A thread derailed before it even began….

You having much luck? Our season here has has just started. Have a couple of small days organised this year but saving hard so no big ones.
This is a vast new experience for me. I have enjoyed every day walking behind my dogs. Flushing dogs require one to be ready at all times and I’ve been slow on several flushes. I am finding out that ECS don’t give you the look like a lab will. They smile and seem to say that was fun let’s go find another. :A Thumbs Up:

Always wondered why you hang them by the feet? Taught never to do this as any loose gut juice will spoil the good meat. Hence hang ‘em by the neck where it will pool in the gut cavity away from the beasts.
These are big heavy birds. Their heads can pop off easily if carried that way on a hanger, especially if neck is wrung. Then it's switch to hanging by the feet and a much more bloody mess.

This is a vast new experience for me. I have enjoyed every day walking behind my dogs. Flushing dogs require one to be ready at all times and I’ve been slow on several flushes. I am finding out that ECS don’t give you the look like a lab will. They smile and seem to say that was fun let’s go find another. :A Thumbs Up:
My Lab is a pointing machine. The best of both worlds. She works close like a flushing dog (vs most pointers in the next zip code) and points rock solid like a setter. Best feature is she is incredible finding downed birds in thick cover. But almost never will retrieve honkers field hunting (though she's great on water retreives). Always something I guess. I'm not going to sweat it.

Just to derail the thread I need a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea. Not by choice and the power will be an issue at some point.

Seeds of several varieties that grow well in the area.

I would need seeds that grow meat to go with the veg.
Damn, I need to take rifles and a lifetime supply of ammo. Aside from water it's the heaviest thing we have to lug around.

There is abundant fresh water and assume the game laws apply

We have laws here but it seems like the game laws are pretty strict there and there is plenty of enforcement staff and support.

Every once and awhile it seems a thread takes on a life of its own. Generally someone asks an open ended question and allows room for it to be speculative and then stands back and watches the madness. Several jump out at me that keep popping up “what’s your favourite three calibers” and “what’s your dream safari” for example. It got me thinking about starting a thread purely for the entertainment value of it. So here is the challenge I’ve come up with.

Compile a list of gear you’d bring for a year off grid/alone. Now that to me is so open ended that we’d never get two answers remotely similar so let’s set some basic perimeters:
- all of your gear must fit into a 5x8x4 foot space ( a standard length truck box with cap)
- weight should be realistic to what a 1/2 truck could carry
-location is costal 45 degrees north
- not enough local vegetation to sustain draft animals for a year
-drop off will be the first day of spring
-from drop of to pick up 365 days later your completely self reliant. No outside contact help
-game animals are present but not overly abundant (your going to have to hunt for them)

Well there it is that’s my question , a thread like this is just asking to be derailed. So gentleman do your worst.
@Skinnersblade
Vegemite, Bundy and a good 35 Whelen with plenty of ammo are the basic essentials.
Don't forget a good chainsaw and petrol for a camp-fire when friends drop in. As you know as soon as you light a camp-fire someone soon turns up.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

There are a number a ways a year in the wilderness can go wrong. The big ones that I can think of are: exposure, injury/illness, thirst, hunger, and boredom/loneliness. Need a plan to address all of them. Have 5x4x8 cubic feet worth of stuff to do it.

Exposure: I live in NC, so my experience with real cold, particularly the wet cold I expect to experience in this scenario, is limited at best. But I know enough to know exposure is a big issue. I would not want to spend a year in a tent, but I would certainly want an arctic tent to have someplace to start. Something like this: https://www.slingfin.com/products/arctic-6 along with an appropriate small stove/ stovepipe. Sounds like there will be enough easily-gathered wood that I wont need fuel, but i wouod bring a small pile of wax firestarters to make life easier the first few
days. I actually consider shelter so critical that I would bring a duplicate tent if there were space.

Clothing will be critical. I'm in general a fan natural fibers, particularly in outdoor situations where durability is important and/or around fire. That said, a set of down outerclothes, including booties and mittens will pack down to nothing and could come in handy.

So as to to not make this unreadably long, won’t specify everything on clothing but basically:
Warm Weather clothing: minimum 2 sets,
everything permethrin treated, including head net.
Winter clothing: minimum 2 sets. This will be layers for versatility
Boots: 2 pairs warm weather, 1 cold/dry, 2 cold/wet
Plenty of wool socks
Sewing kit.

I’d plan to build something better/more comfortable , most likely a small log cabin. Will specify tools later. Would build big enough to fit the tent inside for extra warmth but not much bigger, both to save labor and to make it reasonably easy to heat. Portable wood stove for heating/ stove pipe/ stove pipe jack. 2 fire extinguishers.

Sleeping pad, sleeping bag, pillow, multiple blankets. I am far more comfortable under blankets than in a sleeping bag but if it gets cold enough, one must do what needs to be done

Rain gear: something durable such as is worn by fishermen or oil pipeline workers. Don’t plan to be outside in the rain but better to have it and not need it.

Attachments

• Arctic 6 – SlingFin.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Injury/Illness:

The most likely injuries are to the hands. So, protective gloves all the time. The rubber-coated showa gloves (insulated and not) are great for wood handling. Need cut-resistant gloves for whenever a knife is being used, and at least one pair of very warm over mittens

First Aid Kit/ medical kit: my usual medications, basic wound treatment, tourniquet, sutures, local anesthetic, etc., decent supply of broad-spectrum antibiotic, meds for constipation/diarrhea, analgesics, splinter removal gear, eye flush, mirror. I’m a physician so I can do (and have done) a fair amount to help myself, but if something really major happens, I’m going to call for a dust/off.

Crampons or calked boots to reduce chance of slipping on ice. I’d prefer to hole up, but nice to have.

Animal attacks are unlikely, but plausible. I’d bring my R8 and a few boxes of ammo- 375HH, TSX. Would also serve for hunting if I wanted to. Trapping is far more efficient for food and I don’t plan to live off the land. But nice to be able to shoot something should I want or need to.

Animal nuisances are likely; mouse/ rat traps will be nice and don’t take up much space. Bug spray. Since we are traveling by truck, to the extent possible, all food is going to be in something strong and animal proof/ resistant such as ammo cans.

Rechargeable lantern/ flashlight/ headlamp. Solar panel. Walking around in the dark is a great way to get injured, as is using a kerosene lantern or other such fire hazard for lighting.

Plenty of DEET.

Vaccinations up to date, particularly tetanus (without exposure to people, the rest aren’t that important). I’ve already had rabies vaccine, so one less thing to worry about.

Hygiene: keeping clean will help. Since we are traveling by truck, there’s room for a bucket and wash tub as well as plenty of soap, a couple of washcloths and towels, and laundry detergent. Nail clippers/file/razors/ scissors

Sunglasses, extra eye glasses, boonie hat, and a small amount of sunscreen if I don’t already have my base tan. Usually don’t need sunscreen but may be forced to be outside long enough initially that I’d want it to get past the first week.

2 small solar electric fence chargers and bag of insulators. Roll of wire. Proven effective on bears, so will use to create perimeter around camp to deter bears.

Satellite phone to call for evacuation

Butt wipes and toilet paper as space allows.

Last edited:
Thirst/ Hunger:
Water is plentiful; will need ability to sanitize and store. Some of the food supply will be packed in plastic bottles that will be repurposed for water storage as they become available. Most water can be sanitized by boiling; will want 2 filter bottles to use while initially setting up camp

Food: No plan to live off the land. And no need- we have the space. Maybe not to live happily, but enough space for food sufficient to live. A can of spam takes up minimal space and has enough fat and protein for a day and about 1000 calories. A pound of rice has 1600 calories. Not enough calories for heavy work in the cold, but more than enough to get by if you spend most time inside by the fire. Add in a Costco- size bottle of vitamins to avoid scurvy. Probably want some source of fiber, so dehydrated vegetables in cans. That would be an adequate but monotonous and over time, miserably monotonous diet. So after everything else is set and packed, I’d start substituting out until space is filled. For example, there are numerous substitutes for a pound of rice such as a pound of pasta, oatmeal, dry potato, wheat/ flour, sugar etc. Most take up more space, but well worthwhile to switch it up as space allows.

Replacing the spam is harder because it has little water and it is a rectangular can so it packs efficiently. A pound of canned roast beef isn’t going to replace it because of the water content. Would need to add olive oil, butter, or some kind of fat. Other types of Spam are close to interchangeable and provide variety. But the same basic principle applies: switch it out with a nutritional equivalent as space allows. There are lots and lots of canned meats and fishes, as well as sources of fat such as canned butter. Round cans are not as space efficient as rectangular cans so the latter are preferred. Can fill the interstitial spaces with rice. Won’t be the neatest and it will not be well-stored but if the cans are placed in a heavy garbage bag first, most of the rice could be salvaged. I wouldn’t count on that rice as it isn’t protected, but would rather consider it bonus calories to be eaten ASAP for as long as it is edible.

Cooking gear (for use on cook stove or campfire). At least one big pot that will be used for boiling water. Wear gloves when cooking to avoid burns

Need a means to start fires. Long bic is super convenient as long as it’s warm enough to use. Good quality matches properly stored. Should plan to light as few fires as possible and instead bank them and/ or keep them going as much as possible.

Spices, salt (not needed when eating spam but never know when I might catch a fish!)

Chocolate/ hot chocolate/ tea if and as space allows.

Last edited:
Boredom/loneliness:
I’d download a crapload of books, movies, and podcasts for my ipad and phone. If Starlink works at the location, that’s a no-brainer.

AM/ FM/ shortwave radio. I’ll have a lot of time on my hands. Plenty of time to play around trying to find something to listen to

Gill net/ fishing gear. As per above, not planning on living off the land. Fishing is like hunting: it is for recreation; trapping/ netting is for survival. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a fresh trout.

To the extent allowed, would spend at least some time making traps. More to have something to do than with the expectation of results.

Having something constructive to do is a
good antidote to boredom. Building various things to improve life is as much about the building as about the having

The first major activity aftersetting up camp would be digging a latrine, putting up a supply of firewood, and building a small cabin, then if/as time allows, a firewood shelter. Building supplies and miscellaneous tools not already listed:

Saw: 3 silky saws. Very space- efficient and much safer than a chainsaw. I'm very tempted to bring a battery powered chainsaw as it is a real time saver, but also an injury risk. between the space it takes up and the need for oil that tskes up more space, ill leave it at home.

Axe: I've had and used my large forest axe for a long time. Useful in many ways. Sharpener.

2 Leatherman tools.

Modest-sized fixed blade knife.

A couple of tarps and a nice spool of paracord.

30 foot rope

Box of nails, multiple sizes, include a couple dozen good-sized landscape spikes and a hammer (axe will work if space is too tight, but a really nice hammer is really nice). Don’t strictly need them to build a cabin but makes life easier

Brace and a couple of bits.

Solar charger (if not already listed)
Rechargeable batteries
Charging cables

A couple of long, complicated books (in case electronics give out, would still have some entertainment)

3 pack of legal pads and pencils.

Thus concludes my first pass. I’ll review later to figure out what I’ve missed or need to revise.

Been sitting in the emergency department with my brother forever. I’ve really appreciated having something to do for the last 3 hours!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.