Africa is just not for me

I quickly shy away from people who are negative about traveling, visiting foreign places, or hunting or fishing in a different country.

I perceive them as shallow, morally vane, narrow minded, and unhappy individuals. No time or energy for them.

Life is short, the world is big, just go hunt!
Dude I live in KY if I shied away from every shallow, narrow minded individual then I would have a very small amount of people to interact with ha ha.

I'm on the flip side of the Africa is not for me. The western U.S. is not for me. Zero interest in elk, mule deer, pronghorns, goats. None, zero, nada. Not going to spend the time or money to bag any of those animals. I have hunted whitetails in Texas and turkeys in Kansas and that's about as far as I want to go.

Edit: either is Alaska or Canada.

I'm on the flip side of the Africa is not for me. The western U.S. is not for me. Zero interest in elk, mule deer, pronghorns, goats. None, zero, nada. Not going to spend the time or money to bag any of those animals. I have hunted whitetails in Texas and turkeys in Kansas and that's about as far as I want to go.

Gimmie a call, I'm with ya!

Same here . I'm not driving across the country for elk and mulies. I've hunted in Maine, Texas, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York, and Alberta (bears) but no interest in the western stuff. I do have interest in wart hogs and bush pigs though lol

in 100% of cases, people that I know who use exact words, are people who never went to Africa for hunt.
I think if someone formed the opinion it's not for them so ont take a trip you do wish too. Don't buy what you don't want. If you already have the mindset you really won't be open to enjoy it, do something else.

Myself, I've been once. Was planned as a once in a lifetime trip and that is to be determined.

I'm glad I went but there are other things I want to do next. I can't have it all so I'll see what comes next.

Some can't wait to go back some can't afford to go.

One mate would like too go but he won't unless he can afford the 3 or 4 trophies he would hunt. I'm not a trophy hunter I went for the experience.

If the right opportunity came up I would go again. Maybe go along and hunt with friends or at least take a Trophy Warthog and see a bit more of the culture and the country.

Even the above post reminds me of my Parents (RIP Dad but Mom's still kicking and a fit, world-traveler at 80ish) They once said to me "Africa? Noooo waaaaaay!" But through all of our safaris, and much travel ads since, she has warmed up to hiking all over the dark continent-I may arrange a family safari oneday (of she, the 1,000s mi/yr hiker and my two kids, both hunters, and their SOs!) IF but just for the wildlife conservation angle, you share your positive experiences from visiting Africa, I'm sure others will warm up to same. All you have to say now is: NO Biden, Peloser, Finesteed, Harris, et. al. Even our African descendant politicians will NEVER visit. Free your mind of the American politics and MSM and go on Safari (at 10x the exchange rate!)

I've never known anyone who has BEEN and doesn't want to go back, but I know several avid hunters who say (as my brother once said), "Well, it's not really on my bucket list." That's not because they are cheapskates or narrow-minded, as some have opined; they would just rather spend the money on lots of duck hunts, deer hunts, hog hunts, quail hunts, bear hunts, nice guns, other kinds of trips, etc. I don't think it's quite fair to categorize everyone who hasn't been yet and doesn't want to go as a cheapskate or narrow-minded--or even impoverished. I've been twice, I want very much to go back, and I probably will at some point. As I said, I've never known a hunter who has been there and doesn't want to go back.

Apparently, Jerome needs to add a "like all" box :p as everything above from Backyard Sniper on down was very interesting and resonated with me very much. For the record, prior to winter, I go on Backyard Safari (armed with Keystone Cricket .22 LR and CCI shotshells-to cull ALL the rodents that would otherwise get into my abode in winter time!) LOL Have a Son! They take care of this stuff (until they fly the coop. ;( ) LOL

I was in the not for me camp for a long time, just had no interest in traveling. Really had no interest in hunting, I hunted a lot as a kid. I was 100% focused on shooting competitions. Then I wasn't able to shoot like I could. Sustained a neck injury that did not allow me to shoot for years. In those years I worked with my sons shooting and took them hunting. I do get more enjoyment and my adrenaline pumps more when they are behind the rifle. My middle son made a deal with me, I agreed and that's how I ended up in Africa. Thought after that I would probably not be back when we first set this plan in motion. We'll it addictive and we were planning our next trip on the way back from the first.

"Can't bring back the meat!"(from Africa). This coming from my elk hunting buddy and his son. Three years ago, they went to Newfoundland. His son shot a cow moose and a very small black bear. My buddy shot a bull moose with antlers so small you could barely see them in the photo he took. He did get a nice Woodland caribou though. Their hunt alone was $8K each. Roundtrip airfare over $500 each. The 700lbs. of meat cost $3900 for processing and shipping to Texas from Newfoundland by semi truck. He then had to drive to Texas to pick it up. So, for $21K plus, they had their meat! LOL
2 good safaris right there! -Larry (the cable guy)

I was in the not for me camp for a long time, just had no interest in traveling. Really had no interest in hunting, I hunted a lot as a kid. I was 100% focused on shooting competitions. Then I wasn't able to shoot like I could. Sustained a neck injury that did not allow me to shoot for years. In those years I worked with my sons shooting and took them hunting. I do get more enjoyment and my adrenaline pumps more when they are behind the rifle. My middle son made a deal with me, I agreed and that's how I ended up in Africa. Thought after that I would probably not be back when we first set this plan in motion. We'll it addictive and we were planning our next trip on the way back from the first.
i've sat next to many a great shooter at the famed 1,000 yd range near me (only to hear "my vision's just not the same, et. al.) and now i notice it happening to me and really feel for them!) Luckily, i'm not shooting at African (or most) game at that distance, and they still become "toast." :p

"Wax On, Wax Off (the neck and primer)" -Arnold Miagi

i've sat next to many a great shooter at the famed 1,000 yd range near me (only to hear "my vision's just not the same, et. al.) and now i notice it happening to me and really feel for them!) Luckily, i'm not shooting at African (or most) game at that distance, and they still become "toast." :p
That is one of the things that happen growing old! Healing up is another.

I was shooting mainly field match (before the PRS was the PRS). It comes in handy when you need to make an improvised shot in a hurry.

I think a big consideration is whether or not you saw any big 5 / 7 animals or if you just stayed in a fenced in PG area. Same goes for cultural experiences, shopping, etc. I would have a hard time going back just to hunt.

In fact, imo, I think it is better to go to Africa and not hunt the 1st trip.

"Can't bring back the meat!"(from Africa). This coming from my elk hunting buddy and his son. Three years ago, they went to Newfoundland. His son shot a cow moose and a very small black bear. My buddy shot a bull moose with antlers so small you could barely see them in the photo he took. He did get a nice Woodland caribou though. Their hunt alone was $8K each. Roundtrip airfare over $500 each. The 700lbs. of meat cost $3900 for processing and shipping to Texas from Newfoundland by semi truck. He then had to drive to Texas to pick it up. So, for $21K plus, they had their meat! LOL
Edit: The meat costs should have been $2900, not $3900. $1300 for processing and freezing in Newfoundland and $1600 for shipping to Texas, plus his travel expenses to pick up the meat in Texas (Ft. Worth?). So, a better deal! LOL

I can think of two.

I read an article in one of the shooting magazines probably a dozen years back of a group trip that the author and a couple friends did. One of the group (don't recall which) was totally unimpressed. He had hunted elk and plenty of other things in the west for days to weeks per animal, sometimes without bringing anything home. So the plains game hunt with multiple animals taken over a week or two was just too easy. He made it clear he wasn't coming back a second time.

The second is a coworker. He's an adamant sheep hunter, both state side and abroad, and just about anything in the state of Alaska where we're at. That's his prioritie and he hasn't deviated. We've talked hunting and while he enjoys the stories of Africa, not once has he had any interest in actually hunting anything there.

My father in law didn’t like it. He was unaware of the fences in South Africa and didn’t like hunting within them. I’ve been trying to get him to go back but he seems pretty uninterested.

'Can simply be directly linked to Bidenomics (or the lack thereof) these days! As I said prior, i easily lost 30 safaris due to these Pukes!

My father in law didn’t like it. He was unaware of the fences in South Africa and didn’t like hunting within them. I’ve been trying to get him to go back but he seems pretty uninterested.
I can understand that. I will never hunt south Africa. Nothing wrong with it, but its just not.my thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.