Adjustable Butt Pad on Double???

sureshot375

AH elite
Joined
Feb 6, 2020
Messages
1,205
Reaction score
3,907
Media
32
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
I know a custom fit stock would be the best solution, but has anyone ever seen or tried an adjustable butt plate on a double rifle?

They are prevalent in the shotgun world.

I suppose there could be a durability issue with the recoil of a double. I also suppose maybe it might be more prone to snagging while mounting the gun.

That being said I have a 12 ga sliver pigeon that I hunt with with an adjustable butt pad and I’ve never had a problem mounting the gun in fast hunting scenarios.

I know it wouldn’t look cool.

I have a long ass neck. A few inches of drop in the heel would make for a much better fit.

Am I crazy or has anyone else done this?
 
I can't be the only one who has thought about this. I was looking at my shotguns last night and comparing the relative dimensions.

or maybe I am crazy.
 
I was ridiculed for having a red dot on a double. An adjustable stock would would probably get you shunned from most hunting groups.
 
Holland and Holland had interchangeable recoil pads on double shotguns a number of years ago. It was a slick system and looked as good as you would expect from them. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on a double rifle.
 
I was ridiculed for having a red dot on a double. An adjustable stock would would probably get you shunned from most hunting groups.
I have red dots on both of my doubles and every PH I’ve hunted with is pleased to see it. I have been told by all of them they wish hunters would go to them as it’s much easier to make the shot.

HH
 
Most guns with the adjustable butt pad are comp guns shooting target loads. I would think the recoil on a big bore double might be a bit too much recoil for that butt pad. I would think having a solid stock fitted to the shooter is the way to go. Just my opinion.
 
I can't be the only one who has thought about this. I was looking at my shotguns last night and comparing the relative dimensions.

or maybe I am crazy.
I see no problem doing this to get your correct LOP which is critical on a DR. Just don’t be surprised when your point of aim changes. I would do it in a heart beat to get my correct LOP
 
Here ya go:

1773183734548.jpeg


A stock like this on a fine engraved double rifle will make you the talk of the forum! :E Rofl:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,658
Members
169,797
Latest member
BiancThom
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top