Africa is just not for me

Thread creep, I plead guilty.

Do the cull hunts, most bang for the buck.
Absosutely worth consideration. I did one with one stipulation that I had to choose one animal for a trophy fee- all the rest were considered cull or meat harvest. For the entire 12 day hunt, I paid a $700 trophy fee for a nice impala ram. It was a great trip with lots of bonuses including fishing and bird hunting for the minimal extra replacement cost of shot shells used. Got to hunt non-trophy eland and most other PG without paying trophy fees. Cull hunts many times include meat animal harvest, herd thinning and older males that have buggered or broken horns. Many of those older broken/broomed horn males are exactly the ones so many hunters are trying to take as trophies. The rules for these hunts vary quite a bit based on needs of outfitter but can save a ton of $ for an equal or better experience. And it takes all the pressure off trying to taking predetermined such and such trophies. Just a matter of resorting an already subjective definition of trophy. :)

I have invited and offered to pay for family members to join me on safari. Their response is They don’t want the long trip . I think they are afraid of being a victim of crime and so far from home.
Crime? hahahaha....
well, there are no safe place around the world, i presume...

I’d like to go to South Africa but probably won’t. I just don’t have a burning desire to make it happen. I wonder, not really hard though, what the non-safari working natives are thinking when, a hunter with his or her entourage in tow, goes driving past. Me Jealous some? Maybe. Although it Might be a mixed blessing that all the people you would like to accompany don’t/won’t go. Because, if enough people went to Africa it could become like walking a skirmish line on opening day for pheasants…in Northern California. (My experience)
I assure you the non poaching natives are very happy to see a hunting truck with a foreign hunter, his entourage, and a truck full of meat pull up;)

And there is no way there will ever be enough sport hunters in Africa to form a skirmish line....

By your comments I don't believe you comprehend the size and scale of the African Continent or even the hunting concessions.

To try to help you imagine, Camp Ripley, a sizable mitary base near where I live is about 55,000 acres. They do serious training there including artillery. The first Concervancy I hunted in RSA was 110,000 acres. The last place I hunted is over 750,000 acres of complete wilderness with no humans living on it year round. Our party was on the larger size with 4 of us between 3 PH's.

Last edited:
Disclosure: I have not read all 17 pages.

I was at DMV the other day and the guy who works there - a gun nut and hunter - noticed RSA in my passport. In short order I was talking about my hunt. He responded with "I have never understood why someone would go all the way over there to hunt when we have so much here." Frankly his response surprised me. So I know there are people - hunters even - who don't want to (apparently) or probably wouldn't go back. For myself, I need a winning Lotto ticket; it'd make life a lot easier.

Undisclosed fact why many won't go to Africa, their wives won't let them. It's like guns, I have acquaintances whose wives won't let them have one. I know, they're pansies, but that's just how it is.

I’d like to go to South Africa but probably won’t. I just don’t have a burning desire to make it happen. I wonder, not really hard though, what the non-safari working natives are thinking when, a hunter with his or her entourage in tow, goes driving past. Me Jealous some? Maybe. Although it Might be a mixed blessing that all the people you would like to accompany don’t/won’t go. Because, if enough people went to Africa it could become like walking a skirmish line on opening day for pheasants…in Northern California. (My experience)

These non-safari working natives didn’t bother to wait for the the entourage to drive past. They were quite pleased to come to the party on their own.

8D1A5A38-CE83-44B4-B54A-D5F150A35BA0.jpeg
2D214797-FC43-481D-BB60-76EAC7317E44.jpeg

I assure you the non poaching natives are very happy to see a hunting truck with a foreign hunter, his entourage, and a truck full of meat pull up;)

And there is no way there will ever be enough sport hunters in Africa to form a skirmish line....

By your comments I don't believe you comprehend the size and scale of the African Continent or even the hunting concessions.

To try to help you imagine, Camp Ripley, a sizable mitary base near where I live is about 55,000 acres. They do serious training there including artillery. The first Concervancy I hunted in RSA was 110,000 acres. The last place I hunted is over 750,000 acres of complete wilderness with no humans living on it year round. Our party was on the larger size with 4 of us between 3 PH's.
I’m trying to put into perspective 750,000 acres of hunting grounds in Africa. The closest I could relate to personally was when I worked on cattle ranches in Northern Nevada. The larger ones claimed over 1,000,000 acres, mostly BLM. I remember taking many hours driving in a vehicle before unloading the horses to start working. If tall grass and trees would be Included I can understand the significant physical challenges trying to navigate the landscape in Africa.

I’m trying to put into perspective 750,000 acres of hunting grounds in Africa. The closest I could relate to personally was when I worked on cattle ranches in Northern Nevada. The larger ones claimed over 1,000,000 acres, mostly BLM. I remember taking many hours driving in a vehicle before unloading the horses to start working. If tall grass and trees would be Included I can understand the significant physical challenges trying to navigate the landscape in Africa.
Trying to compare anything in the United States to any African country, is an exercise in futility. Many discover this when they experience the pace of life, the terrain or methods and style of hunting.
Short description, "This ain't Kansas, Toto".

Undisclosed fact why many won't go to Africa, their wives won't let them. It's like guns, I have acquaintances whose wives won't let them have one. I know, they're pansies, but that's just how it is.
We have client who has hunted with us numerous times. Every time I have to send a letter to his house saying he won the hunt from a raffle. Same person has his mounts in his garage.
Great guy but totally blows my mind!

Years ago I cowboyed on a ranch that was 98,000 acres. It was roughly 20 miles by 10 miles, If that helps put average in perspective.

Yep, I have no sympathy for that! If you let a woman run you then you get what you deserve. That "Happy Wife Happy Life" stuff is a bunch of bullshit. I'm all for working together and making decisions together but I have always found it comical when a guy says my wife "won't let me" ha ha.

Yep, I have no sympathy for that! If you let a woman run you then you get what you deserve. That "Happy Wife Happy Life" stuff is a bunch of bullshit. I'm all for working together and making decisions together but I have always found it comical when a guy says my wife "won't let me" ha ha.
Amen!!!

Years ago I cowboyed on a ranch that was 98,000 acres. It was roughly 20 miles by 10 miles, If that helps put average in perspective.
Trying to compare anything in the United States to any African country, is an exercise in futility. Many discover this when they experience the pace of life, the terrain or methods and style of hunting.
Short description, "This ain't Kansas, Toto".
I have heard the same thing about hunting Alaska

Years back ,i heard a story over here about one guy who had been to somewhere in a african region,had blast of his life ,shot numerose fine game. 21 day trip with all bells and whistles. Came home ,had photos of of him laying around. wife said something like " good tour you had,but who is that woman next to you that you are embracing and kissing " ?

Then came divorce,so it became costly for him in the end.

Years back ,i heard a story over here about one guy who had been to somewhere in a african region,had blast of his life ,shot numerose fine game. 21 day trip with all bells and whistles. Came home ,had photos of of him laying around. wife said something like " good tour you had,but who is that woman next to you that you are embracing and kissing " ?

Then came divorce,so it became costly for him in the end.
That is what we used to call a "tactical error" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think mentally most people are more comfortable staying close to home where they have more control in their mind. Yes, the costs can be more and the success potentially less too but a lot of people like the conveniences. Putting control in other peoples hands creates anxiety, fear, stress and paranoia for some. There is a lot of mistrust in this world.
My hunting experience out in Western USA has not been all positive, less than 50% satisfaction. Some of the reasons were weather, hunting pressure and probably unrealistic expectations for all the money along with years waiting for a permit.
I still think Africa is a great hunting destination and a exceptional value. A lot of people will never experience it but that is their loss. I know I let work and other people get in my way of going to Africa, it happens. I do think we don’t have to justify to your average American why we hunt or go to Africa. Frankly it’s none of their business, no need to argue or explain the benefits of stepping out most people’s comfort level. I know I don’t even try to argue how someone can afford it because you are basically challenging their values and ethics. Some people are going to buy the Starbucks coffee, the newest vehicle or bigger house constantly decorating and keeping up with the Jones. I tell myself I’m not keeping up with anyone but myself. I do things for adventure, experience, my health and memories. People will always judge me and measure me twice but who cares, that is why I keep my true circle small. Let other people enjoy their passions. If deer hunting the same place with the same people every year is their comfort level let them have it to enjoy.

Our safari this year in Limpopo had more contact with non-safari working natives than we were accustomed to seeing. They were 100% supportive. We had to cut through the edge of a town with my giraffe on a trailer (we were hauling it to be skinned and butchered by locals). We were given the international "you're #1" finger by several white people. However, the local black natives were cheering and asking for meat. We experienced similar events more than once during that trip.

Safe hunting

When I lived in Panama, I had an open invitation to friends and family for fishing and none of the "great fishermen" ever came. When I lived in Argentina and Bolivia, same open invitation for hunting and fishing and nobody came. In all three countries I had all the kit and ammo you could need as well as access to free and very low-cost hunting areas.

I really do not understand people. We all must die but most will never really live.

Safe hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg