Age of first African hunting trip

I’ll be 34 when we get to South Africa in June. Taking the whole family. Kids will be 9 and 10 (almost 11). Plains game for us. Looking forward to hopefully a warthog, impala, blue wildebeest, zebra, bush buck and a kudu for me and a zebra, impala, springbok package for the kids. Wanted to do half my spiral slam on this trip and I’m already thinking about a second trip for eland, Nyala, maybe buffalo.

I was 22, my father had passed away from a heart attack in late 1985 and it made me realize, if there is something you want to do in life, do it sooner than not.

That first Safari to Zim changed my life. Now, 38 years and 37 Safaris later I am richer from the friends and experiences I have made.

Go soon and go often!

JES

My first trip was in 2003 and I was 35. At that time thought I’d be paying for that trip for the rest of my life. Headed to Zim in July to hopefully get my elephant and complete my Big 5. You can never go just once. Enjoy your Safari.

29 when I took my first trip in 2013. I have gone on 5 trips now, and the deposits paid on 2 more.

45 in 2016 to the Save, Buffalo in the Save was the first animal I took in Africa, went back in 2018 to C9 in Mozambique, and had plans for 2019 that didn't work out then Covid and life has gotten in the way. I think about it multiple times a day everyday.

I was 49 in 2017, my daughter was 28. Best memories I have with her! Took my then girlfriend in 2019, she took a great Impala,her first animal ever. Went last year,got married one evening upon returning from a full day of tracking Buffalo.
Plan to return for another buffalo hunt for our 5 year wedding anniversary.

I was 41 the first time I went. Have been back a few times and about to go again and take my 71 year old dad for his first time!! :)

My first trip was in 2003 and I was 35. At that time thought I’d be paying for that trip for the rest of my life. Headed to Zim in July to hopefully get my elephant and complete my Big 5. You can never go just once. Enjoy your Safari.
congratulations!!!! I too have my quest for the big 5.

When I first went to Africa I only fantasized about one day accomplishing the Big 5. Now I only need the leopard. Good luck on completing your goal. Elephant is my favorite animal to hunt, I know you will have a great hunt.

I was 49 when my feet first touched the ground on the African continent for a cape buffalo hunt in the Save Conservancy in Zimbabwe.

I will be 44 this July when we go to South Africa for the first time, my wife and our youngest daughter 16 will be with us. My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary in Johannesburg on the day we land. We have our first grand baby due 12 days after we return. Going to be a great summer.

I was 64 but celebrated my 65th birthday in 2019. It was in Zimbabwe. Our dinner server sang happy birthday song to me and it was great!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaHo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob