affordable binoculars

10x are better than 8x if you can have a steady rest or can choose your position, like when birding, or watching game from a stopped car. But if you have walked a few hours, are slightly out of breath, hiding behind a bush in a less than ideal position, then the 10x magnifies your own involuntary unsteadiness, and what you gain in magnification you lose in blur. That's why so many people opt for 8x instead, which are also lighter - a bonus.

For me personally, 10x42s are the largest/clearest binos that I can operate with acceptable steadiness.
But, I also used for a few years a pair of 8x30 Zeiss, with individual eye focus (which I strongly prefer over the center wheel focus so popular today) and really had no complaint worth mentioning.
To be honest, the larger Swarovski's were a gift and even though I knew for a long time that they are the best of the best for clarity, I would never had bought them for myself.

So as not to rip off this thread any further than I already have:
Regarding affordable ones, I had a pair of older Leupold, either 9x35 or 10x35 (can't remember which right now) that I foolishly sold in a financial pinch.
It might be that the first pair I had was 9 power and the replacement pair was 10 power but, otherwise the same binocular ?

They were the ones made with individual eye focus/click adjustable eye pieces.
Later I bought another pair but those were stolen from me.
Then I bought the above mentioned Zeiss 8x30 at a "closeout sale" because Zeiss had replaced this model with their Conquest series of optics.

Sadly, Leupold no longer makes the model binos I described.
But, there must a be a pair popping up on the used market from time to time because they were in production for several years (1980s).

If I was looking for binos in the 3 or 400 dollar range, I would scour the internet for a used pair of those for sure.
Not sure if Leupold ever made them in 40 or 42 mm front lens version or not but, the two pair of 35 mm ones I once/twice had were pretty clear any way, even in mediocre light.

To add to this, I personally often have to use my binos with one hand as the other is often holding a rifle. Add to this that the "bino buddy" straps pull just a bit and this isn't as easy as it sounds. With 10x it would be that much harder.

Hi Royal27,

I'm glad you mentioned the "Bino Buddy" because I tried them on one safari, and found them to be more trouble than they were worth.
Seemed like when I least expected it, I would knock my rifle against my binos.
Plus, they tended to steadily pull my shirts upward and keep an annoying billow of loose fabric above them as I walked.

I became weary of having to pull my shirt back down every half hour or so.
Also, I experienced the unwanted tension you describe when trying to hold them up for even a short look at something.
Got good and tired of the whole idea before I had very many days in the bush with my "Bino Buddies".

I think I gave them to the Tracker, and I will never mess with them again.
I am very happy with the old fashioned - over the shoulder/cross chest single strap.

Stay on that front sight,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
assuming I can pony up the $900, im looking at a couple different binos now. the Swarovski 8x30 CL is on sale till the end of this month and Cabela's Instinct Euro HD 8x32 (made by Meopta). then there is also Meopta's Meostar B1 8x32 but im not exactly sure how different that one is when compared to the Instinct euro HD.

the Swarovski 8x30 CL looks really nice and the one I handled at the store was very impressive but im concerned about the limited field of view at 372 feet. the Cabela's instinct euro HD I handled seemed about equal in quality but has a much larger field of view at 416 feet. seems like Meopta also offers a better warranty then Swarovski.

thoughts?

-matt

I have never tried a pair of Meopta's but they are supposed to make good glass.

Although I'm sure a wider filed of view may let you catch something extra occasionally, to me the clarity to catch a glint of horn or flick of an ear is more important. And I find that when glassing for wildlife, I am trying to focus on a small area like behind that bush or under those trees.... And in Africa, you are going to be standing still desperately trying to see with your binos, the animal a tracker or PH picked up with their naked eye driving a long.

Your still going to have a wider FOV than a pair of 10x.

I'm really thinking I want a smaller pair myself for this upcoming November hunt. Maybe need to be carrying less glass and more water!

The Swarovski 8x30 CL binoculars is the way to go, you will be able to see earlier and later details with those binoculars. Most of the time you have to use your eyes or do some scanning to find game, but the little field of view your talking about won't make a difference.

assuming I can pony up the $900, im looking at a couple different binos now. the Swarovski 8x30 CL is on sale till the end of this month and Cabela's Instinct Euro HD 8x32 (made by Meopta). then there is also Meopta's Meostar B1 8x32 but im not exactly sure how different that one is when compared to the Instinct euro HD.

the Swarovski 8x30 CL looks really nice and the one I handled at the store was very impressive but im concerned about the limited field of view at 372 feet. the Cabela's instinct euro HD I handled seemed about equal in quality but has a much larger field of view at 416 feet. seems like Meopta also offers a better warranty then Swarovski.

thoughts?

-matt

Eagle Optics has them on sale for $880 and no shipping charge plus you save the tax... I just rarely buy this kind of stuff in store these days!!!

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swarovski/swarovski-cl-companion-8x30-binocular-black

I went to Cabela's today and took the Swarovski 8x30 CL and the Cabela's Euro HD (Meopta Meostar B1) for a test drive out in front of the store during the twilight hours (7pm). id say the two optics are equal with each having advantages and disadvantages. the 8x30 CL is a little lighter (17 oz vs 21 oz) and offers a "slightly" better picture at twilight while the Meostar B1 has a better field of view and a better warranty. with my eyes I could barely tell the difference in optics between the two binos with the only obvious differences being weight and field of view. so it really came down to field of view vs weight.

in the end I went with the Euro HD largely due to cost. normally the Meopta Meostar B1 is $900 but cabela's puts their name on them (still says Meostar B1 on the box) and sells them as the Euro HD for $800 with a bonus $100 in cabela's bucks. so in total your getting a $900 bino for $700 with an excellent warranty.

-matt

Thanks for the report on that Matt... sounds like you are getting closer to being fully equipped!

Cost, Value, Performance Assessment= Nice choice

Hard to argue with that logic Matt!!!

I'm sure they will work great for you.

I ended up going with Swarovski 10x42 EL. I had to make a choice since today was the last day I would be in town while sale was on. Between sale price, $75 coupon, all my current Cabelas points plus another 10% in points credited back to my account I got price down to $1800. So price is in the "Oh my god" range instead of "you got to be crazy" range. They are 28oz however I decided the low light clarity should be worth it.

Got them home and tested them by looking from sunlight into heavy woods with leaves and detail is incredible. Should be a big help in trying to pick out what the PH and trackers are seeing without binos.

I also plan to use them on elk trip as well. No inheritance for the kids. They'll just have to pawn them when I croak.

I ended up going with Swarovski 10x42 EL. I had to make a choice since today was the last day I would be in town while sale was on. Between sale price, $75 coupon, all my current Cabelas points plus another 10% in points credited back to my account I got price down to $1800. So price is in the "Oh my god" range instead of "you got to be crazy" range. They are 28oz however I decided the low light clarity should be worth it.

Got them home and tested them by looking from sunlight into heavy woods with leaves and detail is incredible. Should be a big help in trying to pick out what the PH and trackers are seeing without binos.

I also plan to use them on elk trip as well. No inheritance for the kids. They'll just have to pawn them when I croak.

Ridge Top Ranch,

My young trophy wife (still in her 50's) gave to me a pair of 10x42 EL, "Swarovision" coatings, blah, blah - not many years ago.

And, I promise you that yours will show themselves worth every penny you spent on them, time and time again.

When you go for the best, you only cry once, instead of every time you struggle to use it.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Ridge Top Ranch,

My young trophy wife (still in her 50's) gave to me a pair of 10x42 EL, "Swarovision" coatings, blah, blah - not many years ago.

And, I promise you that yours will show themselves worth every penny you spent on them, time and time again.

When you go for the best, you only cry once, instead of every time you struggle to use it.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

That is how you know your wife truly loves you, when she buys the best for you.

I've owned many different pair of high end binoculars, including SLC HD"s, SLCneu, Trinovids, SLC. I've also had the luxury of guiding over 120 hunters over the past 12 years and get to fondle all of their gear as well. I've been hunting the 8x32 Euro HD, and 10x42 Meopta HD for the past year or so, and IMO they compare very favorably with some of the best binoculars made. They are fantastic optically, excellent build quality (very tough), and have a great warranty, unlike Leica which is good for the original owner only (pathetic policy). The Leupold Mojave 8x32's are great too, especially for the $$$.

I took the 8x32 euro hd to Namibia this past May. One of the most impressive things about it is the huge and forgiving depth of field. I don't remember having to refocus them much at all over the 8 hunting days. I have also had the Meopta HD and my 10x42 SLC HD side by side on a tripod for weeks at a time, and if there is a difference I could not find it. Meopta is also one of the very few (2-3) optics manufacturers who grind and polish glass in house, and make all of their own products in house. S&B is one of , if not the only other to do so. You may also know that Meopta made the Zeiss FL spotters for several years, made the Leica spotter for a few years, and the Conquest rifle scopes for few years. Point being that make world class stuff.

The depth of field is something I've never thought of. I live my leupolds but I do constantly focus. I just thought that was the way it was and it has become automatic. I will remember that when it is time for new binos.

Minox make remarkably good value binoculars. A place called Cameraland in New York sells them at good prices.

You will not ever be sorry for that purchase, once the initial shock for spending the money passes and you can sleep in the house again you will realize that it was well worth the backyard bivy! I loved my 10x42's so much I went down and got 15x56 a ST 20-60x80 spotting scope and they threw in a manfroto tripod! I don't have the wife anymore, but I will have the swarovski's till I die. Enjoy them on your elk hunt!

Think I'll keep the wife, and just continue to piece together my equipment as I go...... I had an old neighbor who told me his wife made him a millionaire. He had 2 (millions, not wives) and she divorced him and took half!

After years of packing binos around with some level of discomfort or frustration, I found one of the best pieces of gear anyone can add to their kit. Next to good boots and good glass itself, it is a must for me from now on. The KUIU bino harness is the best way I have found to always have my binos at the ready. It allows you to run, crawl or ride in a truck without have them bouncing, dragging in the dirt, getting in the way or getting rained and snowed on or fogged up under a jacket. It's not cheap at $85 but I would spend the money again in a heartbeat! Here's a couple pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've tried a few other "bino bras" but this one is BY FAR the best. I wear it pretty much all day every day when I'm hunting and don't even know my binocs are there any more. Once you get the fit adjusted the way you want it, it's very easy to make minor adjustments for more or less bulky clothing. It is a great way to keep your expensive new binoculars from getting all banged up too.
Seriously! This is one great piece of gear!

You will not ever be sorry for that purchase, once the initial shock for spending the money passes and you can sleep in the house again you will realize that it was well worth the backyard bivy! I loved my 10x42's so much I went down and got 15x56 a ST 20-60x80 spotting scope and they threw in a manfroto tripod! I don't have the wife anymore, but I will have the swarovski's till I die. Enjoy them on your elk hunt!

I'm +1 with Bullthrower338 on the 10x42 EL's, and Swarovski / Swarovision optiks in general, (even though I only have the binos and none of the other mentioned optics).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross