American charged with subversion in Zimbabwe

I personally try to avoid countries with dictatorships. It ain't Kansas anymore.

The freedoms we enjoy as Americans end when we leave the country. If she has been working for a media outlet in Zimbabwe then she was fully aware of the laws and the implications of her actions.

The freedoms we enjoy as Americans end when we leave the country. If she has been working for a media outlet in Zimbabwe then she was fully aware of the laws and the implications of her actions.

Individual responsibility !! ??”
How outrageous.
Mr. Therack, you must have been born in 17 or 1800’s.

Most of the republicans also....

Seeing how Americans talk about there leaders; be it a republican or democrat, how would you expect young folks to learn how to behave?
True. For all the nasty things I said about Obama, I would be in prison for the next 100 lifetimes.

First . . . The topic was about Zimbabwe and not "a lot of states in Africa".
Second, . . . I've hunted in Zimbabwe and visited friends there on many occasions for 29 years now. And even though I do think Robert Mugabe is a cruel and brutal despot I'm not so stupid as to voice that opinion publicly while there.

If there is anyone who makes Zimbabwe look bad it is Robert Mugabe himself.

Absolutely correct!

I never talk politics, or criticize my host country when I’m out of the US.

I don't foresee her getting a prison sentence. She will probably be expelled from the country after a written and published apology.

What bothers me is that these regimes sometimes use these young prisoners as a proxy to vent their anti-american anger. But, I hope your correct.

My 2 cents, on what will happen. (1) expelled and nothing more (2) tried and convicted and sentenced to time, huge public outrage and will be cut loose for humanitarian reasons. Uncle Bob is not going to do anything that cuts off the flow of his money from the USA to Switzerland.

In other matters, theses children have not been taught to behave in other folks homes. They take for granted the crap that you can get away with in the USA and then go to a another county and think "I am an American and nothing will happen."

I hope she gets out of this soon, but yes, she is very stupid.

In a dictatorship, you can´t behave the same way as in a democratic country.

Respectfully disagree. At what age does one become responsible for their own actions? It's a major problem in the United States. Keep giving everyone a break, including lifelong criminals, with the hope that they shape up, trying to save everyone from themselves, and trying to please everyone on every issue. She never learned you don't mess with a junkyard dog? Well that's just too damn bad. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

How do you propose we deal with the criminals? Jail them, do you realize that there are not enough prisons and jails to hold everyone. Who's is going to pay for all that bed space? You and me, and it would be expensive. That's why they keep getting "breaks." And another thing "Time Out" does not work. I have folks every week that would just rather take the "3 hots and a cot" then be on probation or worst in-patient treatment.

Last edited:
All I can say is silly Bitch!

You guys need to take it easy. She’s a kid and she’s not wrong. The bad guy here is the one in the funny looking blazer and hat.

You guys need to take it easy. She’s a kid and she’s not wrong. The bad guy here is the one in the funny looking blazer and hat.

suggest you dont say that out loud in zim as you will be a guest of mugabe and wife.

suggest you dont say that out loud in zim as you will be a guest of mugabe and wife.

Won’t be hunting there. I did so in 1995, but I won’t be back until he’s gone.

A person can also be blacklisted from entering a country by saying derogatory things about the leadership. Even if those words were spoken somewhere else. Social media can be a double edged sword.

How do you propose we deal with the criminals? Jail them, do you realize that there are not enough prisons and jails to hold everyone. Who's is going to pay for all that bed space? You and me, and it would be expensive. That's why they keep getting "breaks." And another thing "Time Out" does not work. I have folks every week that would just rather take the "3 hots and a cot" then be on probation or worst in-patient treatment.

Repeat offenders should be locked up for life. They're sociopaths and no amount of jail, rehabilitation or money will change them. Lock them up and throw away the key. Maryland recently had a triple murder by a 15 time felon who was previously caught with a firearm IN MARYLAND and plea bargained to go back on the street and eventually kill three people and tried to kill another in Delaware. The same people keep committing crime over and over again. Take these people, lock them up for life, no plea bargains and watch crime drop dramatically. If it takes more jails, stop giving money to Mugabe and the rest of his ilk and build prisons.

Repeat offenders should be locked up for life. They're sociopaths and no amount of jail, rehabilitation or money will change them. Lock them up and throw away the key. Maryland recently had a triple murder by a 15 time felon who was previously caught with a firearm IN MARYLAND and plea bargained to go back on the street and eventually kill three people and tried to kill another in Delaware. The same people keep committing crime over and over again. Take these people, lock them up for life, no plea bargains and watch crime drop dramatically. If it takes more jails, stop giving money to Mugabe and the rest of his ilk and build prisons.

While I can't opine about the "throw away the key," because I have to consider the "full range of punishment" in every case.

I can talk about the costs. In my inexpensive labor state. The daily cost to house a prisoner in my county's jail is $110 per day. I don't know the Prison Systems costs. We currently have 4,200 prisoners locked up, for a total daily cost of $462,000 which is a yearly cost of $168,630,000! And have about another 100 housed in other counties.

Let's assume that cost will be static over the next 40 years. So a defendant that is house by the state for 40 years using the $110 cost is $1,606,000. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Didn't say she was wrong @brettp . But if you read the article it indicates she is an activist reporter in a foreign land. Says to me she is off on some crusade. When you travel overseas you better remember your not in Kansas anymore and as such what you do and say is subject to the laws of another country.
For instance they have speech laws in many countries that could land some of us in trouble.
Finally, if she is overseas as a reporter she isn't a kid anymore. She is an adult working her trade and she should be informed.

Won’t be hunting there. I did so in 1995, but I won’t be back until he’s gone.
his wife will be worst,unless she get whacked,yea,yea.

I don't think we need to call her names, but I do agree with those who have said she needs to accept responsibility for her actions.

It seems like simple (un?)common sense to me: you are in a foreign country, you are a guest, and no matter how bad the local government is, it's not your place to break local laws. Being from a first world country is no excuse, not should it guarantee immunity.

And as far as getting the diplomats going, @Pheroze, that's a nice thought, but what would you do about Zimbabweans caught in the same predicament? Leave them to their own devices? Why should someone from the first world get favoured treatment just because of a lucky accident of birth?

Having said all of that, I can't begin to imagine what the inside of a Zimbabwean jail must be like. I know what the outside of a Zimbabwean jail looks like, and it's pretty ugly if you don't have an independent source of US$. I do not plan on educating myself on the difference.

And as far as getting the diplomats going, @Pheroze, that's a nice thought, but what would you do about Zimbabweans caught in the same predicament? Leave them to their own devices? Why should someone from the first world get favoured treatment just because of a lucky accident of birth?

I absolutely do believe we give priority to our own. Democratic freedoms are very hard to maintain, harder than countries with dictatorships and repression. If we don't look after our own we weaken ourselves.

I also look at the recent economic literature that shows international aid only facilitates the corruption and repression, it's doesn't help. So, yes, we give us priority.

As an aside, my wife is giving me the gears about being on my phone constantly. I have patiently explained that we are resolving the world's problems, but she seems unmoved. Go figure....I have to mix a martini apparently. Talk soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg