Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Benefactor
Hunted
Limpopo, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
What is the double rifle used in the TV Series "1923" by the character Spenser Dutton?

1676722841253.png

The bores look fairly small in this photo
1676722201327.png

The action has "coin finish" and bolsters.
In Season 1, Episode 1 at the time of 2:10 one can see the rifle appears to be a Sabatti much like this one.
1676723780620.png

What say ye?

Last edited:
Despite using a modern double in this series, I really like how much in the screenplay and acting that the double rifle is a part of the character Spenser Dutton. Much like how our favorite rifles are a part of us.

Once again, the producer Taylor Sheridan gets it right!

I haven’t convinced myself to try out any of the Yellowstone series. For many reasons. Am I missing out?

Yellowstone
Tulsa King

Almost anything produced by Taylor Sheridan is definitely worth watching!

This thread stirred up something from long ago...

The Rifleman's Creed (also known as My Rifle and The Creed of the United States Marine) is a part of basic United States Marine Corps doctrine. Major General William H. Rupertus wrote it during World War II following the attack on Pearl Harbor between late 1941 and early 1942, but its first publication was in San Diego in the Marine Corps Chevron on March 14, 1942. His reasoning for writing the Creed is believed to be that he felt that his men had to understand the concept "that the only weapon which stands between them and Death is the rifle…they must understand that their rifle is their life…"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_Creed

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will ...
My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit ...
My rifle is human, even as I [am human], because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!"

How many remember reciting something like that? It seems relevant to dangerous game hunting when facing the elephant at 20 meters or a buffalo that doesn't know he's dead!

Last edited:
I haven’t convinced myself to try out any of the Yellowstone series. For many reasons. Am I missing out?
Yes! Though I should warn you, my lovely spouse now always applies the Beth Rule.

beth.jpg

I am not much of a TV watcher (don't have cable), didn't even watch the Super bowl. I was able to stream the first two episodes before getting bored. To me it seemed like "Dallas" repackaged.

I couldn't do but about one minute of the first episode of Yellowstone and haven't be interested in it since, but 1923 has me intrigued.

I haven’t watched all of it, but it is very dramatic, almost soap opera level to me. To be honest I’m not sure I even like it, but that sure doesn’t stop me from watching it.

Yes! Though I should warn you, my lovely spouse now always applies the Beth Rule.

View attachment 518048
Joe;
Speaking from personal experience, you need to tread very cautiously when using "Let's put the crazy away Beth". It seems to be safe to use after the crazy has subsided but definitely not during.

My lovely bride has decided that she and Beth would be Best Buds.

Even though i think they take the drama and lawlessness way too far, my spouse firmly believes that such retribution as often applied can never go too far;)

We find it very entertaining and are anxiously awaiting the next episodes:)

Joe;
Speaking from personal experience, you need to tread very cautiously when using "Let's put the crazy away Beth". It seems to be safe to use after the crazy has subsided but definitely not during.

Even though i think they take the drama and lawlessness way too far, my spouse firmly believes that such retribution as often applied can never go too far;)

I agree with miss Gina, if were me there a lot more trips to the train station!

Joe;

Yep. I am always careful of the possibility of a train trip. :oops:

Yellowstone
Tulsa King

Almost anything produced by Taylor Sheridan is definitely worth watching!

Yellowstone, is great. Definitely “Dallas” set In Montana.
1883, nope, couldn’t get past more than 3 shows
1923, watched all so far, but jury is still out
Tulsa King, good show.

Not a Taylor Sheridan show, but Lilyhammer is a good show too.

Last edited:
What is the double rifle used in the TV Series "1923" by the character Spenser Dutton?

View attachment 518028

The bores look fairly small in this photo
View attachment 518025

The action has "coin finish" and bolsters.
In Season 1, Episode 1 at the time of 2:10 one can see the rifle appears to be a Sabatti much like this one.
View attachment 518029

What say ye?

It looked like a Merkel to me based on the shape of the buttstock to the receiver.

Image1676847186.753761.jpg

We watch Yellowstone and enjoy it although we take it with a very large grain of salt as I grew up in the ranch/rodeo culture, plus we know a bunch of cattle ranchers/horse trainers in Montana including a real live stock detective, he hasn't been involved in any shootouts let alone one a day like they seem to have on Yellowstone.

Tried to watch 1883 but it was lousy IMO her narration made it a bad romance novel, plus too many historical inaccuracies most egregious was a Texas Cowboy wearing angora chaps in July just outside of Fort Worth, talk about WRONG! Boy would die of heat stroke. besides who wants to watch Sam Elliott cry???

We are still trying to decide on 1923 but so far like it. I really enjoy Tulsa King, Stallone is excellent and the storyline so far has been pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusM4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you