Africa is just not for me

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This popped in my head the other day as I was mentally planning a future safari to follow up the first safari that hasn't even happened yet. I hear all the time, " you think this is a once in a lifetime trip, but you will go back." " nobody goes to Africa just once". Which all seems to correlate pretty accurately with everyone I have spoken with that has been to Africa, and not just on this forum, but people that I have met at random that have been. Everyone loves it, and everyone I have spoken with recalls it fondly and speaks of how great the trip was. Aside from the actual flight to get there. Ha ha

So, I have a question. Has anyone ever talked to someone who hunted Africa and came back and said, "nope, not for me" I went but I just did not enjoy it and I won't go back. If so was there any particular reason, other than if they just had a bad experience with a particular outfitter or PH which can happen and can sour your taste on the whole experience. Other than that though, has anyone ever met someone who went to Africa on a hunt and just said nope this is not for me, I just don't like it?

I know people who could only afford to go once, but they still wished they could go back.

My son has been there 3x but said he won't soon be going back as it's time to focus on all NA game. Outside of a bad experience or financial woes, everyone I know has been back. As Arnold said: "I'll be back!"

Like BeeMaa stated, I know a couple of people that went once but can’t afford to go back. I initially thought I’d be in that group.
A former deer hunting partner who has hunted Alaska several times, has no desire to hunt Africa.

I wanted to get my wife to Africa to see what I did but she wouldn’t go on a hunt so I got my first PH who is now on his own to give us a Photo Safari since I knew he was into photography. That was January 2020 for that May-June and it didn’t happened.
We pushed it to 2021 still no travel.
We went for 2022. We haven’t taken any chances and she read all the internet lines that said you shouldn’t travel to SA.
My friend/PH said now or not.
I asked about changing it to a Cap Buffalo hunt in 2021 that would have been about the same price but no reply so we ate a $3000 deposit and my wife will never go to Africa unless one of our other friends that we travel with will go again.
Not sure if that fits the question but I wanted to get that out.

Like BeeMaa stated, I know a couple of people that went once but can’t afford to go back. I initially thought I’d be in that group.
A former deer hunting partner who has hunted Alaska several times, has no desire to hunt Africa.
Now I do have a couple buddies on the " they don't have anything I'm interested in over there" train. I have heard all that and it is honestly, mostly from people who just arent willing to tackle the difficulties in planning and executing a trip so its easier to say " I just don't care anything about it"

I'm going for the first time in a couple weeks and almost every person I asked told me that there wasn't anything in Africa that really tripped their trigger. I suspect they secretly would love to go but assumed it would be so expensive they push it out of their minds while planning an Alaska hunt that will probably turn out to be the same price lol

The only people I know who say it’s not for me are folks who are unwilling to go or cannot afford to and don’t want to admit that. I know several people that won’t go because they are scared to send that kind of money to an outfitter overseas.

I wanted to get my wife to Africa to see what I did but she wouldn’t go on a hunt so I got my first PH who is now on his own to give us a Photo Safari since I knew he was into photography. That was January 2020 for that May-June and it didn’t happened.
We pushed it to 2021 still no travel.
We went for 2022. We haven’t taken any chances and she read all the internet lines that said you shouldn’t travel to SA.
My friend/PH said now or not.
I asked about changing it to a Cap Buffalo hunt in 2021 that would have been about the same price but no reply so we ate a $3000 deposit and my wife will never go to Africa unless one of our other friends that we travel with will go again.
Not sure if that fits the question but I wanted to get that out.
My wife is going on this one and this will be the first hunting trip she has been on with me, other than sitting in a deer stand here at home. She has taken to turkey hunting in the last couple years and killed her first long beard this year. We killed a double over a decoy. It was some 8 yards away wild west type stuff and she is pretty hooked on the turkey hunting now. She does not think she will kill anything in Africa. I find it a curious thing with women, they seem to assign value of life based on how cute something is. I will kill a turkey, they're ugly, can't shoot a deer because they are so cute. It would make an interesting psychological study honestly.

I'm going for the first time in a couple weeks and almost every person I asked told me that there wasn't anything in Africa that really tripped their trigger. I suspect they secretly would love to go but assumed it would be so expensive they push it out of their minds while planning an Alaska hunt that will probably turn out to be the same price lol
this is so very true!

I hear this all the time too. Most of the time, it is because they are lazy or too damn cheap to go. I swear, if I hear from another friend that says I want to kill a big mule deer, and then refuse to do anything other than go to Colorado in a unit they've never set foot on that takes zero points to draw and think they are going to bring home a 180 buck every year..... :sneaky:

With some of the above tales related, I'm reminded of a guy I once sat next to at a rifle range...He and others were curious as to why I was checking the sight-ins of a big .338, .375 and .416 (Africa.) Most were in awe and entertained but 1 guy curtly belted out "I have no desire to shoot a Kuduuuuu!" I think he was a bit ignorant of the big world that exists outside his small place in America, and perhaps it was some socioeconomic defense mechanism because he hadn't the funds (nor the prior, proper education in wildlife conservation and outdoor pursuits.) 'Many simply go to the range to blast off 100s of rounds from their black plastic GI Joe toys from Wallyworld. Like my Dad RIP, I call it as I see it. Dems/MSM should adopt that policy! Honestly, looking back...i gave up a job and a trophy wife to make my lifelong dreams happen (i started my own business without either pulling me down any longer.) Be the Employer, NOT the Employee. Everyone has skills that others simply do not. Focu$ on that and you will hunt! ;) :) Find your niche and capitalize upon it. One guy was a local garbage man (during covid)...we chatted out at the road and he said "there are Soooo many people moving here from the Cities to get away from it all," and I said there's a market for cleaning out/cleaning up old houses prior to redecoration by the new owners (housing prices in the area doubled!) I said, if you sign an agreement, I'll give you the $ to get what you need, but you'll pay me 10% in perpetuity....He now makes a LOT more $, has employees, equipment/supplies, hunts whenever and wherever he likes, and I get quite the bonus check for the rest of my life. :) As the mighty PHs say: Do This Thing! ;) Also Nike: Just Do It! On the other side of the coin, I've been invited to join my share of $10K-$30K/yr hunting clubs (akin to country clubs for us Nimrods! lol) but, I'd rather spend it on wildlife conservation, worldwide. Now the GF eats up the rest...when can a guy get a break? LOL

Last edited:
My father is one of those never Africa types. His reasoning is “Why would I want to fly 16+ hours to a Third World country to shoot zoo animals?”

He is so adamant that he actually keeps trying to talk me out of going to Africa. It’s not the money (he could afford it), but instead keeps trying to talk me into an Alaska trip. His idea of a quality hunt looks more like a trip for Mountain Goat.

Different strokes :E Shrug:

in 100% of cases, people that I know who use exact words, are people who never went to Africa for hunt.
Same here... I a number of years ago, I very well off guy I know said he no interest in going to Africa. And cannot believe I spent all summers hunting in Africa, when I should have been hunting North America n the winter. Well long story short. He has been twice to Africa in the last three years and is gong back next summer.

I loved Africa. It was a very emotional experience for me. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. But, I don't strongly feel a pull to go back. Maybe I'm afraid it won't be as special. Maybe I've just got Alaska in my sights now. Maybe because my wife doesn't fly so there was a piece missing.

I am not feeling a strong pull to go back. But, I know exactly what I'd do if I did go back and it's got something to do with settling a score with a Steenbok and spending some quality time with those wonderful, stinky, shaggy waterbucks...

52204869010_38ced86876_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Only person i have talked to who said he has absolutely no interest in going back to Africa was there in Somalia with a special force group
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I can relate, no matter how awesome the hunting is in Fill-in-the-blankastan I am absolutely not interested. I have played that game. Ha ha

"Can't bring back the meat!"(from Africa). This coming from my elk hunting buddy and his son. Three years ago, they went to Newfoundland. His son shot a cow moose and a very small black bear. My buddy shot a bull moose with antlers so small you could barely see them in the photo he took. He did get a nice Woodland caribou though. Their hunt alone was $8K each. Roundtrip airfare over $500 each. The 700lbs. of meat cost $3900 for processing and shipping to Texas from Newfoundland by semi truck. He then had to drive to Texas to pick it up. So, for $21K plus, they had their meat! LOL

I quickly shy away from people who are negative about traveling, visiting foreign places, or hunting or fishing in a different country.

I perceive them as shallow, morally vane, narrow minded, and unhappy individuals. No time or energy for them.

Life is short, the world is big, just go hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.