Allure of the Ruger No1

OK, I’d like to hear how folks have solved the scope positioning challenge presented by No1’s. Most No1’s I have handled require the shooter to crawl the stock to get a proper sight picture.

The best solution I have found is the Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 EE. The straight tube and long eye relief allow for perfect alignment. This is the scope I have mounted on my .275.

The Leupold VX3 lineup also have good eye relief, albeit not as good as the Z6 EE, and a definite step down in quality.
WAB

Since my rifle was being built to my specs with custom scope blocks we moved the fron scope mount back a bit (1/2"). Still the S&B 2.5 - 10 X 40 would not quite work. Ended up with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40, which works fine. It is a challenge.

OK, I’d like to hear how folks have solved the scope positioning challenge presented by No1’s. Most No1’s I have handled require the shooter to crawl the stock to get a proper sight picture
AimPoint Hunter 30L, or better yet forget the scope.

#1v a gift from my wife in 82. This is a photo of a photo of a much younger me north of Buffalo Wyoming in 84. I haven’t used it in years, I hunt Kansas whitetails with an Orberndorf Mauser 8x57.
Mike
DDA07A35-D1A7-44EC-808D-0137CA7A8490.jpeg

Sure! I bought it last year. I was looking for a NIB Number 1 in 300 H&H. Amazingly, I found one. I bought a semi-inlet stock set and did the finishing myself. I’m really happy with how well it turned out. I finished it off with a New England Custom Gun recoil pad in red (of course.) It shoots 180 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks into 1 inch groups or less. I’m as pleased with this gun as any in the safe. Hopefully, that dog will hunt. I’ll know soon.
It is beautiful Doug, and of course it will do you proud in Africa.

The way I have solved the No1 scope problem is listen to the experts here on AH, being @WAB snd @rookhawk in this case. They directed me to the Searovski 1-6x25 EE and the search began. Answer to prayers literally a day later and @Dirtdart advertised one and I snapped it up. So when my new No1 arrives the scope should be waiting for it.
Going forward I reckon if enough of us petition Swarovski they may just bring the EE back into production.

I wasn't familiar with the No. 1's until a group of gentlemen friends (all my father's age or a little more, but still cherished friends) went elk hunting. And to a man, they carried No.1's. When I heard the stories, I started looking. One of them will swear he can run the action on his 1 as fast or faster than a bolt gun. And I believe him.

I currently have a No. 1 in .30-06 I bought specifically to take to Africa for plains game. And I've seriously considered getting a DG caliber No.1.

Does anyone have the Craig Boddington 5-gun African Series of No. 1's? Saw a couple full sets for sale. Would be amazing to have.
Hi PeteyJ, did you ever hunt Africa with your No1 30-06? Any pictures?

Please refresh my memory, was the largest No1 the factory made the 458 Lott?

Lookie here:

I had no idea H&H used a Ruger No 1 action. Probably a one-off but sure looks nice.
Does anyone know if Holland and Holland made any more No 1's, but in other calibres please?

Does anyone know if Holland and Holland made any more No 1's, but in other calibres please?

Oh this is a dangerous bunny trail you are embarking upon Kevin!

Kev

Better than a H&H would be a custom rifle by a top builder. IMO, at least. You'll get everything you want and nothing you don't for a better price.

I have found that scopes with good (long) eye relief work best on Ruger No. 1's. I couldn't make a number of scopes work on mine and ended up with a Leupold 3.5 - 10X 36. It's a light 25-'06 and a bigger scope (S&B 2-10X Summit) just wasn't working. I'm shooting 0.5" groups with a Brux 25" barrel. Rifle weighs about 7-1/2 lbs.

Kev

Better than a H&H would be a custom rifle by a top builder. IMO, at least. You'll get everything you want and nothing you don't for a better price.

I have found that scopes with good (long) eye relief work best on Ruger No. 1's. I couldn't make a number of scopes work on mine and ended up with a Leupold 3.5 - 10X 36. It's a light 25-'06 and a bigger scope (S&B 2-10X Summit) just wasn't working. I'm shooting 0.5" groups with a Brux 25" barrel. Rifle weighs about 7-1/2 lbs.

You make a great point, @RedLeg occasionally posts pictures of the most beautiful single shot I have ever seen. I doubt that a No1 could be dolled up enough to match it.

Kev

Ah Mike, but once you have seen the Melania of rifles and know it exists, you are hooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross