

When the young lady had her supervisor review and before giving me their declaration, the supervisor instructed her to get the weight on the ammo, not ammo and the case. So I had to pull it all back out again for them to weigh it without the case, even though it was just under the 5kg with the case. The supervisor said I could bring 5kg of ammo, even if the case put it over that amount. Think the smart thing is to not exceed both ammo+case since each airline and each supervisor may have a different interpretation.
 
Here is mine made by Plano that weighs less than a third of a pelican
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
Have folks had any issues with ammo inside the locked case being stored in the generic brown plastic MTM ammo wallets, those like hip pocket holders that will hold usually like 8-12 rounds? I prefer to put ammo into a factory cardboard case, but for things like a 505 Gibbs? Didn't know if generic plastic inner case causes additional scrutiny.
 
Have folks had any issues with ammo inside the locked case being stored in the generic brown plastic MTM ammo wallets, those like hip pocket holders that will hold usually like 8-12 rounds? I prefer to put ammo into a factory cardboard case, but for things like a 505 Gibbs? Didn't know if generic plastic inner case causes additional scrutiny.
I think it states “in the original packaging” I always keep empty boxes just for this reason if traveling with reloads.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,243
Members
169,306
Latest member
darrickhoppe
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top