Am I an Africa snob? 1923 (Yellowstone) series

Jason Miller

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I have been reading African History, Hunting, Exploration, Missionary tales for 30 years, I just returned from my 31st trip to Africa and have traveled and worked there for 25 years. I am not bragging but find myself being critical of just about anything regarding the portrayal of Africa especially in period films.

In the 1923 Series (Yellowstone) they went to great lengths to portray and very special time in Africa, the safari scenes are very well done as the period clothing, even the rifle Spencer Dutton shoots is awesome. But I cringe every time I see the scenes with his African trackers or hunting partners. They are supposed to be representing East Africa (Brish East) to be exact and the natives are carrying lame tourist Zulu cow shields and spears. My wife is tired of me bitching about it.. :) I know this was partially filmed in South Africa but I have never seen a zulu shield in Kenya/Tanzania. Could they not have used Wakamba or Maasai buffalo shields and spears ..

Ok, I know I am an Africa snob...

I have been reading African History, Hunting, Exploration, Missionary tales for 30 years, I just returned from my 31st trip to Africa and have traveled and worked there for 25 years. I am not bragging but find myself being critical of just about anything regarding the portrayal of Africa especially in period films.

In the 1923 Series (Yellowstone) they went to great lengths to portray and very special time in Africa, the safari scenes are very well done as the period clothing, even the rifle Spencer Dutton shoots is awesome. But I cringe every time I see the scenes with his African trackers or hunting partners. They are supposed to be representing East Africa (Brish East) to be exact and the natives are carrying lame tourist Zulu cow shields and spears. My wife is tired of me bitching about it.. :) I know this was partially filmed in South Africa but I have never seen a zulu shield in Kenya/Tanzania. Could they not have used Wakamba or Maasai buffalo shields and spears ..

Ok, I know I am an Africa snob...
Anyone expecting historical accuracy to that level in a TV show is always going to be disappointed.

I loved the show and didnt notice the shields nor would I care.

My wife loves all yellow stone so I watched. All I was interested in was the double. She thought I was crazy when I would pause and try and get a better look at the rifle.

Anyone expecting historical accuracy to that level in a TV show is always going to be disappointed.

I loved the show and didnt notice the shields nor would I care.
Overall they did a great job, even referencing the Tsavo Maneaters. The tents, safari vehicles, clothing everything was spot on.. and at 35 million an episode they should have asked someone how to represent the tribal people of the time correctly. JMHO

Remember the old westerns where they didn’t even use real Indians? They have come a long way!

Overall they did a great job, even referencing the Tsavo Maneaters. The tents, safari vehicles, clothing everything was spot on.. and at 35 million an episode they should have asked someone how to represent the tribal people of the time correctly. JMHO
There may have actually been tribal matters involved here. Maybe whatever tribes were being used for footage didnt want to carry some other tribes shields.
And since 99.9 percent of viewers dont know or care, they acquiesced.

My wife’s accuracy complaint was Dutton’s blond girlfriend then wife coming out of the tent every morning with her hair and makeup. And sparking, pressed clothes. Towards the end of the season she finally got some dirt on her clothes :>))))

It was nice to see all the cotton and leather. With doubles and bolt rifles

I was in Mombasa in 1980 well after the hay day obviously. But it still had that vibe

Last edited:
My wife’s accuracy complaint was Dutton’s blond girlfriend then wife coming out of the tent every morning with her hair and makeup. And sparking, pressed clothes. Towards the end of the season she finally got some dirt on her clothes :>))))

It was nice to see all the cotton and leather. With doubles and bolt rifles

I was in Mombasa in 1980 well after the hay day obviously. But it still had that vibe
I feel kinda silly walking out to the mornings hunt in pressed clothes that the camp staff has taken care of. My hunting clothes are always better taken care of on safari than at home. Only seen an episode or two of the 1923 series and thought it was pretty good.

35 Million? Holy Smokes!

I liked the show very much, and while I didnt get too excited about some of the inaccuracies, the stuff about them being out on the ocean in some little square sterned tugboat, and being run over by a supposed ghost ship that appeared to be anchored were a bit beyond the pale for me, mostly because that is my background.
I do look forward to a second season of it though.

I was wondering what rifle Spencer was carrying. Seems like he never lost it through ship sinking, etc. etc. What was he carrying???

In another thread, I believe it was determined to be a Sabatti.

I know what he was carrying in WW1. A Winchester Model 1897

Maybe an expert can tell us what brand he’s holding.

Looks like a rimless caliber :>)))))
IMG_1997.jpeg

The 1883 series is even more incorrect regarding the setting, and the period of westward expansion. Yes, we are snobs........in a good way, I think.........every time I see a Mod 94 Win used in an 1880 cowboy setting, a Colt SAA used in the Civil War, etc I cringe.......I marvel that a $100 million movie can't spend a thousand bucks to consult with an expert.......but why would they? Hollywood people already know everything.......FWB

The worst is 1883. How many people died on that trail? Way over done and ridiculous. People died like flies on that show. Both sides of my family homesteaded in the 1880s in the Dakotas.

As for the main series, Yellowstone, love it but one thing that I saw was the horrible fences they sometimes work on. No self-respecting rancher would have fences so crappy. Just loose wire and t-posts? No H braces to pull wire tight to? No wood posts every so often between t-posts? No fence stretchers or fencing pliers? Come on Taylor! Don’t you own the 6666 Ranch in real life?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhOKVIP

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.