Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Gonna be some impresive elephants hunted in Botswana when it gets going again

There sure are. I’ve seen some absolute monsters in Ngamiland.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Yip I think the average will be 70 lbs...thick tusked boys.....
Botswana definately has huge bodied elephant...largest track I followed was 26 inches....many places 18 inches will warrent further investigation....

Happy Myles

Gold supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Chad, Benin, Ethiopia, Ruwanda, Burugi, Mo, Cameroon, C.A.R.mozambique, Namibia\, So Africa, Congo, , Botswana,, All No America, All Central ASia, Mongolia
As I recall, some elephant move back and forth from Botswana northward across the Caprivi Strip (Namibia), into southern Angola and back again. Ages ago we picked up a huge track at a water hole on the Botswana border on the Caprivi side and tracked it for two days, giving up when the bull crossed over into Angola. May not look far on the map, on foot it was a lot of steps.
By the way, the chap standing behind the bull in the first photo is PH Michael Mantheakis. He has some great concessions in Tanzania where I have hunted with him several times. All great safaris in tented camps situated in scenic wild country.

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
in my humble opinion any and all elephants are great trophies.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Yip I think the average will be 70 lbs...thick tusked boys.....
Botswana definately has huge bodied elephant...largest track I followed was 26 inches....many places 18 inches will warrent further investigation....

I wear a size 10. When we decided to follow the bull I eventually took his track was two boot prints plus 2”. Crazy the size of those bulls in N Botswana!

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
It's been 7 years since Botswana closed hunting. How much tusk weight can an Elephant put on in that time frame?

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
It's been 7 years since Botswana closed hunting. How much tusk weight can an Elephant put on in that time frame?
A LOT!!! Recently checked out Johan Calitz’ NG41 concession and he himself said that the trophy quality has increased dramatically over the past few years.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
A LOT!!! Recently checked out Johan Calitz’ NG41 concession and he himself said that the trophy quality has increased dramatically over the past few years.

My friends are sending me photos from NG43. The size of the tuskers they are seeing is crazy. They’ve had excellent rains and the Kalahari is beautiful.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
Almost sounds like you mean all the big ones where shot before it closed....
Tusks grow throughout the life of an elephant, 5 to 7 ponds per annum, depending on area and age of elephant. Bigger mature bulls grow faster than small ones...

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
Almost sounds like you mean all the big ones where shot before it closed....
Tusks grow throughout the life of an elephant, 5 to 7 ponds per annum, depending on area and age of elephant. Bigger mature bulls grow faster than small ones...
Not at all. I was just wondering how big the bulls would be, that were already big at the time of closure? Are those 60-70 pound bulls now approaching 100? If so, it could be a bull hunting paradise.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
Depends on area food availibilty age etc. But yes I would certainly not be surprised if a number of bulls over 90 lbs are taken.
Botswana bulls tend to have shorter but thick tusks. Judging them is also not easy, diameter at the lip is most important as well as shape.
I know of one most impressive looked at least 80 lbs, then realised the tusks were not round but rather oval dropping him down to mid 60lbs.

Experienced Bots PH know how to judge them others often under judge them....

Never try to judge weight from behind or quartering from behind you will always over judge....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Piers

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.