Allure of the Ruger No1

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I’m on the horns of that dilemma right now. Do I rebarrel a #1 from 9.3x62 to 7x57 and oil finish the stock, OR, sell a few things and buy a Dakota M10 in 7x57?

In that vein, who would you guys trust to rebarrel a No1?

definitely just buy the Dakota. Rebarreling and cutting the extractor isn’t trivial. And then are you planning on building a bee quarter rib so you can use Talley rings? And install front and rear sights? $$$$$
Or if you’re a man of great faith, you can pray they bust the quarter rib off that is green loctite installed. If they don’t mangle it you might be able to reuse it replicating the flaws of the original #1?

better things in life to spend $1000-$1500 or more on than this endeavor, especially since you don’t get to keep the original number 1 in the process. The solution is always add more guns!

Bonk

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA
I’m on the horns of that dilemma right now. Do I rebarrel a #1 from 9.3x62 to 7x57 and oil finish the stock, OR, sell a few things and buy a Dakota M10 in 7x57?

In that vein, who would you guys trust to rebarrel a No1?
WAB, I have a #1 275 Rigby I might be willing to part with. PM if you're interested.

Reactions: WAB

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
WAB, I have a #1 275 Rigby I might be willing to part with. PM if you're interested.

Thanks but I need to thin the herd. The 9.3 has to go first, either through conversion or sale. I tend to think Rookhawk is right, shame to mess with a No1 that shoots 1/2” groups!

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Well, I decided to take a gamble on another Ruger #1. This one was on Gun Broker recently and I decided to give it a go. 300 Win Mag, Serial # has it from 1977, but the wood and carving/checkering is definitely a custom job. I need to see how it shoots. I'm hoping anyone who put the money in it for that kind of wood treated it well. We shall see.

View attachment 376223View attachment 376224View attachment 376225View attachment 376226View attachment 376227
Unusual but nice Ryan. How is the recoil with the different stock? What scope will you be mounting?

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
Unusual but nice Ryan. How is the recoil with the different stock? What scope will you be mounting?
I don't know how the recoil is yet, I'm waiting for the scope to shoot it. I have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X 40 mm on order for it.

And since the local temperatures were hovering in the single digits (Farenheit) this past week I wasn't real anxious to head to the range anyway.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ToryBrumba

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.