affordable binoculars

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
im looking for a decent pair of 8x32 binos (or similar) with a price tag of $600 or less. any suggestions?

thanks
-matt

Zeiss Conquest or Nikon's would be what I'd look at/through first.

Not very popular for binos but I've been very happy with my Leupold Mojave 8x32. I've compared them in low light with Zeiss and they are just as good to me.

Check out opticsplanet.com before you buy anywhere else too. They seem to consistently tly have the best prices and often have deals like an extra $50 off a purchase of $30 or more if you aren't in a hurry. Seems like they do that every holiday w labor, memorial, etc... I'm sure they will have great black Friday deals too.

Mojaves are $379 at OP right now.

Go with Zeiss

The last thing I would do is buy bad binocular, you can cut a lot of corners but not on binoculars. Zeiss or Swarovski. And I would go for a 10x40

with binoculars seeing is everything.

I have Leica, Zeiss, Leupold and Bushnell and a few other brands not worth mentioning.

I have listed them in order of preference.

While sitting in the blind with moon light - The Leica and Zeiss come through.

How about watching the elephants, cape buffalo at the watering hole near camp in the dark. You can see with glasses that you only hear by ear with the others.

I agree Leica is excellent!

Matt85,
I just picked up Zeiss Terra ED 10x42, for $399.99 at Bass Pro Shop, Zeiss also has a rebate of $50.00 going on right now. the binoculars seems to do a good job in low light conditions, good luck with your search.

I agree with Royal127 the Leupold Mojaves are good glass. I have a pair at deer camp and they do well looking into low light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with James, where I love my Leupold scopes, I have thought their binoculars to be overrated.

To me a lot of the $400 brands were not to different than the $75 brand ones. certainly some are bigger and heavier in size. The used market for binoculars is good place to look too.

Why are good binoculars important? Because you have a lot invested in hunting, what you can't see, you can not hunt. The devil is in the details. I shot two wrong animals before I bite the bullet and upgraded. And there is not a hunting day that goes by and I think boy was I stupid, for not buying a nice pair and practicing months in advance of the hunt how to use them properly!!!!

The one piece of equipment that never leaves my side hunting is my Swarovski SLC 10x42.

Last edited:
when i bought my cabelas binoculars i compared them to Leupold's mojave and Vortex's bino's (cant remember the name). im not sure about durability but the glass in the cabelas binos seemed much better then the leupolds and about the same as the Vortex bino's. i would like a chance to try out the Zeiss terra bino's but they didnt have any available at the time.

-matt

On a bright sunny day most decent binoculars will work pretty well. Low light is where the quality makes a difference.

Our vision is unique to us. X brand may be the best for me but Y brand for you.

If you can go by one of the big box sporting goods stores on a cloudy day or close to twilight. Tell them you need to take different brands outside to compare them. Someone will probably go out with you or they may hold your credit card. Compare them as it is getting dark. Hopefully they don't have a bright parking lot.

If used doesn't matter, ebay has some good quality for the price. If you are comparing the under $600 range you might also want to look at the Vortex Vipers along with others that have been mentioned.

Let us know what you decide.

All the best.

Look at the Leupold McKinley 8x42 HD binoculars. They are just a shade under $600 and are as good or better than anything I have seen in the $1,000 price range.

We lamented binos before our hunt.. I bought a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD's and my wife went cheap but decent with Vortex, also 10x42... She looked at Swarovski and really wanted them but could not get herself to spend the money... She got to Africa and wished she had.. The Vortex are VERY good glass, but they only have 2 settings on the eye pieces (the adjustment for glasses)... And Ann was frustrated because she wanted them set half way between the in and out setting.

As for an 8x32... If $600 is your limit, cut back on something else and buy a pair of Swarovski CL Companion 8x30. They are $880 on Euro Optic or call up Reed's sporting goods in Walker MN. Swarovski has a sale going on right now for their 75th Anniversary (I think their first sale in 75 years!) and Reed's will really deal and ship to you... I think the sale ends the end of Sept.

Running up a mountain trying to get ahead of a herd of Eland, (and trying to keep Ann from stepping on my heels!) I was wishing I had listened to my gut and bought the CL Companions rather than the 10x42's every one was recommending. Those extra ounces strapped to my chest were adding up at that moment.

NOT buying the Swarovski's will end up costing us a lot more because we will end up getting them anyway. And eyes do NOT get better with age.

I got mine for $900, at times I have thought they were heavy but then again I have never regretted it, but ok 8x30 are fine too for the right person(y)

I have been researching binos for the last year. I have looked through virtually all of them at the same objects one after the other. The best seem to be the Swarovskis. Nikon Monarchs seem to be the best of the less expensive. The thing is that during bright daylight most binos look pretty good. To steal a line from Hemingway are they "true at first light". It is the low light conditions that separate good binos from great binos. Unfortunately most of the animals I have wanted to take were seen in low light conditions such as morning, evening and in thick cover.

I am going to buy a pair of Swarvskis either 10x42 SLC or 10x42 EL. Just waiting for the right time to spring it on the wife.

I really like the Leupolds but if you can find some Jaysons they are fantastic glass. Don't think Jaysons are made anymore but, if you can find a pair....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross