Allure of the Ruger No1

For a mate Forrest, for a mate.
Let me introduce you to some new words:

Borrow: when you don't have something and you are temporarily granted the use of it by another.

Lend: when you are a magnanimous and otherwise unfathomably awesome person and you temporarily grant the use of something to another.

Sell: when you forever part with something for monetary exchange.

Seller's Remorse: the inescapable and unquenchable void in the pit of your stomach that keeps you up nights and wakes you from a sound sleep in a cold sweat because you sold your .375 H&H #1 instead of lending it. :LOL:

You’re cracking me up Forrest!

Kevin, might I suggest that you fill the void left by the .375 with a No 1 in .275 or .303? I love my No 1 in .275 (Thanks @Bonk!). One would make a great complement to your double gun.

Let me introduce you to some new words:

::::

Seller's Remorse: the inescapable and unquenchable void in the pit of your stomach that keeps you up nights and wakes you from a sound sleep in a cold sweat because you sold your .375 H&H #1 instead of lending it. :LOL:

We call it a nightmare.....

:cool:

HWL

Bought my .375 4 years ago at the local shop. Was a trade in…$800cdn for the bare rifle, I love my local gun shop! I really like it but I’m not attached to it yet…haven’t hunted with it so far . Used my CZ550 for my first Buffalo hunt instead. This .375 is waiting for my next local moose hunt which should be in 2022 if I get the draw license. I know it’ll be a joy to carry this short rifle through the woods !!
5AC4D99C-2107-4C6F-8599-847C9C36E9C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Already posted this on another thread but this also feels like a good home. My customized No.1 in 450/400 NE. Handles like a dream and easy to carry all day. Shoots well with 400 gr Swift A-frame handloads. Minute of meatball out to 100 yards with iron sights off sticks for me. Better groups off a bench, but I prefer to practice hunting scenarios. Also, that practice improves my accuracy. I would feel confident on buffalo with this gun/load and PH backup.

Have taken an eland and blue wildebeest so far. It will return to Africa with me again.
20210523_111948.jpg
20210527_094146.jpg

Already posted this on another thread but this also feels like a good home. My customized No.1 in 450/400 NE. Handles like a dream and easy to carry all day. Shoots well with 400 gr Swift A-frame handloads. Minute of meatball out to 100 yards with iron sights off sticks for me. Better groups off a bench, but I prefer to practice hunting scenarios. Also, that practice improves my accuracy. I would feel confident on buffalo with this gun/load and PH backup.

Have taken an eland and blue wildebeest so far. It will return to Africa with me again.
View attachment 416199View attachment 416198
Wowsers! Now that's a great looking rifle. Just what I have in mind for my 303 British....eventually. Who did the wood and metal?

Wowsers! Now that's a great looking rifle. Just what I have in mind for my 303 British....eventually. Who did the wood and metal?

MJ Tulo out of Lakewood, CO (outside Denver) did the stock and blue work. He kept the classic English lines and it is a striking piece of dark wood. I bought it as a complete gun from the owner that customized it.

This would be a nice look for a 303 British or 300 H&H too.

MJ Tulo out of Lakewood, CO (outside Denver) did the stock and blue work. He kept the classic English lines and it is a striking piece of dark wood. I bought it as a complete gun from the owner that customized it.

This would be a nice look for a 303 British or 300 H&H too.
I agree! Thanks aTex.

View attachment 416199View attachment 416198
Gosh that is gorgeous! Of course it will take a buff.

This whole thread is making me want to pick this one up. A .270 win used in excellent condition for 1150€

IMG_4022.png

They also have a .243 and a .300winmag

This whole thread is making me want to pick this one up. A .270 win used in excellent condition for 1150€

View attachment 416247

The .270 is a very accurate caliber. I have never owned one, but fired a few and was darned impressed. I would pick the one of those three rifles with the best wood.

View attachment 416247

Beautiful rifle! Don't buy the 243, or someone who their screen name ends with a 35, will give you sh*t for doing it. LMAO!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle! Don't buy the 243, or someone whO their screen name starts with a 35, will give you sh*t for doing it. LMAO!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Luckily I’m no fan of the .243… ;)

At least not for anything bigger than a fox, I’ve seen way too many “it’s all about shot placement” injuring animals never to be retrieved.

I don't own one currently, but I have owned and hunted with a 243. I shot a number of whitetails with it. I use good bullets (not premium stuff like A-frames or TSXs...just good quality bullets) and was able to hit the vitals each time. Every one of those deer died just as they would had they been hit in the vitals with a 30 cal or larger. They ran 20 to 50 yards and died. Obviously, it's not my favorite caliber, or I'd own and hunt with one. But I just don't understand the shade that gets cast on the old 243. Maybe because it's supposedly a "dual purpose" round, people have used varmint bullets on big game? Dunno. I should mention that I've never shot a whitetail deer with any rifle that was more than 100 yards away....I'd say my average is more like 50 yards. Open country Muley's are a different story. I can see why a 243 might not be up to the kind of shots necessary out West. Bigger animals like Elk and Moose are straight out. No question.

View attachment 416247

You have my permission to make the purchase :) My vote would be the .270 or .300 - would make an excellent stalking rifle.

I also don't get the lack of love for a .243. I've shot many large whitetail with it and never had any issues... the bigger cartridges give you more hunting applications though.

You’re cracking me up Forrest!

Kevin, might I suggest that you fill the void left by the .375 with a No 1 in .275 or .303? I love my No 1 in .275 (Thanks @Bonk!). One would make a great complement to your double gun.
We are on the same page WAB, I'll be looking.
He's a new to firearms guy and you sold him your .375? That's an interesting first step.
i mean hunting firearms, we were all in the military a very long time ago. He shot his Zebra with my No1, so not entirely brand newbie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!