A more powerful 338?

Matt what you are asking is pretty much impossible unless you range and dial. Personally I do not like holdover reticles, but other people really like them.
Something like a VX-6 with a CDS dial, a ballistic app on you phone and a laser range finder will have those baboons looking for cover out to 600yds plus.

im pretty sure I just gave you the numbers showing it was possible. with any of the cartridges I posted at the beginning of this thread you would be able to effectively have a 400 yard rifle without having to aim at the air above a animal. im not sure about the 338 RUM, 338 Lapua and the 338/378 but the 340 WBY is capable of only having 9" of drop at 400 yards which means on most animals you would aim just on top of their back (I don't hunt the tiny 10). for a baboon sitting on a rock you would aim at the head and hit the animal center mass at 400 yards. considering that the 340 WBY is the smallest of the cartridges listed that means the other cartridges would shoot even flatter.

im considering trying a leupold 2-12x42 with the B&C reticle which would have some marks as reference points at long range but ive always been nervous about having extra stuff in my sight picture.

-matt

Yep you can set them up with a 9" drop at 400yds, but what is the mid range trajectory height?
I ran a Barnes 210 TTSX at 3150. With it being 3" high at 100yds you get 9" low at 300yds but 4" high around 180-200yds.
Having it 2.5" high at 100 keeps it at 3" high max but 11.5" low at 400 yds.
Of course run it faster, but the Barnes 210 has a lowish BC so will be pushed around by the wind (10" at 400yd with a 10 mph wind) compared to a 250-300gr offering. But you won't get the velocity with them so the drop will be more.
I set up my longrange rifles so I have a 100yd zero. I then dial 2.5MOA into the scope. That way I have a dead on hold out to 300yds. From there I dial. Works really well and is very fast. Only one reticle to worry about, and I don't have to worry about scope mag being correct for the holdover to work.

In order to get only 9 inches of drop at 400 yds, you would need a 300 yd zero, which is fine as long as you remember you will need to hold low on critters in the usual hunting ranges. You might also look into other bullets with a higher ballistic coefficient, in that weight range. Or....get closer.:D

3" high at 100, 4" high at 180, 9" low at 400 this I can work with in the field. im not having to guess how many inches I am above the animal.

however, I could use the 338/378 cartridge and push a 225gr bullet at 3300fps or even a 250gr bullet at 3100fps for greater BC. the 225gr bullet at 3300fps would be around 3.5" high at 175 yards and 8" low at 400 yards.

getting closer is always the goal, but getting closer in the flats of central Namibia is often not an option (no cover). we climb the mountains to get as close as p0ssible but the ranges were still often very far.

-matt

Matt if you are looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle I'm supportive but a new scope would do everything you want and a hundred times more than a single reticle scope on a faster rifle. You seem to be saying you want to shoot long range without long-range tools. Why not use them if that's your goal? Going to a 185 grain bullet in your current 338 would even help a lot if 400 yards is your goal.

wouldn't a 185gr .338" bullet be extremely wind sensitive and have problems with proper penetration on very large game (animals over 800 pounds)? early on i dismissed bullets under 200gr as being too light for caliber.

i already said i was open to a new scope earlier in this thread. if you can suggest a scope then ill look into it. my only requirement is that the low end of the magnification be no higher then 3x. im currently taking a very hard look at the Leopold vx-6 2-12x42 but they dont seem to offer the kind of reticles you guys are talking about.

-matt

I've killed loads of elk and moose with 6.5s and 270s and 7mms so I have no worries about a 338 with a 185 grain bullet. It's all about the bullet construction. Use something super tough that holds together and no issues. Wind affects all bullets, heavy ones less but at long ranges you still need to compensate. The trick is understanding how to compensate for your bullet or just don't take the shot if you aren't sure. The difference between a 210 and 185 would be minimal. I run a 3-15x42 Zeiss HD5 with Rapid Z600 reticle on my 338WM. It's yardage indicated and can be adjusted for different loads, elevation, temperatures etc.

wouldn't a 185gr .338" bullet be extremely wind sensitive and have problems with proper penetration on very large game (animals over 800 pounds)? early on i dismissed bullets under 200gr as being too light for caliber.

i already said i was open to a new scope earlier in this thread. if you can suggest a scope then ill look into it. my only requirement is that the low end of the magnification be no higher then 3x. im currently taking a very hard look at the Leopold vx-6 2-12x42 but they dont seem to offer the kind of reticles you guys are talking about.

-matt
I think the leupold custom shop will put pretty much any of their available reticle a in any of their scopes.

Matt;
What scope did you use in Namibia?

I think you would love the Luepold VX6 2-12, and why not spend the extra $100 for the lighted reticle just to have it available? The B&C reticle is really not very intrusive, of the range indicated reticles, it seems to be about as basic and simple as it comes.

A further option is to send in for the custom CDS dial... I did hear you that you don't want to have to adjust anything when hunting and I'm in general agreement... however on the real long shots, one generally has time as the critter does not usually know you are there.. Other than those damned baboons ;) and in any case, the couplon for this option comes with so no extra cost and you don't need to use it but can have it available. You would first need to settle on one bullet and load.

Speaking of bullets, you certainly know more than I do, but I did use the light for caliber 250 grain GMX in my M70 375 H&H for bear in BC this past spring and they performed flawlessly, dropping my black bears in their tracks with one clean shot quartering through the shoulders/chest.

Another scope to look into is the Leopold VX6 in 3-18... Big bulky scope but great optics for the money... And I have never heard much complaining from you about carrying extra weight....

I also agree with @sheephunterab about that Zeiss HD5 (and the Z800 version). They are nice light weight scopes with incredible glass quality for a 1" tube and decent price. Especially when you find them on sale.

I also agree with @sheephunterab about that Zeiss HD5 (and the Z800 version). They are nice light weight scopes with incredible glass quality for a 1" tube and decent price. Especially when you find them on sale.

The Z600 is typically a little better suited to the .338WM. It allows you to use higher magnification than the Z800 would. Especially when using bullets that are +200 grains.

The Z600 is typically a little better suited to the .338WM. It allows you to use higher magnification than the Z800 would. Especially when using bullets that are +200 grains.
I bow to your expertise on that;) I see the Z600 on sale more often as well:)

The 600 is well suited to 30-06, 270 type velocities where the 800 is better suited to 7mmRM, 270WSM type velocities.

I went thru the same decision making ordeal when setting up a mid to long range rifle. I didn't want to mess with adjusting turrets in the field so a ballistic compensating reticle was the simplest solution. I've always been a Leupold guy so I was torn between the VX6 3-18 with B&C reticle or the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 with BRH reticle. I ended up going with the Swaro and have been thoroughly impressed. No doubt the Leupold would've been a great choice as well. Consistent hit are no issue at 500 yards.

KIMG0077.jpg

It's really a beautiful rifle. Im normally not really into push feeds. But this rifle was 500$ out the door and it's in like new condition.

Oh ya. I've still never scoped it. I've just shot it with the iron sights. Good scopes aren't cheap. I bought the dies and hornadys cheapest offerings and loaded a few rounds. Planing on dialing this rifle out someday

I'd say the big gain with the 185 is a much superior bullet for larger game. For the smaller stuff the SST is ideal though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rugermagnum

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,