Allure of the Ruger No1

My buddy who bought my Ruger No1 Tropical in 375H&H won our big bore shooting competition with it on Sunday, full house. This is a speed shoot too and the No1 was quicker than even the slickest of our bolt rifle guys, it is a 6 shot event and they have to reload after the first three.

My next trip my niece is talking about buffalo. I’m thinking my no1 in 450.400 and me with my no1 in 470.
Both stout recoilers, but great choice. A Ruger No1 with a good DG scope in those calibres means the chance of a fatal first shot, and that is what a single shot is all about.

My buddy who bought my Ruger No1 Tropical in 375H&H won our big bore shooting competition with it on Sunday, full house. This is a speed shoot too and the No1 was quicker than even the slickest of our bolt rifle guys, it is a 6 shot event and they have to reload after the first three.
The .375 H&H is slicker than goose :A Shit: to reload. Not surprised at all. I was shocked on a recent hunt that I found my rifle reloaded with the spent brass in my pocket while following up on a shot. That was a new one. There was no conscious effort required.
My next trip my niece is talking about buffalo. I’m thinking my no1 in 450.400 and me with my no1 in 470.
I would look at reload practice especially with the loads you intend to hunt with. I have some blunt nosed rounds in the .458 Lott that I practice with and hunt light skinned animals that just don't drop as fast as the big bullets. Therefore I always follow on with the 500 grain round nosed or Nosler partitions which are even quicker.

With a little practice, the #1 is really not that slow to reload. I wear a two ctg. Elastic wristband & carry two rounds (one on each side of the bbl ) held by a 3” wide piece of bicycle inner tube up under the objective bell of the rifle scope.

With a little practice, the #1 is really not that slow to reload. I wear a two ctg. Elastic wristband & carry two rounds (one on each side of the bbl ) held by a 3” wide piece of bicycle inner tube up under the objective bell of the rifle scope.
Pictures please.

Clearly wasn't a R8 at the shoot! :cool:

I am getting quite quick with my double too, just can't shoot straight yet, but I predict a double could beat the bolt guns because they have to reload half way through. Three rounds at a time.

I am getting quite quick with my double too, just can't shoot straight yet, but I predict a double could beat the bolt guns because they have to reload half way through. Three rounds at a time.
Most bolt guns don't have as good a plan for reloading nor as much time spent reloading in a hurry.

Hi Kevin. Yes it is a limited edition and sold only through Lipsey’s. They are a wholesaler in the US. My guess is that they only distribute to US dealers.

I have one from the last run they did. Lovely gun and absolute tack driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg