Africa prices?

If you want a fair priced wild sable look into Mozambique, the prices have gone up but are still somewhat affordable.
Ive posted this picture before but thi is what kudu and gemsbok think of fences in the Northwest province of South Africa. This was on a sheep and goat ranch.
That is a great picture but that is also not a game fence. That is designed to hold goats and sheep. Game fences hold game animals.

If you hunt a large ranch in South Africa, then you are essentially hunting a larger WMA (Wildlife Management Area) than most east of the Mississippi in the US.

I saw a gemsbok run through a "high fence" like it wasn't even there.

South African hunts can (and IME, are) very much "fair chase". Just communicate your wish to your safari company, and most can "make it happen."

If not, then just use another company

Last edited:
Reality Check...For those that are looking for an 1800's/early 1900's African safari in the 2020's Good Luck.
What you mean to write is at game ranch pricing. The areas still exist. One of the most accessible areas to the average hunter is NW Namibia. It’s as close to Africa 100 years ago as I believe you will find.

Yes, Namibia is hard to beat. South Africa is a tremendous destination and I try to go every year for visiting and hunting with first timers to Africa.
However
When I brought my wife and daughter to Africa for the first time, it was to Namibia for ALL the tourist activities available in a 10 day window. We traveled with the PH and his wife and at the conclusion my family flew home. The PH and I then flew to Caprivi for a community buffalo and everyone was happy.

Once you've scratched the taxidermy itch sufficiently, you can hunt non trophy animals for so much less money, and have a terrific time in every aspect.

In my opinion, Namibia is the best value for low-fence, free-range….whatever you like to call it….plains game hunting in Africa. Adding Buffalo means hunting in the Caprivi, which is not inexpensive. For a combined Buffalo and plains game hunt, I think the best value is in the bigger Zimbabwe areas….Bubye and Save.

What you mean to write is at game ranch pricing. The areas still exist. One of the most accessible areas to the average hunter is NW Namibia. It’s as close to Africa 100 years ago as I believe you will find.
Who would you recommend for a waterberg hunt? I assume that’s much cheaper than a Caprivi hunt.

Who would you recommend for a waterberg hunt? I assume that’s much cheaper than a Caprivi hunt.
The buffalo there are actually higher priced than Caprivi, but I really think it’s the premier eland area you will find and perfect for a tracking hunt. Jamy Traut Safaris holds the concession. Their plains game pricing is on their website. I took 2 eland and a giraffe there with them in 2019, really great hunt. They had a really well priced end of season offer on the area last year.

The buffalo there are actually higher priced than Caprivi, but I really think it’s the premier eland area you will find and perfect for a tracking hunt. Jamy Traut Safaris holds the concession. Their plains game pricing is on their website. I took 2 eland and a giraffe there with them in 2019, really great hunt. They had a really well priced end of season offer on the area last year.
That’s fair. Was mainly curious about Buffalo. I’m doing a tracking hunt for eland this September.

Jamy Traut is the exclusive holder of the Waterberg Plateau concession. These can be very expensive buffalo, because the take is small and the genetics are incredible. He also has concessions in the Caprivi (where I took my first bull), the Kaokoland Tribal area (home of the Himba), and Kalahari. Simply great folks and he can tailor whatever you desire.

https://jamyhunts.com/hunts/

Jamy Traut is the exclusive holder of the Waterberg Plateau concession. These can be very expensive buffalo, because the take is small and the genetics are incredible. He also has concessions in the Caprivi (where I took my first bull), the Kaokoland Tribal area (home of the Himba), and Kalahari. Simply great folks and he can tailor whatever you desire.

https://jamyhunts.com/hunts/
Thank you!

If you want a fair priced wild sable look into Mozambique, the prices have gone up but are still somewhat affordable.
Ive posted this picture before but thi is what kudu and gemsbok think of fences in the Northwest province of South Africa. This was on a sheep and goat ranch.
Cattle fence, no issue to jump over for most of game. Gemsbuck is usually lazy, he will be running alongside, and when decide to cross he will try to pass through rather then jump over.

Animals that jump over fences: Kudu, Impala, Eland and Waterbuck
Animals that crawl underneath or through fences: Ungulates like Warthog, Bush pig, Duiker, Steenbok, Klipspringer, Gemsbok, Springbok, Sable Antelope, Red Hartebeest and Tsessebe, and the predators such as Jackals, Caracal, Cheetah, Leopard and Lion
Animals that break fences: Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino’s, Giraffe’s, Waterbuck, Eland, Blue Wildebeest and Sable antelope bulls
Animals that usually do not jump over fences: Springbok, Blesbok, Steenbok, Duiker and Oribi

South Africa has regulation about game fences, and based on species of game kept within fence, there is different technical specs required.

from internet:
Game-proof fences
The following minimum requirements
have been laid down for game-proof fences.

Group I Game: Kudu, eland, impala, waterbuck, buffalo – 2,4 m high with 21 strands.

Group II Game: Gemsbuck,(Oryx gazella), red hartebeest, gnu or wildebeest, sable antelope, zebra –
1,8 m high with 16 strands.

Group III Game: Blesbuck, bontebok, springbok, rhebuck, sable antelope, zebra – 1,8 m high with 16
strands.

Group IV: Ostriches. Although not strictly game in the true sense of the word, there are many
similar behaviour traits – 1,8 m high with six wire strands, which must be of plain
wire. For ostrich chickens, wire netting is used.

Cattle fence, no issue to jump over for most of game. Gemsbuck is usually lazy, he will be running alongside, and when decide to cross he will try to pass through rather then jump over.

Animals that jump over fences: Kudu, Impala, Eland and Waterbuck
Animals that crawl underneath or through fences: Ungulates like Warthog, Bush pig, Duiker, Steenbok, Klipspringer, Gemsbok, Springbok, Sable Antelope, Red Hartebeest and Tsessebe, and the predators such as Jackals, Caracal, Cheetah, Leopard and Lion
Animals that break fences: Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino’s, Giraffe’s, Waterbuck, Eland, Blue Wildebeest and Sable antelope bulls
Animals that usually do not jump over fences: Springbok, Blesbok, Steenbok, Duiker and Oribi

South Africa has regulation about game fences, and based on species of game kept within fence, there is different technical specs required.

from internet:
Game-proof fences
The following minimum requirements
have been laid down for game-proof fences.

Group I Game: Kudu, eland, impala, waterbuck, buffalo – 2,4 m high with 21 strands.

Group II Game: Gemsbuck,(Oryx gazella), red hartebeest, gnu or wildebeest, sable antelope, zebra –
1,8 m high with 16 strands.

Group III Game: Blesbuck, bontebok, springbok, rhebuck, sable antelope, zebra – 1,8 m high with 16
strands.

Group IV: Ostriches. Although not strictly game in the true sense of the word, there are many
similar behaviour traits – 1,8 m high with six wire strands, which must be of plain
That is some good information. I notice no mention of warthog, bushpig.

I think that the OP's question about costs may have morphed into a discussion about fences. The shipping and import costs of trophies has skyrocketed in the last few years. And this year will likely be worst. Finding a cost effective agent in any Country may require looking beyond the one recommended by your PH. There is often a symbiotic relationship there. I know hunters that have paid far more for dealing with their trophies.... (all the phases)....than the cost of the hunt............some good advice on shipping and import will help the bottom line. And although I share the high opinions expressed about Namibia......I must say that before and after the drought I saw some real changes....best of luck............FWB

Not something that should be kept in anyways. Absolute curse of a thing.

Marius, interesting comment.
What is the issue with ostriches?

Marius, interesting comment.
What is the issue with ostriches?
They will run from 2km behind you, past you, and through the herd that you are stalking. I stopped hunting an area for 2 years because of Ostriches before. When an Ostrich runs, everything runs.

@Jetjockey you can find some free range areas in RSA with more economical Plains Game trophy fees and significantly lower daily rates than Zambia. Once you add in the buffalo your pricing will jump especially if you want free range. Being in RSA you’re going to have more family activity options. I’d suggest reaching out to Andrew or Rad with Crusader Safaris. They hunt a lot of free range areas targeting the PG species your want.

Zim and Mozambique are probably the most affordable DG options when you include Buffalo or elephant IMO. You can also hunt own use or just take photos to cut a lot of the cost out.

So, I’m still making “payments” for my Zambia Hunt last year. I finally got my trophy’s back to the US and made my 50% payment for taxidermy. I really, really want to go back ASAP, but our Zambia hunt wasn’t cheap. I basically paid $18k for a 10 day hunt (hunt and concession fees), I had $12k in trophy fees, plus tips, airfare, etc. The trophy fees included Buff, kudu, waterbuck, puku, and zebra. The trip was booked through a booking agent. I also paid $3600 to get my trophy’s shipped to the US, and then $1500 for the importer to accept, and then ship the trophy’s to the taxidermist in the US.

I know RSA high fence can be a lot less money, but what about other country’s without fences? Can you save money booking directly through an outfitter? What about 7 day vs 10 day hunts? Do you have to use an importer? Basically, is there a way to hunt Africa without my wife divorcing me for spending $50k again?
Here are some recommendations. South Africa with some exception is a hunting experience different than most of the rest of “hunting Africa”. I will not elaborate on RSA.

Some of the other hunting countries have some pretty steep prices, which are going to based on outfitters costs and supply and demand. Comparing most of Zimbabwe with most of Botswana Botswana is a bit on the expensive side in comparison. I believe Mozambique offers some pretty good prices especially on buffalo. Zambia is certainly not the cheapest to hunt. Tanzania expensive. Zimbabwe is probably one of the cheapest destinations still offering quality hunts.

I will use our own company as an example.
We receive a quota of 26 premium animals
and a lesser amount of PG. This works out to about 15 to 18 hunts a year. We operate out of our home/lodge which is a big savings. Our conservancy due to road conditions is now 4 hrs away (160 ks) away.
Since we only hunt our own area where we live and sell out every year. We employ no agents and will not give a commission to anyone. We do not do shows if we did we would have to add $5,000.00 to each hunt.
Yes its nice to see old friends, but do you want to pay for the luxury of me seeimg old friends.

If you shop around you will find quality hunts at reasonable prices. Then stick to one major animal animal, then ask yourself do I want to spend your money on taxidermy or hunting.

Communicate with outfitters not agents, but use a good travel agent.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.