A Simple Question RE: The RUGER Hawkeye African in 9.3x62mm...

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
So how do the govt/customs or whoever check your bullets energy? Are you required to provide load data or shoot at a gun range?

If not and at the risk of sounding facetious then does it really matter?
Well the first example that comes to mind would be if you wound a buffalo or elephant and your PH gets killed following it up. In that case I think your gun and ammo could be confiscated and checked. Might get you in a World of trouble and not sure of Zimbabwe laws but I suspect in the US you could be charged with a minimum of involuntary manslaughter.

Red Devil

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Zimbabwean

Zimbabwean Law states that the calibre must be larger than 9,2 mm or .362 in and must have energy of 5,4 kJ or more (3909 ft/lbs) for elephant/buffalo/hippo. Lion would need 7mm(.275 in) calibre and 4,3 kJ (3172 ft/lbs) Leopard 7mm and 2213 ft/lbs. These are minimum legal calibre and energy. I believe that a 9.3 x 62 can make the energy with judicious handloads but I think most factory ammo falls short of energy for buffalo and elephant. Lion and leopard are legal with most factory ammo.

For a 24" Bbl'ed 9.3x62?

3909 lb-ft of ME - is a 286 gr. bullet @ 2481 fps, or a 300 gr. bullet @ 2423 fps.

A very top load at ~ 60K psi. (and a stouter bullet than the NP)

The spec was probably inclusive of the heavier 9.3x64mm Brenneke and 9.3x74R loads, but the 9.3x62 is do-able.

Red.

Attachments

• LrkxlS8.jpg
    LrkxlS8.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Well the first example that comes to mind would be if you wound a buffalo or elephant and your PH gets killed following it up. In that case I think your gun and ammo could be confiscated and checked. Might get you in a World of trouble and not sure of Zimbabwe laws but I suspect in the US you could be charged with a minimum of involuntary manslaughter.
For a US citizen I guess that's a possibility albeit an extremely slim one.

From my experience with the range of calibres I've seen people use I feel a ph is more likely to be in a position of having to follow up wounded big game from a guy flinching with his hand canon than a guy that can thread a 9.3 round through the eye of a needle that's shooting a few ft/lbs below the minimum.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
So how do the govt/customs or whoever check your bullets energy? Are you required to provide load data or shoot at a gun range?

If not and at the risk of sounding facetious then does it really matter?
I agree, probably unlikely that you would be checked but everyone in Zim will assume that your loads do not make the legal energy requirement unless you can prove it. There are well respected people who would check your reloads over a chrono at the gunrange but I am pretty sure that you would pay more than a 375 rifle before you were done. National Parks could very easily pick it up because 9,3 is NOT legal. Bring a downloaded 375 or larger and I am pretty sure you are right that no one will check. That is just the way the cookie crumbles !

Red Devil

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I agree, probably unlikely that you would be checked but everyone in Zim will assume that your loads do not make the legal energy requirement unless you can prove it. There are well respected people who would check your reloads over a chrono at the gunrange but I am pretty sure that you would pay more than a 375 rifle before you were done. National Parks could very easily pick it up because 9,3 is NOT legal. Bring a downloaded 375 or larger and I am pretty sure you are right that no one will check. That is just the way the cookie crumbles !

Maybe bring your $100 SHOOTING CHRONY and a pocket calculator in your kit?

Red

Attachments

• chronyheld.jpg
    chronyheld.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Recoil is recoil. Foot lbs are foot lbs. I love it when guys say its not "noticeable"o_O:confused:. Of course its noticeable!:eek: Doesn't mean you go home bruised and bleeding after a range session, but its noticeable allright. The recoil from my .303 British with steel buttplate is noticeable I will tell you:eek: and that kicks a lot less than the 9.3's do! I have owned and extensively loaded for and shot lots of 9.3 loads, and with top loads you are going to "notice" the recoil unless you are just numb from the neck up!;);)

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
I use 9,3 x 62. This is very good caliber for dangerous game. It's forgotten caliber for a dangerous game in Africa.
9,3 x 62 slowly regains place among calibers for a dangerous game.
I use cartridges from Norma and from RWS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WendellGri

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...